I did it

Reaction score
Well I put onto my sons new system anyway

I really don't like the tile system in the start menu. As I'm old school windows I prefer the Win XP/7 look

However I cant find a way to change it. I did read you can't something to do with Aero or Glass3?
I dunno, I'm sure he'll be fine but for me to navigate to make adjustments I really don't like it all

On a further note. What bloatware and privacy settings do I need to change?
They are really hard to find imo

Any ideas

TIA

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You went to Windows 10? :D

Funnily enough, I'm so used to the current tile style start menu on desktop that I actually like it now. Although, you can just un-pin all tiles and resize the start menu so that it looks more text based.

In terms of privacy/debloating tools, I've seen this simple Powershell script mentioned recently:

If this is on your sons new system, I wonder if it's worth leaving the W10 style as is so he gets used to how other systems will look. I guess he must be about 12/13 now? :eek:

There is "open shell" which will give you a classic look if that is what you are after though: https://open-shell.github.io/Open-Shell-Menu/

Reaction score
Yea I was tempted to leave the menu as it is, but with all the other PC he uses here they are all set the same. So i'm unsure tbh

Yes he is fast approaching 13 now. August 15th. Gonna cry lol

What does Open shell do? Does it make changes to the actualy structure of the windows menu's or just run in the background?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Might be a good way to ease in getting used to the change on one PC, now that W7 is end-of-life - just my opinion of course :lol: .

I'm not sure if openshell runs in the background, but I imagine it must do to an extent - rather than just making one-off changes. I've not used a shell modifier for many years, but I think @V_R used "classic shell" which was the same bit of software, before that also went EOL.

Yes he is fast approaching 13 now. August 15th. Gonna cry lol

I feel old now, I remember you posting when he was born! :eek::lol:

Reaction score
I'm getting that way myself. 13 going on 31 he is. Little Sh1t lol

I will be staying on 7 for about another 6 months I think. I am seriously thinking about going down the Ryzen route all depends how much cash I get for my claim this year (hopefully) I have a shopping list :D I want to be future proofed for at least 7 years again. This PC I think is about 8 years old and does eveything I need to do, including playing some excellent games. Just updated to a better card really. And of course its all down to cash dollar.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I use Open Shell on my Win 10 install, it's a freebie and for me, being used to earlier versions of Windows, it made things a lot easier.

However, I have to agree with Ian when he says it might be best to leave the tiled interface for your son, he's younger and will probably find his way around Win 10 a lot faster than the average adult and also the standard Win 10 interface sort of mimics mobile phones to a degree.

But if both of you dislike it try Classic Shell.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You can 'unpin' everything from the Start Menu and 'shrink' it by sliding it to the left, no more tiles.

You can, as I do, just Right Click on the Window Icon bottom left.

Security: Just set every 'options' to OFF. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I used to use Classic Shell, I also used to use the likes of Start10 etc. Not to mention all the 'security' apps.

Take a look at this: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-customize-your-start-menu-windows-10

Ain't no point to all that theses days. Just go through the privacy options and turn stuff off. That's all you need. Use an adblocker like Ublock Origin or Adblock if you just want a set it and forget it approach.

The only thing other than that I use is the MVPS hosts file. - http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Although that might change soon as I'm seriously considering setting up a Pihole. :)

Reaction score
Cheers peeps I will look into it. I will defo consider returning it back to tiled as suggested so Lucas will navigate through his own OS at his speed

Ask a Question