Windows XP IE6 trouble

Reaction score
Please could someone help me with this problem? When I try to run IE6 , I get an error message window saying "Windows cannot find '(null)'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search." And I cannot open the browser. However, Im typing this through the 'Search' option on the Start menu.

Also, my desktop background has changed itself to a flickering background of white and light yellow and I cannot access Desktop properties by right clicking on the desktop. When I right-click I get a drop-down menu that looks the same as when one right-clicks within an IE6 webpage.

edit : the desktop file turned out to be an HTML file!

I tried various online scans and tests but all report normal activity on my computer and none found anything wrong.

Im running on WINXP SP1.

HELP!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Tried it. The installation file doesn't run!

MEssage appears: "A previous installation has pending work requiring a reboot. You need to restart your computer to complete that installation before running Internet Explorer Setup. Setup will now close."

But I've tried rebooting and running the setup program with al lother applications shut down. Still, I get the same message!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I wouls say you have a virus, If the desktop is flickering and IE cant be opened. Try a system restore. Have you scanned for nasties?

Ask a Question