How do I open Outlook backup.pst?

I use Microsoft XP and Office 2003. I downloaded a program that has my
machine automatically backup my Outlook files once a day. Here is my
problem: Tonight I was trying to complete a class assignment by moving my
contacts to another folder and then importing a data file into Microsoft
Outlook. Next I was to perform a mail merge with Outlook records. When I
clicked on "Select from Outlook contacts" I got the following message: "This
operation cannot be completed because of dialog or database engine failures.
Please try again later." Well I tried several times to no avail. So, I
manually deleted the imported data and tried to restore my original contacts.
Problem two is: The moved folder does not show any contacts in its file.
So, next I tried to open my Outlook backup.pst file that was created this
morning but I get this message: ‘Windows cannot open this file. To open this
file Windows needs to know what program created it.’ I went online but
haven’t been able to locate the information I need to retrieve my original
contacts. Please advise what program I should use to open the Outlook
backup.pst file or any other suggestions you have. Thank you for you help!

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Why would you import native Outlook data? Just open it.
How are you trying to open the backup?
There is no reason you would ever be prompted for the program to use if
you're opening it correctly.
Use Outlook's File > Open command.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Fluffy from Wisconsin said:
[...]

Thank you for your help Russ! I was trying to open it by going to My Documents and then clicking on the Outlook backup.pst backup. That is when I got all of the messages that I posted. It makes send to do it threw the Outlook program but I didn't think of trying to open it that way. It seems like such a simple solution! Too bad I spent hours before I posted my question. Thanks again!

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Outlook's quirks drive everyone crazy. Its data files abide by none of the
common conventions.
You cannot open Outlook files from Windows Explorer. There is no file
association for Outlook files. You cannot overwrite its files. You cannot
export them without losing data.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Fluffy from Wisconsin said:
Russ Valentine said:
Why would you import native Outlook data? Just open it.
How are you trying to open the backup?
There is no reason you would ever be prompted for the program to use if
you're opening it correctly.
Use Outlook's File > Open command.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Fluffy from Wisconsin" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
[...]

This is a year later from original post. I am having the same problem.
Outlook Backup tells me I can copy my backedup email and contacts to a CD. I
am unable to open the files from my backup folder, much less burn them to a
CD. Any help would be appreciated! I have read for hours through the MS
assistant, etc.
Thank you.
JosieM

wrote in message
[...]

How did you create this file?
All you need to do is close Outlook, copy your Outlook data file to a CD
using Windows Explorer or your favorite CD burning software, copy the file
from the CD back onto a hard drive and remove its read only attribute, then
open it in Outlook.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]