From: "Ian Francis" <[email protected]>
Subject: I can't get to my printer properties...
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:36:19 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

Wierdest thing... I have had this shared printer (HP LaseraJet 2200 DTN)
installed on my server for about two years. Yesterday this problem started
that whenever I hit properties off the Printers Properties screen (like to
change a tray or print double sided) the screen wouldn't show up... almost
like the button didn't do anything. Thinking the driver was corrupt, I went
to our server to update the driver but when I right click on the driver and
hit Properties I get this wierd message saying:

"Device settings cannot be displayed. The driver for the specified printer
is not installed. Only spooler properties will be displayed. Do ou want to
install the driver now?"

I have tried deleting and re-installing but nothing has worked so far (I
have also tried re-booting). So, I now have a printer that I can't update
and that no one can change the settings for. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Ian
--

Ian,

Check the permissions for %systemroot%\system32\spool\drivers and all of its sub-folders. Also, check the Directory
value in the following registry keys to make sure they point to the correct location.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3

The first one should be 'W32X86', the second should be '2' and the third should be '3'.

If all of this checks out try removing the printer driver, from the Drivers tab of Server Properties from the Files menu in the
Printers folder and then re-install the driver clean.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Ian Francis

Bill,

I tried your suggestions. All security settings look good. All registry
entries are in order and I did delete all the drivers as suggested.
Unfortunately, we still have the same problem.

This problem is really weird. All clients can still print to the machine...
but they can't view the printer properties to change any settings. All
other HP printers are working OK. I even tried switching the printer to a
different IP address. Still same problem. Any other ideas?

Thanks again,

Ian