Hotfix will not Install correctly

Kevin

Hello!

Windows Automatic Update is downloading a Hotfix to my
computer, but it will not install correctly. I click on
the "Install" button, and it tells me that it has been
installed. However, when I go to the "Add Remove
Programs" menu, it does not appear there with the other
Hotfixes. The Automatic Update continues to download the
same Hotfix. The Hotfix is KB828026. I believe it is
for Window's media player.

Thanks!

Kevin

Attempt to download this hotfix directly from the
Knowledge base and save it to your harddrive prior to
installation.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Kevin;
It is not with the others.
Look for "Windows Media Player Hotfix...828026

Carrie Garth

| "Kevin" (e-mail address removed)
| wrote in message | Hello! Windows Automatic Update is downloading a
| Hotfix to my computer, but it will not install correctly.
| I click on the "Install" button, and it tells me that it has
| been installed. However, when I go to the "Add Remove
| Programs" menu, it does not appear there with the other
| Hotfixes. The Automatic Update continues to download
| the same Hotfix. The Hotfix is KB828026. I believe it is
| for Window's media player. Thanks! Kevin

According to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
Article:

KB828026 - Update for Windows Media Player URL
Script Command Behavior
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;828026

You must be logged on as an administrator to install this
update. And you must restart your computer to complete
the installation of this update. So make sure you are
meeting those requirements.

And according to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
Article:

KB319585 - WINUP: "Software Update Incomplete, This
Windows Update Software Did Not Update Successfully"
Error Message When You Visit the Windows Update
Web Site
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;319585

If Windows Update software did not update successfully
you may be able to solve the problem by (in brief):

-- Deleting your Temporary Internet Files
-- Configuring Windows Explorer to Display Hidden Files,
and then:
- Deleting the Files from Windows Update Folder
- Removing the Windows Update ActiveX Controls
- Visiting the Windows Update Web site (which will
install new copies of the ActiveX controls)
- Reinstalling the Update

And common sense says to make certain that Windows
Media Player is not running when you install the Hotfix.
(And it never hurts to reduce the number of applications
running to as few as possible when updating core files).

And if none of the above helps I suggest that you post in
the following newsgroup:

Windows Update
AKA: microsoft.public.windowsupdate newsgroup

The following page has links you can click to access the
newsgroup with your Web browser, or with a Network
News Transfer Protocol (NNTP)-based newsreader such
as Outlook Express.

Windows XP Expert Zone Community Newsgroups
Operating Systems Newsgroups
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/newsgroups/operatingsystems/default.mspx