Hardware problem with PowerDVD Version 4

Reaction score
I'm having problems using my DVD player on my PC (using PowerDVD V4 software). When I try to play using PowerDVD Player I get the message that 'Windows has encountered a problem and has to close'.

I have just replaced the DVD ROM with a new one so I know this is not the problem.

I also have tried playing my DVD's with a codec downloaded off the internet which usually plays EVERYTHING!!
The codec partially plays the DVD but the screen image is all fragmented.

Do you think this means that the problem is with my graphics card? I think it's a 32mb one. I don't know the exact specifications on it and I don't know how to check. It could be really old.

Help!!!! Please.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Do you have an older version of PowerDVD you can try, say, V3.0?

If that works, stay with it, there's not much of a difference.

It may well be your video card not having enough memory to work with the later DVD software.

You can pick up an ATI Radeon 9200 card with 128Mb of memory for under fifty quid. If you can afford that, it would eliminate the question mark hanging over your current video card.

Reaction score
i very much doubt that its the graphics card causing the problem here,

did it work ok before you installed the new drive?

if not has it ever worked ok?

what drive have you installled?

what version of windows are you using 95/98/98SE/ME/2K/XP/XP SP1?

How much system memory (RAM) do you have?

Is the pc machine ok at performing other tasks eg games etc.?

J

Reaction score
Hi Techy.......in answer to your questions....

> did it work ok before you installed the new drive?

no it didn't

> if not has it ever worked ok?

no it's never worked using a Powerdvd Player or DivX.

> what drive have you installled?

I've just installed a 16xspeed dvd rom which is working OK.

> what version of windows are you using 95/98/98SE/ME/2K/XP/XP SP1?

I'm using Windows XP professional.

> How much system memory (RAM) do you have?

I have 512 RAM

> Is the pc machine ok at performing other tasks eg games etc.?

It works on some games, doesn't seem to make a difference if they are old or new.....e.g. championship manager 2004 works(brothers game by the way, not mine)
but some games don't work, e.g. need for speed underground doesn't (the sound comes up for the game but not the screen), can't remember what else. But some games work and some don't!!!

I hope this gives you an idea of the problem that I may be having. I bought this PC 2nd hand off a guy and ever since I bought it I have been having MAJOR problems and the DVD player has never worked on it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Some suggestions:

Swap out the IDE cable that the DVD is on.

Check DVD is set to DMA mode and not PIO.

Check DVD jumper position is correct.

Looking at this prob again, with extra info, it does actually sound like the DVD ROM drive could be playing up. Was it a brand new DVD ROM drive you fitted?

Reaction score
Sorry, could you explain please.

I don't know what you mean by 'swap out the IDE cable'?

Also, I don't know how to check what DMA or PIO mode is!!

And the DVD jumpers are definitely correct. (there are 2 leads connecting it to the computer)

The DVD drive is reading CD's OK, it just doesn't play DVD's.

I fitted my new CD RW in the same way without any probs.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
'Swap out the IDE cable' simply means try a substitute cable (usually of a flat ribbon type) just in case your one is faulty. Unlikely, but always worth eliminating the possibility by substitution with a known good cable.

Which two leads are connecting drive to computer? Obviously one is the IDE cable, presumably the other lead is the four pin molex power conmnector. If you don't mean that, and you have an audio lead going to your sound card or on board sound, you don't need that audio lead if you're using Win XP Pro.

To check what mode your drive is running in:

Start >> Control Panel >> System >> Hardware >> Device Manager >> Ide ATA/ATAPI Controllers, then either Primary or Secondary IDE Channel, whatever one your DVD ROM drive is on >> Advanced settings.

You should see a window like this:

dma.jpg

If it shows PIO, here's a guide how to correct it:

Correct DMA setting

Ask a Question