Windows XP windows media player becomes default software for all applications

Reaction score
My laptop's windows media player (WMP) has become the default software for all applications like the quick launch toolbar: internet, show desktop and media player. Even the apps on the start menu and desktop have all been turned into WMP icons and when I click on them, WMP will try to open it and, of course, cannot and a dialog box shows: WMP cannot play the file. I tried right clicking the apps icons to find an alternate way of opening them but it does not give me the option to open the file any other way except through WMP. Even media files (music, videos) do not open using the WMP. I also tried running through "Safe Mode" but it does the same thing. I ran an AVG virus scan but results were negative for any virus. Is there a switch that might have been accidentally turned on? If there is, how do I disable it? Please advise. Thank you for your time.

Reaction score
Windows Media Player (WMP) Became Default for All Applications

Dear Muckshifter,

Thank you for your post. Unfotunately, the Microsoft solution did not work because when I right click an app, it does not give me the option to choose the program to open it so I cannot change the file association. All right click options from the drop down menu are there EXCEPT: Open With. There is an Open option but if I cllick on that, it goes to WMP.

Thank you for any help.

Ask a Question