Do CD burners come with Burning software?

casey.o

Do CD burners come with Burning software (purchased NEW)?

I've come top the conclusion tht the CD player on my slower XP machine
is faulty, so if I'm gonna replace it, I may as well by a burner.

If I do buy a burner, I dont want to get it home and find out I have to
spend another $50 or more for software.

Also, does it make sense to buy a DVD burner instead? Will the DVD
burner also burn CDs? I know they will play both!

Thanks

Mayayana

I don't think it's typical to get software anymore.
XP and later can write CDs, albeit only with primitive
capability.

You don't have to buy software, though. Get ImgBurn.
Free. Very good. CD/DVD writer software is like ZIP
programs: There are products for sale but there's never
really been any reason to buy them.

Any hardware you buy at this point will probably be a
CD/DVD writer. It does both. That's one of the things
that might be worth buying online. A few months ago
I was building a new PC. Hard disks were the same price
at TigerDirect as they were at Staples. But DVD writers
were about $17 (Samsung), as opposed to $50-$70 at
Staples. The only difference is that you get a fancy
box with the Staples product. So if you can use other
stock -- enough to be worth making an online order --
that option might be worth looking into.

| Do CD burners come with Burning software (purchased NEW)?
|
| I've come top the conclusion tht the CD player on my slower XP machine
| is faulty, so if I'm gonna replace it, I may as well by a burner.
|
| If I do buy a burner, I dont want to get it home and find out I have to
| spend another $50 or more for software.
|
| Also, does it make sense to buy a DVD burner instead? Will the DVD
| burner also burn CDs? I know they will play both!
|
| Thanks

VanguardLH

casey.o said:
Do CD burners come with Burning software (purchased NEW)?

For retail boxes, yes. For OEM boxes, no.
If I do buy a burner, I dont want to get it home and find out I have to
spend another $50 or more for software.

Use freeware, like Ashampoo, ImgBurn, or CDburnerXP.
Also, does it make sense to buy a DVD burner instead? Will the DVD
burner also burn CDs? I know they will play both!

The cost difference, if any, between a CD and DVD burner is trivial. In
fact, you may find it difficult to find a CD-only burner driver and may
have to pay a premium for someone to have stored the old device for so
long. Often such stockers charge a premium because someone has special
requirements to setup or repair a specific hardware config that they are
not allowed to vary from.

Which you get depends on what you intend to record on the optical media.
Movies would have to be split across multiple CDs but often fit on one
DVD. Blu-ray is the next step but, for me, an external HDD is a better
choice. A BD burner is much slower to read, slow to write, and slower
to rewrite than HDDs, and for the ~$80 cost of a BD burner I can instead
get a 1 TB HDD and not have to search around for 40 BD discs. Of
course, a 1 TB HDD at $80 would hold over 200 discs for a $20 CD/DVD
drive. Yes, 4x times the cost but 200 times the capacity.

There are times you want something stored all by itself on an optical
disc. There are times you want as much stuff stored on one device and
accessible altogether. So it depends on your intended use for the
storage media.

Jeff Barnett

Do CD burners come with Burning software (purchased NEW)?

I've come top the conclusion tht the CD player on my slower XP machine
is faulty, so if I'm gonna replace it, I may as well by a burner.

If I do buy a burner, I dont want to get it home and find out I have to
spend another $50 or more for software.

Also, does it make sense to buy a DVD burner instead? Will the DVD
burner also burn CDs? I know they will play both!

Thanks
Some drives do come with software but most don't. There is one issue you
must be careful about especially if you have an older machine: virtually
all drives made today are SATA and cannot be hooked up as an IDE device.

Jeff Barnett

Hot-Text

| Do CD burners come with Burning software (purchased NEW)?

Some do, some don't you have to Read the Box

| I've come top the conclusion tht the CD player on my slower XP machine
| is faulty, so if I'm gonna replace it, I may as well by a burner.
|
| If I do buy a burner, I dont want to get it home and find out I have to
| spend another $50 or more for software.

