How fast is your connection?

Reaction score
Ian;) every time I look at the heading on this thread I PMSL:D

How fast is your connection? :D

sorry:D

Reaction score
cos my current ntl is 3 years old and is now a rip off, does anyone here with a new ntl package know if the modems have dynamic ips?

and is it unlimited?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, there's a coincidence, just received a newsletter from Zen, my ISP.

They're changing their packages. I currently have 512kb down, 256kb up for £24.99 a month, no download limits, which I can keep if I so desire.

Their new packages will consist of, basically, Home and Pro. Both offer speeds of up to 8Mb, depending on some circumstances like which exchange you use and your distance from the exchange, but they've introduced a monthly d/l limit of 20Gb & 50Gb respectively for each plan.

Cost is £24.99 & £34.99 a month respectively.

Existing customers can switch to either plan with no transfer charge.

So what's best? Should I swap for a higher download speed and incur a d/l limit? Or stay as I am?

My daughter uses a P2P program, but not a great deal, all I ever d/l is a little music, patches, upgrades and the occasional Linux Distro.

Zen are still offering their basic home package, btw, 256k up, 256k down, for £17.99 a month, with no d/l limits.

Note that Zen don't just state '8mb' but say 'Up to 8mb, depending on circumstances' displaying some honesty other ISP's would be good to follow.

Link

It was about time Zen woke up to public preference, offering 8mb speed with a download limit will appeal to more people. I was actually thinking about changing my ISP because of the limited d/l speed. And they still offer a minimum of one month's contract, unlike most ISP's who want you to sign up for one year's minimum.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You're in London so you should be ok with full 8MB I think :)

For £25 @ 20GB 8MB that seems pretty low, even normal surfing takes up quite a bit of bandwidth - might be worth getting a bandwidth monitor and see how much you use?

Do you have to stay with Zen, or are you free to move?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh, is that total bandwidth Ian? I didn't realise that, I thought it just meant the amount you download.

Haven't fully grasped this, have I? Doh.

Well, obviously I'm on the Internet quite a lot, as is my daughter, you have any links to a freebie Bandwidth Monitor program?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, I've just phoned Zen and the highest I've used in one day is 1Gig.

Apparently I average about half a Gb a day, but I have exceeded 20Gb in a month.

That is very likely my daughter and Limewire ;)

So, for now, think I'll stick with what I have, 512Kb down, but uncapped bandwidth.

Whilst I spoke to them, they also confirmed I have 1Gb of webspace to use, I was never sure about that.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
cos my current ntl is 3 years old and is now a rip off, does anyone here with a new ntl package know if the modems have dynamic ips?

and is it unlimited?
You really should phone 'em up ... it is an 0800 # ... you is only hurting yourself. ;)

:rolleyes:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
1MB Down, 256KB Up. Unlimited.

aol, changing soon......

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Oh, is that total bandwidth Ian? I didn't realise that, I thought it just meant the amount you download.

Haven't fully grasped this, have I? Doh.

Well, obviously I'm on the Internet quite a lot, as is my daughter, you have any links to a freebie Bandwidth Monitor program?
Yup, bandwidth is everything that goes in and out of your modem - downloads, surfing, voip etc... gaming is anywhere from 3k/s (old games) to 20k/s for modern ones (plus any voice).

Your deal at the moment sounds ok :) Better than the other options!

Reaction score
I'm on 512k - which drops out about once an hour due to the PC being to far from the initial phone line. Can't be helped, but very annoying when downloading non-resumable files over 500mb!!

Ask a Question