HELP: USB 2.0 4-Port Hub compatibility problems old 500 mhz compu

G

I have an old 500 mhz AMD chip Compaq computer with Windows XP operating system. The computer only has 2 USB ports, so I purchased and installed a Belkin USB 2.0 hi-speed hub. When I installed it while the computer was on, the computer recognized the new hardware. However, when I now turn-on the computer with the USB 2.0 hub connected to the computer, Windows XP DOES NOT LOAD UP. There is just a black screen with the Compaq logo.

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem so that Windows XP will start-up with the USB 2.0 hub connected? Please help. Thanks.

D

...D.

I don't know a whole lot about this. But I have to make a sizeable bet that
an old 500 MHz computer with only 2 USB ports has the old standard USB1, or
1.1, or whatever it is called, and not USB2.0.

Just guessing, but you are adding a device that is probably fixed for only
USB2 when you only have USB =1 coming out of your computer. It works the
other way around.

....D.

G

Thanks for your reply. You are thinking the same thing I have been thinking. Two things confuse me though: (1) Any USB device (not the hub), which is directly connected to computer works fine and does not lock-up Windows XP at start-up; and (2) the USB 2.0 4-port hub is supposed to be backwards-compatible with USB 1.1 devices, meaning that it will recognize USB 1.1 device connections but transfer at slower speeds since the computer does not have a updated "USB host controller". Well that's what the pop-up computer message said when it detected the hardware.

D

...D.

Just guessing, but you are adding a device that is probably fixed for only
mfang11 said:
Thanks for your reply. You are thinking the same thing I have been thinking. Two things confuse me though: (1) Any USB device (not the hub), which is directly connected to computer works fine and does not lock-up Windows XP at start-up; and (2) the USB 2.0 4-port hub is supposed to be backwards-compatible with USB 1.1 devices, meaning that it will recognize USB 1.1 device connections but transfer at slower speeds since the computer does not have a updated "USB host controller". Well that's what the pop-up computer message said when it detected the hardware.

My thinking on this that those USB devices you are testing with & being
successful are all USB 1 compatible. They don't definitely need the speed.
But there are some devices that must have USB 2 to work. I am betting your
HUB is one - after all, it is by definition a USB 2 hub, and will accept USB 1
devices plugged into IT, but only if the HUB itself is plugged into a USB 2
hole in your computer.

....D.

Ask a Question