< http://www.deepburner.com/ >
Powerful CD and DVD Burning Package
DeepBurner is the advanced and powerful CD and DVD burning package. It
removes the hassle of making autoruns, creating and printing your own labels
and booklets. You're able to burn any data, copy any disc, make backups,
create astonishing photo albums, make ISO images and Video DVDs with this
easy to handle professional software!

There are two versions of the program:
DeepBurner Pro and DeepBurner Free.

I use the Free one for 16 years now

| Also, does it make sense to buy a DVD burner instead? Will the DVD
| burner also burn CDs? I know they will play both!

After XP all new OS is to big to a CD

Get a CD/DVD that
Burn DVD-RW too!

So that you will not Save
bad Burn to the Trash Bin

casey.o

| Do CD burners come with Burning software (purchased NEW)?

Some do, some don't you have to Read the Box

| I've come top the conclusion tht the CD player on my slower XP machine
| is faulty, so if I'm gonna replace it, I may as well by a burner.
|
| If I do buy a burner, I dont want to get it home and find out I have to
| spend another $50 or more for software.

< http://www.deepburner.com/ >
Powerful CD and DVD Burning Package
DeepBurner is the advanced and powerful CD and DVD burning package. It
removes the hassle of making autoruns, creating and printing your own labels
and booklets. You're able to burn any data, copy any disc, make backups,
create astonishing photo albums, make ISO images and Video DVDs with this
easy to handle professional software!

There are two versions of the program:
DeepBurner Pro and DeepBurner Free.

I use the Free one for 16 years now

| Also, does it make sense to buy a DVD burner instead? Will the DVD
| burner also burn CDs? I know they will play both!

After XP all new OS is to big to a CD

Get a CD/DVD that
Burn DVD-RW too!

So that you will not Save
bad Burn to the Trash Bin

I'm not looking to get fancy or complicated. I'd like to be able to
make a copy of my XP install CD, or put a linux ISO onto a CD. I'd like
ot put my photos on a CD or DVD, and copy a bunch of my MP3 music to a
CD (directly as they are), so they can be played on any computer.
That's about all I want to do. Maybe copy a few music CDs too. I dont
care about Blue Ray. I cant see the difference between a blue ray or
DVD anyhow, and I have a new HDTV. Probably my eyes. I just got two
movies on Ebay that came with both the BlueRay and the DVD. To me, they
look the same.

If all the drives are SATA, I might be screwed. Only one of my
computers has Sata. But maybe I can find an older model that is IDE.

I assume I could also copy all my MP4 files saved from Youtube to any CD
or DVD too, so they can be played on another computer. Most of them are
small, 3 to 20 megs. But then again, I guess putting them on a portable
hard drive is about the same, and they will load faster from the HD.

OldGuy

Do CD burners come with Burning software (purchased NEW)?
I've come top the conclusion tht the CD player on my slower XP machine
is faulty, so if I'm gonna replace it, I may as well by a burner.

If I do buy a burner, I dont want to get it home and find out I have to
spend another $50 or more for software.

Also, does it make sense to buy a DVD burner instead? Will the DVD
burner also burn CDs? I know they will play both!

Thanks

The white box (OEM) do not have software.
The retail box may, but is a limited version with adware to get your to
buy an upscale version.
NERO is good and has sales often.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message <[email protected]>,

