history problems, index.dat

zero

My history is damaged. Tried some programs that clears everything in IE
including history, after clearing works a while, then that kind of problems
apperars...

Days ago deleted some index.dat files, that was the begining of problems...
any idea about how to fix it? My history doesn't work good now.
Instead of showing html icons and links
a Folder called History.IE5 is shown above
and a file called desktop... (no extension shown or at least not html)

Help please!

Jan Il

Hi Zero :)

Try the following and see if it will help.

Free History Eraser from
http://smartprotector.com/eraser/free-history-eraser.htm
Deletes the History folder (and the index.dat file). When you reboot, a new
folder is created

Delete History folder manually:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

In order to prevent the Autocomplete from working, close all open browser
windows or it will not take effect. Go to Tools | Internet Options | Click
the Content tab. Click the button that says Autocomplete. Uncheck Web
Addresses and all other items you don't want used with Autocomplete.
CAUTION: Be careful clearing passwords, be sure you have them backedup

-----Clear History for Windows XP

Courtesy of LuckyStrike:

Do a Deltree command in DOS:
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers_8.htm#deltree

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

Follow the instructions to the letter. You will be left with new Index.dat
file of 32 KB, and a newly created History folder. The same will apply if
you go the distance and do a Deltree on TIF and Cookie folders. It is
unnecessary to do that if they are in good working order.

Hope this helps.

Jan :)

Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Please reply to the newsgroup so others may benefit.
Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

LuckyStrike

Hi Zero -

Yes, you have a corrupted History folder without a doubt. This can be caused
by deleting contents of the Content.IE5 folder at random which leaves the
Index.dat file in a state of total confusion. It will be necessary to create
a new folder. Ordinarily, Index.dat files cannot be deleted through Windows
as they are in use. You must have used a very powerful program or a DOS
process to have done that. This may well differ with XP, and I have but
*little knowledge* of that OS.

For W98 (W98se) proceed as follows as per Sandi's site:
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers_8.htm#deltree

1) Start>Shutdown>Re-start in MS-DOS mode
2) Wait for Mouse to be recognized, and for the system to stabilize.
3) At the prompt of C:\> type the words: "Deltree History" (Note: there is
a space between the two. Do not use any " quotation marks)
5) press enter
6) A confirmation request appears (Y/N)
7) Type: "Y" and press enter (no quotation marks)
8) Another prompt will appear (Y/N)
9) Type: "Y" and press enter.
10) Hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to close out of the DOS session and to re-boot in
normal mode.

The same process may be followed for your Temporary Internet Files as well.
This will create a new Index.dat file free of corruption and sized at 32 KB.
In that case the command line to use will be "Deltree Tempor~1"

Proceed slowly and carefully, noting that each command and instruction is
followed.

*IF* you've been using any other method of cleaning files and stuff out of
the Content.IE5 folder other than the use of IE Options>delete files>delete
all off-line content> OK>OK out. *Stop* doing that. The aforementioned
process of using IE Options is the *only* safe and prescribed way of
cleaning. (other than the DOS Deltree command)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For XP follow the instructions at Mike Burgess' site as the process and
paths differ from W98:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm
To delete the History folder and index.dat (XP)

Log on as Administrator and delete the desired <username> folder and reboot.
(or log on as another user that has Administrator privileges)
Example: "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\HISTORY"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Instructions below courtesy of Henri Leboeuf:

Reconfigure Windows Explorer to show Hidden Files:
Open the Windows Explorer Folder Options - View [tab]:

Scroll down to the "Files and Folders" section.
Select: "Display the contents of system folders".

Scroll down to the "Hidden Files and Folders" section.
Select: "Show hidden files and folders", Ok the prompt
Uncheck: "Hide file extensions for known file types"
Uncheck: "Hide protected operating system files" Ok the Prompt, click Apply

Click the "Apply to all Folders" button. Close Windows Explorer.
==============

You may also have to go to Safe Mode to delete files/folders.

A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP
This article discusses the several Safe Boot options that Windows supports.
These options load a minimal set of drivers. You can use these options to
start Windows so that you can modify the registry or load or remove drivers.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315222 (XP 11/5/2003)

Web page: http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/index.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HTH -
--

LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

zero

Thanks both.

I really cant fix it. Tried everything. Software doesn't fix it.
Booted in DOS mode: Deltree is not a known command (?????)
Even if I navigate in DOS until C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local
Settings\
There is no History directory.

Booted in safe mode as administrator, deleted the history folder.
Now a desktop.ini appears in history inside IE

And BTW booting in DOS mode takes a loooooooooong time (is
my pc or is that normal?)

zero said:
My history is damaged. Tried some programs that clears everything in IE
including history, after clearing works a while, then that kind of problems
apperars...

Days ago deleted some index.dat files, that was the begining of problems...
any idea about how to fix it? My history doesn't work good now.
Instead of showing html icons and links
a Folder called History.IE5 is shown above
and a file called desktop... (no extension shown or at least not html)

Help please!

LuckyStrike

First I am now guessing you are using Windows XP. Is that right? Click once
for yes; two times for no. I do wish people would include all pertinent info
when they post. History folders are in all OS'es, so is IE. But the means to
deal with some problems are entirely dependent upon *which OS is in use*.

