Windows XP I need help ! Help beat the retailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I really hope ye can help!, but my PC

• Operating System: e.g. Windows XP (Version 5.1.2600)
  • Anti Virus Software : None installed
  • Anti Spy ware Software : . None installed
  • How do you connect to the net : Unable to connect at present, but I have broad band, cable,
  • Your Computer Specifications – Cant really access that info,
  • GB hard drive.
  • It also has a Intel Centrino sticker.
This lap top is a work issued to my wife; it is currently lying under the bed and doing nothing, the main reason for this it has a Administrator Password fitted by the supplier(retailer). The supplier has sold this concept to her employer stating that it is safer, (virus etc) I belive he is using this to gain income, as they send the lap top if they wish to install software. The cost of this Lap top was over £2K. Once you boot up the system, she must enter a password, and the system will continue t boot up, once it open up it flashes in the corner.

WLAN – disabled Bluetooth - disabled

I hope I am making sense, but I am not a PC genius. The problem is, this Lap top is useless, you can’t go online, you can’t load software, It is just a waste of a good piece of kit. I really hope ye guys can help; I am willing to stick this out until it can be resolved, I can’t afford to lose the small amount of info currently on the system, currently about 14GB, most of which are photos, and these are probably been saved a number of times. I do have an other system at the house that is connected to broad band, therefore I can work at the lap top while on line. I hope I have provided the correct info if not let me know were I can retrieve it.

PS Once I get it sorted, I will need advice on Anti spyware and anti software.

Thank in advance

Bigrhys

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The easiest way is to ask your Wifes employer to give her the admin password or obtain it from the supplier.

Reaction score
Thanks Andy,

When the retailer was asked for the password they said to in the Lap top any time and they will add the software, some issues.

1, I live 200 miles Plus away from the supplier.

2, Her employer does not have the password, her employer is the government, and trying to track someone down to request it from the retailer is impossible.
3, Why should the retailer still have control over something he has sold, and is paid for.
4, he employer has probably been told that it is a good idea to issue the lap tops with this format.

Thanks again
Ivan

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
OK, I'm going to be blunt here:

The laptop belongs to your Wifes employer - the Government. There is probably a reason why your wife hasn't been given the Admin password - if she needs it then get her to ask her departments IT support person, if she doesn't know who it is, then I'm sure she is capable of finding out.

It is up to her employer if she can have the password, if she asks them and they give it to her, then fine - if not then I'm sorry but I can't help you any further.

Reaction score
You could try and force crack the Administrator Password with a tool from the net.

If you can get one from someone.

Administrator Password are,nt 100 % safe and have been crack before.

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Michael555... I think you've missed the point.

I'm sure Adywebb could have pointed bigrhys to a use tool like that, but the reason he didn't is because using it would mean breaking her employer's, i.e. the government's, rules for their I.T. equipment and possibly lead to his wife being questioned about it and repercussions if something goes wrong.

Adywebb said:
There is probably a reason why your wife hasn't been given the Admin password - if she needs it then get her to ask her departments IT support person

There's a good reason those passwords are put on... ;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
michael555 said:
You could try and force crack the Administrator Password with a tool from the net.

If you can get one from someone.

Administrator Password are,nt 100 % safe and have been crack before.
EPF is right - I am more than aware of the existence of such programs and its not something we endorse here.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question