IE Startup Problems

I have wWndows XP Pro and have 4 different User Accounts.
I am double clicking the IE icon and this inturn starts up the SBC DSL
Internet Connection and opens up the IE browser.
I cannot start up IE and the Internet Connection in one User Account but can
start up IE and the Internet Connection when in any of the other 3 User
Accounts.
What can be different in the One User Account that I cannot start up IE and
the Internet Connection ?
Please help.
Thank you,
Paul

Don Varnau

Hi,
Look for another program, BHO, toolbar, add-on, etc. to be causing this.
Disable or uninstall unneeded toolbars. If running XP SP2, try IE> Tools>
Manage add-ons. Disable third-party add-ons to see if one of them is the
culprit. If not using SP2, try ToolbarCop from
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm

If not caused by a legitimate program, it may be a malware problem.
See these sites for help:
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
Malware Removal and Prevention Overview - CastleCopsWiki:
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Overview
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.html
Removing Malware:
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don,
Thank you for your reply.
Seeing that the other 3 Window User Accounts are not having a problem with
IE --isn't each User Account within XP Windows actually using the same copy
of IE or does each User Account have it's own copy of IE within Windows ?
I really thought there was only one copy of IE on the system ?
Sorry, I am confused.
Paul

carolpm said:
I have wWndows XP Pro and have 4 different User Accounts.
I am double clicking the IE icon and this inturn starts up the SBC DSL
Internet Connection and opens up the IE browser.
I cannot start up IE and the Internet Connection in one User Account but can
start up IE and the Internet Connection when in any of the other 3 User
Accounts.
What can be different in the One User Account that I cannot start up IE and
the Internet Connection ?
Please help.
Thank you,
Paul

Don Varnau

Hi Paul,
Yes, there's one Internet Explorer, but it can be customized by each user.

BHOs and other add-ons to IE are installed to IE for that user account. You
could have the Google toolbar installed while another user has the Yahoo
toolbar.

Malware (spyware, hijackers, adware) can affect some or all user accounts.
That's why you need to find the program, BHO, etc that's affecting *that*
user account.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don,

I didn't know that each User can customize there IE.

Does that hold true for every program like the MS Office Suite products like
Excel or Word also relative to different add-ons for each User ?

I will go to my Client's PC and figure out the culprits User Account Add-On
that is causing the problem.

Thanks again,
Paul

"carolpm" <carolpm[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I have wWndows XP Pro and have 4 different User Accounts.
I am double clicking the IE icon and this inturn starts up the SBC DSL
Internet Connection and opens up the IE browser.
I cannot start up IE and the Internet Connection in one User Account but
can
start up IE and the Internet Connection when in any of the other 3 User
Accounts.
What can be different in the One User Account that I cannot start up IE
and
the Internet Connection ?
Please help.
Thank you,
Paul

Don Varnau

Hi,
Ummm... don't quote me on this <G> but things such as toolbar configuration
are a per user setting. I suspect that add-ons (such as the Avery Label
Wizard for Word) are per user options.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

: