HOMEBUILT vs NAME BRAND

jaster

Ron Reaugh wrote:
[snip]

Usually, the more extravagant you build your machine, the better off you
are building. My XP machine was built just over 2 years ago and I spent
$2200 to build it. I got the best of everything, including SoundBlaster
Audigy Pro, GeForce 4600Ti, 400 watt Logitech speaker system, Pentium 4
2.0 Northwood, ATA133 80GB RAID system, 24X CR-R/RW, 16X DVD, Zip250,
and an Orb 2.2GB. At that time, I couldn't even dream of getting a Dell
with those specs, but manufacturers like Falcon Northwest and Alienware
were charging $3800+ for a similar setup.

You mean the more extravagant your ultimate components the better your are
building.
I build my own but never all at once so my costs might be lower, I just
upgrade what I have. I don't buy top of line components either except
once or twice. For instance you spent $2200 for a system now worth
$300-$400 mostly due to the sound card and video. So from my
perspective I look at pre-built systems that will be good
price/performance during the warranty period and can be upgraded after the
warranty expires with better components.

Ron Reaugh

Ruel Smith said:
Absolutely! Name brand OEM computers just offer basically the same
components, including the motherboards, but branded with the OEM's name.

In fact very frequently such components are not quite the same and require
different drivers and BIOSs. Therefore the support tends to be slower and
less robust than for the true retail fully compatible generic part. The
same goes for OEM/whitebox version of a part sold retail as they are the
same as retail except packaging.

Ron Reaugh

You inaccurately snipped thus forging the thread. I posted NONE of what you
included.
Ron Reaugh wrote:
[...]

That's where your plan falls apart as such systems our often not as
upgradable as ones based on retail mobos with recent BIOSs available
covering products available over the whole market.

Key-Bored

Ron Reaugh said:
For the mass consumer not interested in building Dell is a good option.

True, but anyone who posts on this ng obviously has at least some interest
in building their own PC. For someone who has no interest I would recommend
Dell or IBM every time. But if someone wants to build a PC, but isn't sure
whether or not to take the plunge, I'd tell them to build.

Ron Reaugh

Key-Bored said:
True, but anyone who posts on this ng obviously has at least some interest
in building their own PC. For someone who has no interest I would recommend
Dell or IBM every time. But if someone wants to build a PC, but isn't sure
whether or not to take the plunge, I'd tell them to build.

Me too.

Hackworth

Ron Reaugh said:
Computer Shopper is therefore incompetent.

Precisely. IMHO, Computer Shopper lost its credibility and ceased to be a
technical authority years ago when it abandoned its roots to become just
another generic mainstream rag for morons. If you want to see a *real* dream
machine, check out the cover story in the September issue of Maximum PC
(http://www.maximumpc.com/features/feature_2004-08-24.html).

The only prebuilt systems with the kind of power we're talking about comes
from the "boutique" manufacturers such as Falcon Northwest
(http://www.falcon-nw.com/), Voodoo PC (http://www.voodoopc.com/)... and
they're not cheap.

There is some valid arguments for that for the mass consumer market.
However by the time someone arrives here asking the question then the
pendulum has swung to build it yourself.

Very generally speaking, yes, because *you* decide what combinaton of parts
is important to you, and you can focus your spending toward those those
parts. Also, your money doesn't go to pay for a software bundle that you
probably don't need.

BrightStar

WOW! you argue your case well. Thanks everyone for your comments.

since I posted, I have convinced my brother to go with a good quality
motherboard since it really is the single biggest factor in speed,
dependability and upgrade options and longevity.

so far, we are going with the Asus p4c800e-deluxe, p4 2.4 ghz CPU, 512
mb memory. not a cheap system, but at $700 or so total it should be
very fast and dependable for a long time for not much more than a
prebuilt system.

I am big on Asus, my eight year old machine has served me well, tho I
will look to finally build a new one for myself as well.

Brightstar65

Ron Reaugh

BrightStar said:
WOW! you argue your case well. Thanks everyone for your comments.

since I posted, I have convinced my brother to go with a good quality
motherboard since it really is the single biggest factor in speed,
dependability and upgrade options and longevity.

so far, we are going with the Asus p4c800e-deluxe, p4 2.4 ghz CPU, 512
mb memory.

Get a 2.8 or 3.0 GHz 800 or Prescott as they're less than $50 more.

Get 2 x 265MB RAM rather than one 512MB.
not a cheap system, but at $700 or so total it should be
very fast and dependable for a long time for not much more than a
prebuilt system.

I am big on Asus, my eight year old machine has served me well, tho I
will look to finally build a new one for myself as well.

Brightstar65

Matt <[email protected]> wrote in message
$365.

JK

Hackworth said:
Precisely. IMHO, Computer Shopper lost its credibility and ceased to be a
technical authority years ago when it abandoned its roots to become just
another generic mainstream rag for morons. If you want to see a *real* dream
machine, check out the cover story in the September issue of Maximum PC
(http://www.maximumpc.com/features/feature_2004-08-24.html).

The only prebuilt systems with the kind of power we're talking about comes
from the "boutique" manufacturers such as Falcon Northwest
(http://www.falcon-nw.com/), Voodoo PC (http://www.voodoopc.com/)... and
they're not cheap.

www.ibuypower.com sells powerful Athlon 64 systems at low prices.

JK

BrightStar said:
WOW! you argue your case well. Thanks everyone for your comments.

since I posted, I have convinced my brother to go with a good quality
motherboard since it really is the single biggest factor in speed,
dependability and upgrade options and longevity.

so far, we are going with the Asus p4c800e-deluxe, p4 2.4 ghz CPU

Why? Why not an Athlon 64????????

JAD

Jerome- jason- jackass whatever your name was last year, when even
the AMD folks plonked your ass, go back to where you came.

el_cheapolla

For the mass consumer not interested in building Dell is a good option.

I don't think it was such a good option for my next door neighbor ;)

I guess if they get one for $299 on sale, they can afford to just buy
another when things go bad or obsolete.

I wouldn't pay much for one though.

Of course if you have more money than brains you can go through life
fat dumb and happy.

JK

Let's see how much market share Intel loses in the second half of '04.
It will be interesting if AMD finishes '04 with over 25%, '05 with over
35%, and perhaps some time in '07 gets above the 50% mark.

Matt

BrightStar said:
WOW! you argue your case well. Thanks everyone for your comments.
I presented the best-case prices. The rebate situation isn't as good as
it was a year ago, but it may get better again.
since I posted, I have convinced my brother to go with a good quality
motherboard since it really is the single biggest factor in speed,
dependability and upgrade options and longevity.

Okay, but don't use a crummy or undersized power supply.

Ron Reaugh

JK said:
Let's see how much market share Intel loses in the second half of '04.
It will be interesting if AMD finishes '04 with over 25%, '05 with over
35%, and perhaps some time in '07 gets above the 50% mark.

Delusional.

Moderately Confused

Ron Reaugh said:
getting

HMM are they they most successful in the world...I wonder why?

Ignore him, he's just an AMD fanboy troll who has a thing for hating Intel.

MC