Wot 'e said. (If you buy the drive at a computer fair or similar, even
if it's a new one [I'd buy a new one - this is one area where they do
wear out], it might well not even be in a box.)
As others have said, you'll have a job finding a new drive that isn't a
DVD burner these days. (A DVD burner can read and write both CDs and
DVDs, virtually all variants.)
Lots of free burning software - XP itself has very rudimentary
capability with nothing added, but there are lots - ImgBurn,
ExpressBurn, Micro Burner, Burn4Free, CDBurnerXP ... most of which can
do data and audio CDs, and many can do DVDs too, though if you want DVDs
that will play in _any_ DVD player (i. e. with menus and so on), then
the choice is a bit more limited, though still large. Google for any of
these and look at their home pages. I've used the last two, but many are
fine.
[]
The only thing to be concerned about (I don't think the burner software
will be bothered) is if your machine only has EIDE. You can get EIDE to
SATA converters, or a card with SATA controllers on it (make sure it
comes with XP drivers though, if it needs them!, but I'd be surprised if
any don't yet) for not too much; I don't know how well the converters
would work with a burner, though I don't see why they shouldn't. But I'd
be surprised if you can't find someone selling an EIDE DVD writer still.
I've just had a quick look and they are available -
http://ebay.eu/1lA7J1Y is actually a SATA one with a converter, but you
should be able to do better than that pricewise I think.
I'm not looking to get fancy or complicated. I'd like to be able to
make a copy of my XP install CD, or put a linux ISO onto a CD. I'd like

Of the various softwares, CDBurnerXP a lot of people say is the easiest
to use for just making copies, as it has a simple button to do just
that. _Virtually_ all - I'd say all, but I haven't checked them all
obviously - of the softwares will burn from ISO. I donwnloaded it just
for that, and it worked fine.
ot put my photos on a CD or DVD, and copy a bunch of my MP3 music to a
CD (directly as they are), so they can be played on any computer.

All of those are trivial for any drive/software. (Just make sure you
don't select audio CD when burning the MP3s _if_ you want them burned as
MP3s.)
That's about all I want to do. Maybe copy a few music CDs too. I dont
care about Blue Ray. I cant see the difference between a blue ray or
DVD anyhow, and I have a new HDTV. Probably my eyes. I just got two
movies on Ebay that came with both the BlueRay and the DVD. To me, they
look the same.

Not all bluray material is necessarily using the full extra
functionality of the format. Though as data storage, they do have a
bigger capacity. But I'd agree, don't bother - more to pay, more to go
wrong.
If all the drives are SATA, I might be screwed. Only one of my
computers has Sata. But maybe I can find an older model that is IDE.

I didn't have a lot of trouble when I looked on ebay above (specifying
new only). Though a lot of them are laptop ones, and you probably won't
find one other than black!
I assume I could also copy all my MP4 files saved from Youtube to any CD
or DVD too, so they can be played on another computer. Most of them are

Indeed (provided the other PC has suitable player software of course).
small, 3 to 20 megs. But then again, I guess putting them on a portable
hard drive is about the same, and they will load faster from the HD.
Or even USB or memory card these days.

micky

I'm not looking to get fancy or complicated. I'd like to be able to
make a copy of my XP install CD, or put a linux ISO onto a CD. I'd like
ot put my photos on a CD or DVD, and copy a bunch of my MP3 music to a
CD (directly as they are), so they can be played on any computer.

Imgburn is all I ever use. Free. For a while I was having trouble,
but I slowed down the write speed and it's worked fine
That's about all I want to do. Maybe copy a few music CDs too. I dont
care about Blue Ray. I cant see the difference between a blue ray or
DVD anyhow, and I have a new HDTV. Probably my eyes. I just got two
movies on Ebay that came with both the BlueRay and the DVD. To me, they
look the same.

If all the drives are SATA, I might be screwed. Only one of my

I'm sure you can find an older model, out of a junked computer, or from
the second hand internet market. A friend just bought a square thin
screen monitor for 50 dollars. Had to shop online. For some reason she
doesn't want a wide one.
computers has Sata. But maybe I can find an older model that is IDE.
I assume I could also copy all my MP4 files saved from Youtube to any CD
or DVD too, so they can be played on another computer. Most of them are
small, 3 to 20 megs. But then again, I guess putting them on a portable
hard drive is about the same, and they will load faster from the HD.

