Hard Drive Clicking

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
wizkid said:
historian,

Did you look at the PDF file AB linked to?

That was one of my goofs as it seems to show IDE jumper settings. So disregard that advice of mine Historian..

:blush:

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
That was one of my goofs as it seems to show IDE jumper settings. So disregard that advice of mine Historian..

:blush:

Ah ok I should have downloaded it and looked at it really cos I would have then seen it was IDE and not SATA.

Historian,

What is the model of your hard drive?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Manual here
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=K8V-MX&product=1

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Your hdd should look like this with a jumper in it. Leave the jumper in it. Follow the advice in the third pic. Download your manual to help.

happywave.gif

Attachments

• sata.png
    sata.png
    83 KB · Views: 2,257
  • sata1.png
    sata1.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 2,599
  • sata2.png
    sata2.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 900
Reaction score
wizkid said:
historian,

Did you look at the PDF file AB linked to?

Hi wizkid.
I have indeed looked at ABs PDF file.
But as I`ve said to AB,the new H/DD has no jumper pins like the ones shown in the PDF file. It has only,next to the data cable, a small row of four tiny pins and that`s it.
historian

Reaction score
Hello Abarbarian.

Thanks for your reply and pics.
My H/DD looks similar to your photos,except there is no jumber block with it.So once again I`m snookered.
historian :(

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
historian said:
Hello Abarbarian.

Thanks for your reply and pics.
My H/DD looks similar to your photos,except there is no jumber block with it.So once again I`m snookered.
historian :(

Can you post a picture of the drive, same as my first pic in me last post. An one of the top of the drive with the writting on it. An a pic of the sales invoice where you bought he drive from.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Hi Abarbarian.

Ta for your reply.
Can you refresh my mind as to how to go about uploading pics to this forum,please make it simple.
By the way. Your pictures were very pixalated;I could just about make out the picture.
historian:thumb:

Reaction score
One other thing Abarbarian. You mention that I "should down load my manual" I`ve taken a look at the link you gave me and my eyes and brain glazed over. Which manual do I need?

historian
icon4.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Can you post a picture of the drive, same as my first pic in me last post. An one of the top of the drive with the writting on it. An a pic of the sales invoice where you bought he drive from.

happywave.gif

Hi Abarbarian.

here are the pics of the rear end of my new HDD and the sales invoice. Trust this helps matters.
historian

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 243
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 195
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 183
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 192

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Go tot the manual page, click on your os WINXP, look for the, manual + link, open up the menu by clicking on the , + , download via the Global link.

Looks like you have the lateset Seagate SATA 2 drive with a missing jumper. as far as I am a ware they should come with a jumper so get in touch with Aria and ask them to send you out a free replacement or buy one of em. Or ask here, someone must have a spare, mind you they are teeny so folk may not be able to find em. I ain't got a spare.

Once you have the jumper in place as my pic shows then you should be good to go.

happywave.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I have seen a considerable amount of hard drives with no jumpers fitted, mainly IDE. As today we don't see many older PCs, I'm not surprised to see them, manufactures, saving money by not supplying a jumper.

Just to confirm, your particular VIA chipset, it was never that good, is not SATA 3Gbit/s compatible. :(

I have a few hundred HD/MB jumpers, only £99 each ... free if you send me an address. Please state preferd colour, black, blue, red or yellow. ;)

:user:

Ask a Question