Windows XP my burner cant read dvd.

Reaction score
Hi,
As this is my first attempt ever to contact a forum please excuse any mistakes I make. I have a very limited knowledge of computers so I will probably not explain myself very well. The problem is when I put a blank DVD into the cd drive I get a message "D: is not accessible". I have tried different brands of DVD with the same result. In the past I have had no problem in burning DVD'S.I can play dvd's and cd's. I am using Microsoft xp and the burner is a Nec DVD RW ND-25/0A.
Any help would be much appreciated.
regards,
dumba.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Assuming your drive is capable of burning DVD's I'd say either it's faulty or the drive doesn't like the media you're using.

Try a different make of blank DVD (Verbatim are good) and if you get the same message replace the burner.

Reaction score
Windows XP doesn't natively support DVD writing.
You need to use additional software i.e InCD or in your case InDVD, Roxio DVD Creator etc.
I bet you would be able to make a DVD via this software if you have it installed.
Also I think that you may be mistaken and have created CD's the way you described in the past.
However, Vista does support this method of DVD creation.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aha. As dumba mentioned he'd previously burnt DVD's without any problems I assumed his machine had suitable software.

I'm also assuming all information given is correct ;)

Reaction score
Wait a moment....
Title = my burner cant read dvd.
says he puts blanks in it :p
As blank discs have no file allocation table the drive will report as inaccessable !!!

.... and no offense flopps but we have this type of post monthly.... the user is addiment that they do it right, everytime it has been due to user error.
No offense dumba

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... in my case it WAS drive error. It was nucking fackard.

It could read CDs & write CDs, but not DVDs ... I replaced it. ;)

:user:

Reaction score
Sorry I should have mentioned that I have used Nero and Ulead programs to write the DVD'S in the past without any problems. I have tried Verbatim and Philips and Sony discs to no avail.

I reckon it is nucking fackard but if I buy a new burner will I have the same problem eg... is it a software issue or is the physical unit kaput.

No offence taking JaLing it is most likely something I have done.

Reaction score
If you don't mind please try writing a CD and post back what happened.
If you do it via My Computer there should be no issue of writing CDs, if it fails then the drive is at fault.
(Don;t let it format the CD-R, if it does the disc will be burnt with nothing on it).
How many drives do you have ? You may have to specifically set the drive your software burns to.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
dumba said:
Sorry I should have mentioned that I have used Nero and Ulead programs to write the DVD'S in the past without any problems. I have tried Verbatim and Philips and Sony discs to no avail.

I reckon it is nucking fackard but if I buy a new burner will I have the same problem eg... is it a software issue or is the physical unit kaput.

No offence taking JaLing it is most likely something I have done.

Can't say for sure but I'd gamble on it being the optical drive at fault, they're the most common computer component to go belly-up.

DVDRW's are typically about £25.00, even in PC World.

If it were me I'd replace the drive.

If you're buying online Scan, Aria and E-Buyer are worth looking at.

Reaction score
I have spent a few hours messing around trying to burn a disc and this is the final result. When using ulead i get a message "you need a cd-r/rw to burn a VCD/SVCD disc image file". When using windows media I get a message "Please insert a blank disc in CD drive (D:)" and when i use Nero it burns the disc but with no sound.

Ja Ling I have also tried to burn a cd but get the "D: is not accessible" message and when i tried to play a cd there is no sound.

I think it is time to accept defeat and hope that the new driver doesnt suffer the same fate.

Thanks lads for all your input.

Reaction score
you are using the cd writer or dvd writer.if you are using the cd writer you can not write dvd's because cd writer cannot write on dvds.

installed the drivers of the dvd writer.

installed the new software for the dvd writer like nero cd burn or more

click on to this avail source at edited for spam, user banned - fbs and get the information.

Reaction score
Have bought a new burner and have the same problem. Please can anyone help as i need to burn a dvd for a Birthday next month.
Yours in complete ignorance,
Dumba.

Reaction score
Ok, I have had a quick read through this thread what is the problem that you are having now? Is it that the drive wont burn DVDS? Or there is no sound on them? Or you are still getting the message the drive is not assessable? lastly what program are you using? If this is nero 6 then yo will need to install the updates that fixes the problem when creating videos in Nero without the sound. Have you tried changing the cable? You could try the disk drive in another pc and see if it works in there.

Last edited:

Ask a Question