have connection can ping but still "page cannot be displayed"

Winxp sp2 ie 6.0.2
I cannot view web pages. My computer is set up for 2 users the other user
can view pages but not mine. I can ping the router and I can ping yahoo.com
and I receive my mail in outlook. I cant talk to the router or view webs from
my side. Our wireless enabled laptop is doing the exact same thing. Mine
started the next day after a restart. I checked for corrupt host files and
reset the router.

Since one user can access the web, this rules out a hardware problem. Also
you state you can ping yahoo.com and receive email. This is another
indication it is not a hardware problem. Have you validated the settings for
the second user and on the laptop are the same as the user that can access
the web?

Don Varnau

Hi,

Some things to try:
Easy steps first...

A complete shutdown for about 5 minutes- computer(s), modem, router-
everything.

Delete the Temporary Internet Files. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General>
Delete files (and delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's
often
recommended that the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)

Disable toolbars and other add-ons to IE. Disable, for diagnostic purposes,
any third-party security software-
firewall, antivirus, ad-blockers, etc. Turn on the Windows firewall before
disabling a third-party firewall. You may have to reinstall or reconfigure a
program.

This is possibly a malware problem. Malware can infect/affect just one user
account.

Start with BHODemon 2.0: http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm
Then try CWShredder, Ad-aware, Spybot and the other programs listed and
explained at
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm Also note the security tips on that
page.

Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/Darnit.htm

If unsuccessful with those programs, you may have to post a HijackThis log
for analysis. Start at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075 Then go to
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm Work through the preliminary cleaning
steps then post a HijackThis log to the forum at

Be patient. It's a busy forum.

HijackThis logs are also analyzed at these (and other) forums. Look for the
proper forum and an "Important- Read This First" message so that you follow
proper procedure.
http://castlecops.com/forums.html
http://tomcoyote.com/forums/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
http://forum.iamnotageek.com/index.php
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Brian" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Don
Wow what a helpful post!
i have tried everything you suggested and then again in safe mode! The only
thing i have yet to try is posting the hijack log. I have found absolutely no
trace of malware. Any other ideas before I post the hijack log?
One other thing I can view web pages in safe mode.
Thank you

"Brian" wrote in message
Winxp sp2 ie 6.0.2
I cannot view web pages. My computer is set up for 2 users the other user
can view pages but not mine. I can ping the router and I can ping yahoo.com
and I receive my mail in outlook. I cant talk to the router or view webs from
my side. Our wireless enabled laptop is doing the exact same thing. Mine
started the next day after a restart. I checked for corrupt host files and
reset the router.

Hi
Finally found the problem! Mcafee personal protection suite was preventing
webs from loading. I had tried disabling both the firewall and anti virus. I
did not make it work until I disabled it in the selective startup using
"msconfig".
This is the Program Microsoft was so kind to supply for free with
verizon/msn.
THANKS MCAFEE!!!!##$%*&!&!!!!!!

Thanks for your help!!!
Don Varnau said:
Hi Brian,
Additional thought... This may not help, but it won't hurt...
Try WinsockFix from
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml
or
http://news.swzone.it/swznews-9826.php

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Brian" wrote in message
Don
Wow what a helpful post!
i have tried everything you suggested and then again in safe mode! The only
thing i have yet to try is posting the hijack log. I have found absolutely no
trace of malware. Any other ideas before I post the hijack log?
One other thing I can view web pages in safe mode.
Thank you

I just reloaded mcafee virus scan from msn member center. Once again it
prevented webs from loading.

: