    "Safely Remove Hardware."

    Thanks in advance for your help . . .

    Denise

    Guest, Feb 15, 2006

    Iceman Guest

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:47:29 -0800, HartsVideo wrote in message

    > How do I permanently remove items from my system tray without uninstalling
    > the programs. I want to keep the programs but I don't want them in my tray.
    > I tried "always hide" but it just hides the icon behind the < . Two icons
    > that I want to remove are "Trend Micro - Venus Fly Trap" which is always
    > disabled because I didn't buy the program after the trial expired, and
    > "Safely Remove Hardware."
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help . . .
    >
    > Denise

    Start > Run > Msconfig > Startup > Uncheck the programs you don't want.
    Then restart the computer.

    Iceman, Feb 15, 2006

    If you right click on the Trend icon it may like other programs give you a
    menu with options to not display the tray icon, as for the safely remove
    hardware icon, I think you can only hide that because its referring to a
    device most probably plugged into USB.

    Andy W

    Guest, Feb 15, 2006

    I was able to remove TrendMicro - Venus Fly Trap by going into MSConfig >
    StartUp Menu tab and unchecking the box. Thanks :) I appreciate it.

    I discovered that the other icon "Safely Remove Hardware" is for 3 Maxtor
    One Touch II external hard drives that I have. Do you think that if I remove
    this icon from my system tray, that my external hard drives would stop
    functioning and I would have to reinstall the programs for them?

    Denise

    Guest, Feb 15, 2006

    There is no longer a need to give me a response to my last post. I installed
    Avast! and my computer froze up every time I start it for the past 2 hrs. I
    couldn't get into Safe Mode by tapping the F5 or F8 buttons. I couldn't get
    into Control Panel > Uninstall Programs fast enough before Avast! kicked in
    and froze my pc. I couldn't get into msconfig fast enough either. The
    msconfig box has a check box to Restore Computer to a Previous Date but it
    wouldn't work. I finally noticed a check box for Safe Mode on the msconfig
    box and rebooted into Safe Mode and uninstalled Avast!. My pc now operates
    but the icon to Safely Uninstall Hardware is not longer in my system tray but
    neither are the icons for my anti-virus/malware/adware/spyware icons, so I'm
    not sure that they're running in the background as they always did. I
    checked the boxes on the Start-Up tab in MSconfig for Yahoo, Spybot, MS
    Anti-Spyware and Spyware Blaster but, as I said, their icons are no longer in
    my system tray.

    How can I ensure that these programs are running?

    Denise

    Guest, Feb 16, 2006

    Using msconfig and unticking programs will stop the program from running at
    startup, I think you just wanted to remove the icons on show, am I correct ?

    Most programs have option to disable the tray icons.

    Andy W

    Guest, Feb 16, 2006