Hard Drive compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi,

I have Phoenix - Award BIOS v6.00PG, Copyright 1984-2002.
Phoenix Technologies Ltd.

My Main Processor is : Intel Pentium(R) 4 with 1.80 GHz.

Can anyone tell what type of hard drive is compatible with my above given Desktop PC model. I mean can i use SATA, SCSI or any other hard drive, and what could be it's maximum capacity that can be attached to my PC.

I have ATA hard drive and it's completely down. I need to purchase a new one.

Thanks in advance!!

Adios!!

Reaction score
@EvanDavis: I went through the link u posted, but it does not have the information i need. thank man, and i think @765uyuytuyuty has got a point. but i dont know how to determine this "mainboard" type

@765uyuytuyuty and @EvanDavis: Can u please tell me what do you mean by mainboard type. where is it printed?.

N Thanks guys for replying!!

Adios!!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sounds like a socket 478 MB to me, therefore will only handle ATA (IDE) drives of UDMA33/66/100 ... simply take the side off the case, the left side as you look at the front, and tell us what is printed on the motherboard.

as an example

:user:

Reaction score
On the board its written 'MAXTONE'.

The main intel chip (i.e the processor) has a fan on it. (Ofcourse there should be).
But On the fan there is a description of the chip as follows:

Intel
A65061-003
01032... and lots of numbers

The jumper on the motherboard connecting the hard drive is a 39 pin jumper.

muckshifter

Reaction score
The HD you require is an old standard IDE drive, it's actually called a 40pin parallel ATA connector, or PATA, as opposed to serial ATA (SATA)

The numbers, if any, are on the motherboard itself, I'm not concerned with what fan you have, tho' I am pretty sure you have an oldish system. :)

Take the HD out, pop along to PCWorld and ask for the same 'type', not necessary the same make and I'm sure they'll have what you need.

You are sure your HD is nucking fackard, yes?

http://www.maxtone.com/intel-mb.html

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You could also run Speccy Link free diagnostic software which will tell you all you need to know about your machine's innards.

Reaction score
@muckshifter:

looking at the port struct me to search for their port configuration. And wallah! You are right! I'm only left with IDE.
But one more thing that bugs me is that what may be the max. capacity HD that i can successfully install on my motherboard.
Anywayz i'm thinking of buying an 80GB HD. If u think i shouldn't do so in haste please tell me.

muckshifter

Reaction score
@muckshifter:

looking at the port struct me to search for their port configuration. And wallah! You are right! I'm only left with IDE.
But one more thing that bugs me is that what may be the max. capacity HD that i can successfully install on my motherboard.
Anywayz i'm thinking of buying an 80GB HD. If u think i shouldn't do so in haste please tell me.
yep, should be fine for that system.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you can get an 80Gb HDD at a reasonable price and it suits your needs then by all means do so but I don't think it's worth spending much on such an old machine, it would possibly work out a lot better financially to buy an off the shelf low end complete machine new.

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all your help!!

@muckshifter, @EvanDavis.

@floppybootstomp: I thought about your suggestion for a while, but still had a piece in me saying why not give it a try to buy new hd. after all it wont be a waste. and u know what it's working fine. Thank u so much!!
Adios!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question