I/O device error

Reaction score
Hi,
I just found this site and wanted to see if this was a good place to go to look for help.
I have been saving files onto an external hard drive. All was working fine until this morning.
I had two different folders started on this drive and now I can only access one of them.
I get the error " F:\XXXXXXXXX is not accessible.
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
The XXXXXXXXX is just a replacement for my file name.
Can someone please help.
I would hate to lose all of this hard work. That is why I was saving it on an external hard drive.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
This is a not an unknown issue that can occur when using Windows XP.

Just right-click the My Computer icon on your desktop and select ‘Manage’.

In the Computer Management tool click the Device Manager icon and then click the ‘+’ sign next to Disk Drives.

Double-click the drive icon and click the ‘Policies’ tab. Check the radio button for ‘Optimise for Performance’ and click ‘OK’. This enables write caching for the drive, which should prevent the error message appearing.

Bear in mind that, having done this, you need to be sure to use the icon in the System Tray to safely remove hardware before unplugging the external drive.

Hope you kept a copy of your data on the original drive. :thumb:

Reaction score
Hi

I've got the same problem as above - but with those little data storage sticks - at least two of them (different makes) so far.
The above tip didn't help either unfortunately....

Does anyone else have any ideas please?

Thanks

Reaction score
I have the same trouble... except I'm using an SD HC card... the same driver works for my other SD (not HC) card... whenever I try to access it I get: "F:/ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." And the computer locks up every time I try to access the driver files like muckshifter said. idk what to do!

Ask a Question