A lot to be said for external HDDs.

Hot-Text

"Ant" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
@earthlink.com...
| On 4/5/2014 11:02 AM PT, OldGuy typed:
| > NERO is good and has sales often.
| I miss the old Nero.

Not Me
I have the CD
It came with the Old
CD/DVD Burner

casey.o

Any hardware you buy at this point will probably be a
CD/DVD writer. It does both. That's one of the things
that might be worth buying online. A few months ago
I was building a new PC. Hard disks were the same price
at TigerDirect as they were at Staples. But DVD writers
were about $17 (Samsung), as opposed to $50-$70 at
Staples. The only difference is that you get a fancy
box with the Staples product. So if you can use other
stock -- enough to be worth making an online order --
that option might be worth looking into.

If I'm understanding this right, you bought the DVD writer at Tiger
Direct, for about $17...... Right?

For that price, I'll order one right away.

casey.o

"Ant" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
@earthlink.com...
| On 4/5/2014 11:02 AM PT, OldGuy typed:
| > NERO is good and has sales often.
| I miss the old Nero.

Not Me
I have the CD
It came with the Old
CD/DVD Burner

Dont they make Nero any more? Although I never used it, I remember the
name quite well......

Ken Blake, MVP

Dont they make Nero any more? Although I never used it, I remember the
name quite well......

Yes, they do. The latest version is called Nero 2014.

It's not a great choice, as far as I'm concerned.

Paul

If I'm understanding this right, you bought the DVD writer at Tiger
Direct, for about $17...... Right?

For that price, I'll order one right away.

It's possible a $50 box at Staples, is a "retail" drive,
with software inside the box. In some cases, you actually
have to drive to the store, and read the side of the box,
to determine whether you're getting Nero, or some piece of
crap for burning software. (I've had cases where the
information about the product, simply doesn't list it on
the web, necessitating a drive to the store for a look.)
Back when I was shopping for "burners with Nero in the box",
there wasn't an Imgburn available for free. Now, with Imgburn
available, I can go for the $20 drives instead (like my last
two).

A $17 drive doesn't come with screws or CDs. It may even come
in a plastic bag, rather than a box. They arrive at a store in
a crate of a larger quantity, and are individually pulled from
the crate and sold. Just like an OEM hard drive is pulled
from a crate. That's how I used to get them from a (now
bankrupt) computer store downtown. The guy which reach into
the crate and pull out a drive. That's how I knew the drive
had received good handling (not already dropped on the store floor).

If you read the customer reviews, it's easier to spot issues
with the optical drives that way. I check for "noise" in the reviews,
to find the really bad ones. On the same brand, I've had noisy
drives (don't balance properly) and ones that self-balance
perfectly. Once the spindle is set for some high speed, then
all bets are off on the noise. There's the rush of air they
can't get rid of.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

There really aren't a lot of manufacturers left in the list
there. So the selection process won't be all that lengthy.

Once you spot the one you want, you can price around on
TigerDirect (including shipping cost in your calculation).

When you spot a model you like, Google the model number
and look for "firmware updates". You update the thing
as soon as you get it, then "dial in" your media (test
small quantities of media, to see if the drive does a
good job burning them). I've had drives that were crap,
until the firmware update was loaded, so now that's one
of my first steps. Frequently, you spend more on
small samples of media, to do the burn tests, than you
spend for the drive itself. The DVD generation is
making this process easier, but old habits die hard.
It takes about a week, before I'm really satisfied and
trusting the drive (can throw away shipping materials).

Paul

Paul

Dont they make Nero any more? Although I never used it, I remember the
name quite well......

Once the Nero package went over 100MB in size, I
kinda lost interest.

Imgburn is much smaller by comparison (just watch for toolbars
in the installer of recent versions).

