hard drive problems

Reaction score
hard driv problems

I am running me on my new pc, my hard drive is a 120g sata but in windows it says it is a 2g hardrive could some one help please. Cheers

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is this Windows XP, or a much older version?

I suggest running an FDISK program to resize your drive to allow the maximum space to be allocated.

Reaction score
think he's running ME, and ME doesn't support unpartitioned HDD's that size, but it should still see more than 2GB, can't find any info on this!

Hate not knowing, where's Muckshifter he'll know?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry folks, been off the air ...

Tech is correct ... and to really solve your problem we'll need a bit more info'

Who's motherboard? how is the drive connected to the MB? Did you install the drivers?

Oh, and thanks for the confidence Tech. :cool:

Reaction score
The mother board is a asus A7V600-X, the harddrive is a maxtor 120G sata i didn't get any drivers with it if, please let me know if you need any more info. Cheers

muckshifter

Reaction score
The 'drivers' are with the MB ... you can get them Here although you should have the MB CD with them on.

As usual with most SATA MB's you will find that it is a RAID SATA system ... to make thing simple for you ... you're going to need an ordinary IDE hard drive to install your OS to, then add the SATA drive after you’ve installed the drivers.

Just a Note to clear up a point ...
ME has a native limitation of 137GB supporting ATA interface disc drives that are attached to traditional Primary and Secondary IDE Channels on the motherboard. In this configuration WinMe will not create partitions greater than 137GB. XP can, but, it will need SP1. :)

Reaction score
If i got a new hard drive which one would you recomend. Thanks to all the people that have cotributed to this thread.

muckshifter

Reaction score
I like Maxtor HDs ... any DiamondMax 9 series. ;)

Reaction score
Yeah I can agree with that, always been happy with my Maxtor DM9, even though its only the 2MB cache model.

Reaction score
I f i was using it to hold o\s system, will i still be able to use the full 120g on the other drive. Would this mean using the raid facility on motherboard.

Reaction score
Is there any advantage using raid, if i did would the hard drives have to be the same size and type ie sata/ide. CHEERS

Reaction score
It would be difficult if they weren't the same size and type yes, the advantage to raid its faster, its more for a server application though, where files are being read and written all the time. I'd struggle to justify the cost and hassle on a home system.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It would be advantageous to use a RAID setup with your board, you wouldn't need an IDE disk to put your OS on then. But you would need to buy another identical 120Gb drive and then create a RAID 0 array.

Windows should then recognise the Raid array as one 240Gb drive (or maybe only 137Gb, not sure about Win ME) when you're installing. You'll need to install the Raid drivers for the OS when you're installing, not sure about ME, but with WIN 2K & XP, you put the floppy in the drive and hit F6 when prompted during the install. If in doubt, RTFM. Uh, that is, consult your Motherboard manual :)

Really though, for around forty quid you can pick up a 40Gb HDD to store your OS on, then access your 120Gb drive once Windows is installed.

PS: No need to shout Norton, all caps is considered bad etiquette old boy, and is not nice, no no. Patience, we is not all here online 24/7, somebody WILL get to you eventually though, 'k? :)

Reaction score
I would just like to say thanks for all the advise i have been given, and apologise for typing in capital letter. Cheers

Reaction score
yes norton using raid requires two harddrive of the same model. they have to be indentical. there are different types of raid 0
raid 1 and there are more.

the simple idea is to link up two harddrive to make one partition so techincally one could have two 120gb harddrives to make one partition of 240 gb harddrive

pretty neat if u ask me but only if u know what u r doing!

Reaction score
New hard drive

I have just purchased a 40g hard drive, and would be grateful of some advise about installing it and configuring it, mother board is a asus a7v6000-x. I also have a sata 120g on the system already. Thanks again for all advise and help that has been given.

Ask a Question