I cannot delete folders visible in Windows Explorer

G

After my McAffe anti virus found and deleted some viruses, I found in my virtual FTP directory a series of deeply nested empty folders I assume were created by some virus. When I try to delete them using the Windows Explorer, I get the message "Cannot Delete File: Cannot Read from the source file or disk". I know the hard drive is fine as I can copy/paste/delete files to and from that directory. I'm using XP Pro, SP1, up to date patching and logged in as administrator. When I highlight one of the folders, and right click and choose properties, I am not getting tabs that would allow me to alter permissions. How do I delete these folders ?

R

roger

Hi Mark,

After my McAffe anti virus found and deleted some viruses, I found in my virtual FTP directory a series of deeply nested empty folders I assume were created by some virus. When I try to delete them using the Windows Explorer, I get the message "Cannot Delete File: Cannot Read from the source file or disk". I know the hard drive is fine as I can copy/paste/delete files to and from that directory. I'm using XP Pro, SP1, up to date patching and logged in as administrator. When I highlight one of the folders, and right click and choose properties, I am not getting tabs that would allow me to alter permissions. How do I delete these folders ?

Try booting in safe mode (F8) and deleting them.

Or try deleting them from the recovery console with the following
commands:
set AllowAllPaths = TRUE

rd folder_name /s

after increasing its capabilities according to the following article:
310497 - HOW TO: Add More Power to Recovery Console By Using Group
Policy in Windows XP Professional
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310497

You could also try booting from a Windows 98 boot disk and using
rd Folder_Name /s

Another option, if you have Nero, try to delete them through the Nero
browser.