How do I schedule an automatic file copy?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Basics' started by Guest, Mar 15, 2004.

    Hopefully this is a "basic" question. I would like to know how to create a Scheduled Task that will copy files from my C: drive to my E: drive at a specified time. My E: drive is an external USB Hard Drive. For instance, I would like to copy a folder (like "My Documents") from my C: drive to my E: drive every Friday at 5:00pm. I think I understand the time part of the equation but I'm having trouble figuring out the 'task' part of it. Can anyone give me a step by step process to create such a thing? Or is there a better way to accomplish what I want to do

    Thanks

    Guest, Mar 15, 2004

  2. BW wrote:
    > Hopefully this is a "basic" question. I would like to know how to
    > create a Scheduled Task that will copy files from my C: drive to my
    > E: drive at a specified time. My E: drive is an external USB Hard
    > Drive. For instance, I would like to copy a folder (like "My
    > Documents") from my C: drive to my E: drive every Friday at 5:00pm.
    > I think I understand the time part of the equation but I'm having
    > trouble figuring out the 'task' part of it. Can anyone give me a step
    > by step process to create such a thing? Or is there a better way to
    > accomplish what I want to do?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > BW

    1) Create a batch file (using Notepad) which contains a command to copy the
    file from its home directory to your USB HD. The batch file must have
    either a ".bat" or ".cmd" extension. Make sure you remember where you save
    this file.

    Ex:
    "xcopy x:\dirname\subdirname\filename.ext
    z:\dirname\subdirname\filename.ext" (where
    "x:\dirname\subdirname\filename.ext" is the fully qualified path name of the
    file you want to copy each Friday at 5:00pm" and
    "z:\dirname\subdirname\filename.ext" is the fully qualified path name of the
    copy of the file you want to store on your USB drive.

    Also make sure that if the file name or parent directories of the file to be
    copied have spaces in them, to enclose the entire paths in double-quotes,
    both in the source clause, and the destination clause.

    xcopy's general syntax is "xcopy source destination /switches". Don't
    forget to make sure that there is at least one space between the source,
    destination, and switches clauses.

    If you want to know the various switches xcopy can use, open a command
    prompt and enter the command "xcopy /?". xcopy is very powerful.

    2) Add a Scheduled Task which executes this batch file at 5:00 pm every
    Friday.

    This Scheduled task will run at 5pm (or as soon after 5pm Windows is able to
    execute the task.
    **** NOTE ****
    If your USB drive is not connected at the time the batch file runs, the
    batch file will break with an error. However, the Scheduled task will
    attempt to run

    I'm pretty sure that xcopy will copy across physical disks. If not, someone
    please correct me.

    --
    Donald L McDaniel
    Post all replies to the Newsgroup,

    Donald McDaniel, Mar 16, 2004

    Donald,

    Thank you very much for your response. That's exactly what I needed. I really appreciate the step by step instructions rather than a general "just use a scheduled task" type of response.

    Thanks again,
    BW

    Guest, Mar 16, 2004
  4. BW wrote:
    > Donald,
    >
    > Thank you very much for your response. That's exactly what I needed.
    > I really appreciate the step by step instructions rather than a
    > general "just use a scheduled task" type of response.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > BW

    My pleasure..

    Donald McDaniel, Mar 16, 2004

    mlyonnais

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    And since we are in 2012, is there a software that does all that? Because like BW, I need to copy a file every day but I need to change the name of the new file also. It's a database and I want to keep a copy for every day.

    mlyonnais, Dec 21, 2011