    It's not in the Add or Remove Programs->Add/Remove Windows Components list.

    Any idea what files I need to copy back from backups or the XP installation
    disc?

    Guest, Sep 10, 2007

    Rich Barry Guest

    Go to Control Panel>Sound and Audio Devices>Check the box Place Volume
    Icon in Taskbar, Click Apply, Ok.

    Rich Barry, Sep 10, 2007

    Thanks, but since the Volume Control program is absent, checking the "Place
    volume icon in the taskbar" produces the error message "Windows cannot
    display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Control program
    has not been installed. To install it, use Add/Remove Programs in Control
    Panel."

    I cannot find anything resembling "volume" anywhere in Add/Remove Programs
    or Windows Components. I think this means I have to figure out which files
    to expand from the XP Installation CD disc, how to expand them, and where to
    put them in the C partition.

    I refuse to re-install Windows. There are too many updates, and the process
    would likely converge too slowly.

    I'll browse backups, looking for files whose name contains "vol". Is there
    a more systematic approach?

    Guest, Sep 11, 2007

    Poprivet Guest

    angbob wrote:
    > Windows XP Home SP2
    >
    > I discovered the Volume Control program has disappeared.
    >
    > It's not in the Add or Remove Programs->Add/Remove Windows Components
    > list.
    >
    > Any idea what files I need to copy back from backups or the XP
    > installation disc?

    Go to Add/Remove in Control Panel and click on
    Add REmove Windows Components
    on the left side of the screen.
    There you can reload the mixer, which the control is part of. That
    should take care of it. You might need your original CD, but it should be
    able to use the i386 folder if you haven 't deleted it.

    HTH

    Pop`

    Poprivet, Sep 11, 2007

    I find nothing resembling "mixer" in the Add Remove Windows Components lists.
    Ought it be there in XP Home SP2? Does its absence hint at a failure in
    some heavy-duty list?

    I copied Volume Control from a backup to the Accessories folder, and I
    copied sndvol32.exe from dllcache to system32. The Volume Control seems to
    work. (I haven't rebooted, to see whether the little speaker shows up in
    the tray. I hope it does; it's cute.)

    Thanks very much!

    Regards, Bob

    Guest, Sep 11, 2007
  6. In article <>,
    angbob <> wrote:

    > I find nothing resembling "mixer" in the Add Remove Windows Components lists.
    > Ought it be there in XP Home SP2? Does its absence hint at a failure in
    > some heavy-duty list?
    >
    > I copied Volume Control from a backup to the Accessories folder, and I
    > copied sndvol32.exe from dllcache to system32. The Volume Control seems to
    > work. (I haven't rebooted, to see whether the little speaker shows up in
    > the tray. I hope it does; it's cute.)
    >
    > Thanks very much!

    Not sure why but my little speaker icon disappears with frequency.

    I have to go to the control panel, delete it from the task bar and
    APPLY, then re-add it to the task bar and APPLY, SAVE to make it come
    back, but in a few days it will be gone again.

    Haven't figured out why this happens yet.

    D. Kirkpatrick, Sep 13, 2007
  7. Hi angbob,

    See:

    Volume Icon Is Not Displayed in the Notification Area, and You Receive an Error Message When You Try to Add It:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319095

    --
    Regards,

    Ramesh, MS-MVP, Sep 13, 2007

    When check the box to add to my toolbar it replies my volume control program
    is not installed. I need that program

    Guest, Oct 12, 2007

    Guest, Oct 13, 2007

    don't know if you've solved your program...but the same thing happened to me.
    the "volume control" icon and the program disappeared. i had to reload from
    my Dell Windows installation disk after discovering that there was nothing in
    the "accessories" folder. to do this click "start", then "all programs",
    then "accessories", then "entertainment"....if nothing is in the
    entertainment folder then you need to reload.

    go to"add/remove windows components" in the "control panel". click on
    "accessories and utilities" which was not checked on my computer. then
    follow the instructions. it was easy and fast. i don't have a clue what
    caused "volume control" to disappear. though maybe switching from "explorer"
    to "foxfire" frequently might have something to do with it. if i can fix
    this...anyone can.

    Guest, Oct 13, 2007

    THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ARTICLE IT HELPED A LOT!! FOR THOSE OF YOU
    HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM, CLICK ON THE LINK AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS! IT'S
    AS SIMPLE AS THAT!! HAVE A GREAT DAY!!

    Guest, Oct 27, 2007

    jfaulkner44 Guest

    I have a problem similar to this, but not quite. My volume icon has
    disappeared from the lower right corner (by the clock) BUT, the program is
    installed. When I go to Sounds and Audio in Control Panel, the section
    'Device Volume' is dimmed out so I can't check the box to add the icon back.
    In addition, above that there is a comment 'no audio device. Everything was
    working fine.

    Last evening (Tuesday) I installed some Creative software for an MP3 player.
    I didn't notice if the icon was there prior to installing it or not.

    Is there any way I can activate that Device Volume screen so I can get
    everything working again? I really hate to uninstall and reinstall the
    software if I don't have to.
    Thanks so much for your help.
    Judy F.
    SW Florida - USA

    jfaulkner44, Dec 13, 2007

    LD Guest

    i did the following and it didnt work kept giving me destination folder isnt
    specified

    LD, Jan 12, 2008

    Rizwan 7t

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pakistan
    Here is the solution to your problem:-
    Just insert the windows xp cd in the cd rom and go to control panel. Then open "Add or Remove Programs". Then click on add windows components. Then check the "Acessories & Utilities" box and click next. And your problem is solved. After the processing is done then go to control panel+Sound And Audio Devices and then click on "place volume icon in the taskbar and click apply and Here you go

    Rizwan 7t, Mar 24, 2012