Deltree is a known command.
http://www.easydos.com/deltree.html
http://www.computerhope.com/deltree.htm
http://www.ee.usyd.edu.au/tutorials_online/topics/itopics/dos-cmds.html
http://home7.inet.tele.dk/batfiles/msdos7/

For XP see here:
http://www.computerhope.com/rmdirhlp.htm

Also, did you try safe-mode?

You have no history folder? Start>find>files and folders>history. In W98
it's in C:\WINDOWS

I don't show a Desktop.ini inside my History folder even with show all files
enabled.

Booting into MS-DOS in W98se takes but moments. In fact, it is much faster
than a normal boot. Just takes a few seconds (perhaps 10 seconds?) for the
mouse to be recognized on my PC, and that's it.

There was another program that I sort of recollect which could re-build
these folders, but it's name escapes me right now. I'll see if I can find
it. I don't remember if it was for an XP system though.

Another thing: That file on the desktop that you mentioned; was it just a ~
(Tilde file)?
http://www.pchell.com/support/tildefile.shtml
--

LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)

zero said:
My history is damaged. Tried some programs that clears everything in IE
including history, after clearing works a while, then that kind of problems apperars...

Days ago deleted some index.dat files, that was the begining of problems...
any idea about how to fix it? My history doesn't work good now.
Instead of showing html icons and links
a Folder called History.IE5 is shown above
and a file called desktop... (no extension shown or at least not html)

zero

Sorry, yes I'm using XP.
Deltree is known command but my xp hasn't any deltree DOS command
seems. Booting in safe mode takes a lot more in mine seems too.
And finally worked booting in safe mode and using spybot SD shredder.
Cool! My history is back!
Thanks!

LuckyStrike said:
[...]

"LuckyStrike" escribió en el mensaje news:[email protected]... there
is 32
KB.
[...]

OK then, so it is resolved? :)

That file that you said was on your desktop; what about it?
--

LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)

zero said:
Sorry, yes I'm using XP.
Deltree is known command but my xp hasn't any deltree DOS command
seems. Booting in safe mode takes a lot more in mine seems too.
And finally worked booting in safe mode and using spybot SD shredder.
Cool! My history is back!
Thanks!

"LuckyStrike" <[email protected]> escribió

~
[...]

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I can't belive it...
That fixed the history but temporarily only.
Truned on my PC today and there it is: again broken

:(

That's what happened: someone toldme to delete index.dat files to
be recreated. Did a search and found some. Deleted what I could.
Some was being used so I guess those wasn't deleted.

But I'm afraid any other file is missing, corrupted or something..

Some other index dat files affects that sympthom?

How do I recover my history?!!!!

zero said:
Sorry, yes I'm using XP.
Deltree is known command but my xp hasn't any deltree DOS command
seems. Booting in safe mode takes a lot more in mine seems too.
And finally worked booting in safe mode and using spybot SD shredder.
Cool! My history is back!
Thanks!

"LuckyStrike" <[email protected]> escribió
en el mensaje news:[email protected]... pertinent
info means
just
a a
DOS have
but
[...]

Track eraser fix it, but when restart the problem appears again.
However after fixing again the history comes back (so I guess
is there another index.dat or file bad...)

Any ideas?

zero said:
[...]

for
the just can
be necessary
or
a re-boot Files
as sized
at
[...]

Just when it seemed so close.

Start>Find>Files and folders>Index.dat. Any which you've found can be
deleted are not of any value, as they are not in use. Only those which are
in use would be the ones which are causing the difficulty.

I have these:
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft...\UserData
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\...\Recent (hidden)
C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
C:\WINDOWS\Cookies
C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\user\Cookies
C:\Program Files\jv16 PowerTools\Backups\001E71
--

LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)

zero said:
[...]

en el mensaje First I am now guessing you are using Windows XP. Is that right? Click

"zero" wrote in message Thanks both.

[...]

One thing I had forgotten which I was suddenly reminded of was that McAfee
can cause problems with the History folder. If you are running McAfee then
disable the ActiveX controls Applet filters in the Internet Filter window
when you select Customize your VShield settings.

Cannot View Internet Explorer 6 History By Date
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 819257
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819257

No history in IE since installing McAfee VirusScan 6.0
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=3877&highlight=history+ie+xp
--

LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)

zero said:
[...]

That had non sense to because first: I use Norton, but second,
NAV always was there and my history worked good.

however every time I restart, history is gone, but not gone,
it just shows a "desktop" file (cliked the file and opened notepad
with this:

[.ShellClassInfo]
ConfirmFileOp=0
CLSID={FF393560-C2A7-11CF-BFF4-444553540000}

After runing track eraser, history comes back..

Is there any other files involved in history shown?
specially other index.dat files?

zero said:
[...]

YW. But it was simply a suggestion as it is a known (although I had
forgotten it) problem with McAfee and the history folder. Would you have
preferred I hadn't remembered it and offered it to you?

Next: I made no reference that NAV causes any issue with History folder. In
fact, this is the first time that you've mentioned you used Norton. I
dislike (for various reasons) both NAV *and* McAfee, but that's another
story altogether.

I provided you with a list of all Index.dat files and their locations which
I have present on my machine already.

Also, about that desktop file. CLSID (finally you've offered some info)
points to here for starters:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...2A7-11CF-BFF4-444553540000&btnG=Google+Search

911 - 913 hits for that CLSID on Google. Time to do some research zero.
--

LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)

zero said:
[...]