help i have a problem when working in lan

G

hai
i 'am studyin in engineering college we have lan in our hostel i have working on windowsxp professional when i'am connecting pc from other persons pc such as typing \\computername\c$ for accessing computer from other computer the user name cannot be editing its guest and cannot be edited so i can't login in administrator many of my friends has same problem how can i access my computer from other computer in xp if any one know plz mail me......... i'am very thankfull to u please mail to (e-mail address removed)

C

Chuck

hai ,
i 'am studyin in engineering college we have lan in our hostel i have working on windowsxp professional when i'am connecting pc from other persons pc such as typing \\computername\c$ for accessing computer from other computer the user name cannot be editing its guest and cannot be edited so i can't login in administrator many of my friends has same problem how can i access my computer from other computer in xp if any one know plz mail me......... i'am very thankfull to u please mail to *email_address_deleted*

Sriram,

Asked here, answered here. For everybody's benefit.

For several reasons, it is not advisable to share data as C$. The C$ share is
an administrative share, and is only available to others on the LAN who have
administrative access to your computer. There are several folders on C$ which
should NOT be shared on the network.

If your version of Windows XP allows you to designate a shared folder, do that.
Make "C:'Shared Data", and share it. But don't share C$.

YOu're mentioning the Guest account. I'm betting your problem is that you are
not using Simple File Sharing.

Check the Local Security Policy (Control Panel - Administrative Tools). Under
Local Policies - Security Options, look at "Network access: Sharing and security
model", and ensure it's set to "Classic - local users authenticate as
themselves".

If you set the Local Security Policy to "Guest only", make sure that the Guest
account is enabled, and has a non-blank password. If "Classic", setup and use a
common account with identical password on both computers.

Cheers,
Chuck
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Ask a Question