Windows XP Help with CD burning

Reaction score
I have an ATAPI CD-RW 32/12/40x burner and am having touble using it. It has worked in the past many times. The only change I have made is I recently replaced the processor and power supply. I have tried different CD's, CD-R and CD-RW. I have tried different burning programs including Nero, which I always used in the past, windows burner, Musicmatch Jukebox, and roxio failed me before. I get no error messages, it will say burn sucessful and the CD will be blank, or it will get 5% done and freeze sometimes uninstalling my CD-RW drive from my computer. I have tried burning pictures to a CD also and it gets about 95% done and freezes. Sometimes it will go to 100% and says burn successful and the CD will still be blank.
Any suggetions would be greatly appreciated.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
The first thing that comes to my mind with what you report is that you may be needing the ASPI layer which may be corrupt and may well be the culprit. Go to Startup>Programs<Ahead Nero>Nero Toolkit>Nero Infotools. See if you can acertain if the ASPI layer is properly installed. There will be two, one is System ASPI and the other is Nero ASPI, both should be installed properly. If you find out this problem there and if you need to install the layer you may use the most stable one yet which is version 4.60 from Adaptec. website.

Please provide some more info about your system like which OS, version of Nero you are using, and if your system is updated properly with all the necessary drivers.

I hope you solve your prpblem. If you need more info please come back and we will help you out.

Reaction score
I checked the ASPI and the system ASPI is not installed but the Nero ASPI is and says working properly. I am using XP pro, and NERO Version 5.5.10.15.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Lets deal with this ASPI problem first. I am using XP Pro as well and I have no problems with the latest version <aspi 471a2.exe>
which you can download at www.adaptec.com. Please use the download section and install it on your machine. This software will unzip into a folder and you can also use its built-in facility of aspicheck for confirming the system aspi layer. Once you do that you check it through the Nero Infotool as well to be sure all is OK.

By the way you should also consider updating your Nero software version to the latest one which is 5.5.10.56 from here

Let us know if this solves the problem.

Good Luck!

Ask a Question