Paul

Mayayana

| > Any hardware you buy at this point will probably be a
| >CD/DVD writer. It does both. That's one of the things
| >that might be worth buying online. A few months ago
| >I was building a new PC. Hard disks were the same price
| >at TigerDirect as they were at Staples. But DVD writers
| >were about $17 (Samsung), as opposed to $50-$70 at
| >Staples. The only difference is that you get a fancy
| >box with the Staples product. So if you can use other
| >stock -- enough to be worth making an online order --
| >that option might be worth looking into.
|
| If I'm understanding this right, you bought the DVD writer at Tiger
| Direct, for about $17...... Right?

I just looked it up. I was partially mistaken. In December
I bought one for $25, though I think they actually discounted
that price, and the shipping was free.... I guess because it
was near Christmas:

Samsung 24X DVDRW Internal Drive - SATA Interface, 0.75 MB Buffer, 48X CD-R,
12X DVD+/-RW, 40X CD-RW - SH-224DB/RSBS (S203-8593) $24.99

The one I was remembering I bought 8/2012:

Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE 22X Internal DVDRW Drive - SATA, 1.5MB Buffer, 22x
DVD+/-R,
8x DVD+/-RW, 16x DVD+R DL, 12x DVD-R DL, OEM, Black
Item#: S203-8588 OEM | Model#: SH-222BB/BEBE
$17.99

There's a Samsung now for $16:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat..._slc.asp?CatId=1624&Nav=|c:89|&Sort=3&Recs=10

I tend to trust Samsung. I don't really have enough
experience to hold a rational opinion, but their stuff
seems to end up in a lot of PCs, and I figure that
the OEM companies probably put a lot of effort into
looking for dependable parts. They also *really* make
this stuff. Unlike a company like Apple (for whom they
make iPhone screens) or HP, they actually make the
hardware themselves. (I don't know about HP writers,
but their PCs are like any other OEM: a collection
of other peoples' parts in a name-brand case.)

If you're just buying a DVD writer, though, and you have
to pay shipping, it won't be such a bargain. I usually
go to Tigerdirect when I'm building a new machine
for myself or a friend. I find their prices good and they
provide a lot of information about the products. I can
buy all the parts there and know that they'll go together,
so I'm usually buying 6 or 8 parts in one order.
They don't have anything worth looking at for software,
but other places have Windows disks and the like.

These days I can't find most parts at all locally. There's
Staples and Best Buy for some things like hard disks.
They're OK if the item I want is on sale. Then there's
Microcenter, which I try to avoid. They're like a budget
warehouse. Boxes are often dented. Their prices are
pretty good, but they once refused me a refund on a
faulty part, so I've avoided them ever since. (I've never
had Staples refuse a return.) With the quality control
on computer parts, giving people a hard time about
returns just doesn't work. I try not to go to Microcenter
now for anything more involved than a fan or adapter.

Hot-Text

| On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 14:47:44 -0500, "Hot-Text" <[email protected]>
| wrote:

| >| On 4/5/2014 11:02 AM PT, OldGuy typed:
| >| I miss the old Nero.
| >
| > Not Me
| > I have the CD
| >It came with the Old
| > CD/DVD Burner
|
| Don't they make Nero any more?

Nero up and running @
< http://www.nero.com/enu/ >
For $109.99

| Although I never used it,
| I remember the name quite well......

Like you Although i use it maybe one
or two time

Remenber Micky Words
Slowed down the write speed
and it's worked fine

This is for all Software that Burn CD/DVD
To the Slows writting speed that it can go
It will Burn 99.9% with out errors

micky

I'm sure you can find an older model, out of a junked computer, or from
the second hand internet market. A friend just bought a square thin
screen monitor for 50 dollars. Had to shop online. For some reason she
doesn't want a wide one.

Not only that, there are SATA cards that go into empty slots, if you
have one, and into which you can plug SATA devices. They have iirc a
jack inside the computer and 2 or 4 on the back panel.