Windows XP Ikasu Filmscan 35-I

Reaction score
I have a Dell Dimension 5000 Computer and Windows XP. The problem is that I had an Ikasu Filmscan 35-I for Xmas and can't load it onto the computer as it thinks it is a Dell printer! Help please?

Reaction score
Steve Rickett

Hi Muckshifter,

Just had another look at the ASPI thingy! again and its dated 2002 do you think it could be out of date!

Thanks for your help
Steve

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
err, no, it int out of date, was built primarily for SCSI then had the ATAPI interface (such as IDE) added ... most printers these days use USB and need the correct drivers loaded at the right time for that printer. Pain in the rear.

Microsoft did not include ASPI in Windows 2000/XP, in favor of its own SPTI. So, it may be worth a try. :)

Dell don't help with their "we build PCs our way, lump it baby" attitude ... wouldn't surprise me to find crap implementation of the usb ports.

:user:

Reaction score
Hell Muckshifter,
Still no joy with the film scanner. Its driving us nuts. It says the programme is installed we then plug the scanner into the usb port but nothing happens and We then have a new message "Acquire source field...restart DSM" Can you tell me what is a DSM?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
That will be the Data Source Manager which is associated with the TWAIN driver.

I'd be looking for the latest drivers and I would also be buying an "external powered HighSpeed USB hub" to eliminate any power problems off the PCs USB ports ... make sure it has it's own power source, cheap enough. :thumb:

Scanners use TWAIN it is a rigidly defined layer that must be implemented correctly by sources, and accessed correctly by applications. If iKasu did a good job of writing their drivers, you shouldn't have a problem. ;)

I've had a look at the manual, it's very straight foreword as I see it, even Vista is mentioned. :D So I dunno, except it's a Dell, why you are having these problems.

user.gif

Reaction score
Hello Muckshifter,
Thought you would like to know that Ikasu have admitted that we probably have a faulty photo scanner so we have sent it back for replacement!

Ask a Question