Help! - Internet Explorer IE6 - Clearing Temporary Internet Files

Joseph Ferraro

If someone could offer some assistance here I would be very grateful.

I have the option set to delete temporary internet files when exiting IE -
However they are not being cleared. I suspect that there is an item in the
registry that has become stuck, but I have no idea how to resolve this, and
it is driving me crazy.

Oh yeah, be kind to me, I am technically challenged and no where as swift as
the rest of you.

HELP!!!!

Don Varnau

Hi,
You may have to shut down other programs in order for this to work. I've
seen messages indicating that AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) and possibly MSN
Messenger can cause this. There are probably other programs which interact
in some way with IE that could prevent clearing of the TIF folder.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Joseph Ferraro

Other than antivirus; nothing else running on PC - and when I shut that
down, still doesn't work.

| Hi,
| You may have to shut down other programs in order for this to work. I've
| seen messages indicating that AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) and possibly MSN
| Messenger can cause this. There are probably other programs which interact
| in some way with IE that could prevent clearing of the TIF folder.
|
| Don
| [MS MVP- IE/OE]
|

| "Joseph Ferraro" <jsjf[at]optonline.net> wrote in message
| | > If someone could offer some assistance here I would be very grateful.
| >
| > I have the option set to delete temporary internet files when exiting
IE -
| > However they are not being cleared. I suspect that there is an item in
the
| > registry that has become stuck, but I have no idea how to resolve this,
| and
| > it is driving me crazy.
| >
| > Oh yeah, be kind to me, I am technically challenged and no where as
swift
| as
| > the rest of you.
| >
| > HELP!!!!

Ramesh, MS-MVP

In addition to Don:

Make sure that OE is not running.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

If someone could offer some assistance here I would be very grateful.

I have the option set to delete temporary internet files when exiting IE -
However they are not being cleared. I suspect that there is an item in the
registry that has become stuck, but I have no idea how to resolve this, and
it is driving me crazy.

Oh yeah, be kind to me, I am technically challenged and no where as swift as
the rest of you.

HELP!!!!

Uncle John

"Joseph Ferraro"

It will not work if you have SP installed.

It seems excessivle cautious to delete all the temporary internet files
every time you close your browser. A better way would be to schedule
cleanmgr.exe to run as frequently as you think necessary with just the
Internet Files checked.

Otherwise go to Control panel\Internet Options\General and left click the
delete Files bar in the middle of the popup window.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Sorry, no other ideas except to try unchecking that option (Empty TIF folder
when browser is closed) restarting then checking it again.

This article says that AV programs can cause this, but you disabled your AV.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814782

As Ramesh added, OE can cause this. When you hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, there are
no "forgotten" programs running?

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Joseph Ferraro said:
Other than antivirus; nothing else running on PC - and when I shut that
down, still doesn't work.

| Hi,
| You may have to shut down other programs in order for this to work. I've
| seen messages indicating that AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) and possibly MSN
| Messenger can cause this. There are probably other programs which interact
| in some way with IE that could prevent clearing of the TIF folder.
|
| "Joseph Ferraro" <jsjf[at]optonline.net> wrote in message
| | > If someone could offer some assistance here I would be very grateful.
| >
| > I have the option set to delete temporary internet files when exiting
IE -
| > However they are not being cleared. I suspect that there is an item in
the
| > registry that has become stuck, but I have no idea how to resolve this,
| and
| > it is driving me crazy.
| >
| > Oh yeah, be kind to me, I am technically challenged and no where as
swift as the rest of you.

| > HELP!!!!

R. McCarty

Just a couple of suggestions, First login to an alternate account. Then
use explorer and navigate to your original profile name and then into
the Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files folder and delete all the
content (Make sure View options to show Hidden and System files
are enabled). This will remove all Cookies as well, so you may want
to consider that.
Then re-login to your original account and use IE applet in Control
Panel to adjust size and verify that no content is present.
If you are using XP Home you'll need to boot to Safe Mode and use
the Administrator account.

-or-

Use IE Control Panel Applet and simply re-direct the TIF folder to a
different location on your drive / after mandatory logout/login try to
do a delete on the content. Afterwards, move the folder back to it's
original location.

Joseph Ferraro said:
Other than antivirus; nothing else running on PC - and when I shut that
down, still doesn't work.

| Hi,
| You may have to shut down other programs in order for this to work.
I've
| seen messages indicating that AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) and possibly MSN
| Messenger can cause this. There are probably other programs which interact
| in some way with IE that could prevent clearing of the TIF folder.
|
| "Joseph Ferraro" <jsjf[at]optonline.net> wrote in message
| | > If someone could offer some assistance here I would be very grateful.
| >
| > I have the option set to delete temporary internet files when exiting
IE -
| > However they are not being cleared. I suspect that there is an item
in
the
| > registry that has become stuck, but I have no idea how to resolve this,
| and
| > it is driving me crazy.
| >
| > Oh yeah, be kind to me, I am technically challenged and no where as
swift as the rest of you.

| > HELP!!!!

Jetro

If you would manage to clear the cache in Safe mode the odds are you caught
a Trojan.