Hard Drive Clicking

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
historian said:
Hello Ian.

My computer almost failed to boot this afternoon,I`ve been having trouble with it on and off for a few months. Like your h/d the thing is clicking more than ever. To day a notice came up via Microsoft to tell me that there is an error on the H/D. So now I need to change to a new H/D. I`ve made a back up of the internal h/d onto my stand alone one,I`ve made a disk image.
My question is when I get this new h/d and fit it in,do I just transfer the image I`ve created straight over to the new h/d,o/s and all, it seems to easy? Can you,or other members,give any idea of what happens please,and where to I shop for a new H/D.
Many thanks.
historian

Which software did you use for the backup?

To reinstall a hard drive backup you need to boot from media made from the backup software, usually a CD.

Then you need to make sure the software can see your external hard drive.

If those criteria are met then it's simply a matter of following the instructions in your software to reinstall your old hard drive data to the new one.

I use Acronis True Image Ten for this purpose but I've never used it with an external drive so don't know whether it sees them from the boot disk.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the best place to buy a hard drive from online, as I often buy over the counter now - but I expect the usual suspects such as aria.co.uk, ebuyer.co.uk and overclockers.co.uk are good choices.

You should be able to restore the image (assuming you used a tool such as Acronis), but you'll need to do this via the rescue disk software that the software can create. Which tool did you use to do a full backup?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159691

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...+Hitachi+Deskstar+SATA2+16MB+?productId=24793

Best I could find today. E-Buyer do free postage on orders over £50 so you might want to look at buying a bigger drive. This is the one I would go for it is Seagates latest model with a 16 MB cache. Fast and quiet and reliable in my opinion.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/158860

Add a little something else to the order and you have a good buy.

Have you actually tested your hdd ??

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I'm not sure on the best place to buy a hard drive from online, as I often buy over the counter now - but I expect the usual suspects such as aria.co.uk, ebuyer.co.uk and overclockers.co.uk are good choices.

You should be able to restore the image (assuming you used a tool such as Acronis), but you'll need to do this via the rescue disk software that the software can create. Which tool did you use to do a full backup?

Hello Ian.
To create the image of the internal h/d I used "Seagates" Agronis which I down loaded from "Seagates" own site.
I presume that when I get a new h/d and put it into the compter,do I then plug my stand alone h/d into the USB hub and transfer the image on the stand alone h/d over to the new internal h/d,is it that simple?
Sorry to ask so many questions but this is all new to me.
historian :confused:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
historian said:
Hello Ian.
To create the image of the internal h/d I used "Seagates" Agronis which I down loaded from "Seagates" own site.
I presume that when I get a new h/d and put it into the compter,do I then plug my stand alone h/d into the USB hub and transfer the image on the stand alone h/d over to the new internal h/d,is it that simple?

I hope you don't mind me replying instead of Ian :)

But yes, basically, that's it, what you said.

I'm presuming Seagate drive owners are privvy to a free copy of Acronis - correct?

But I will point you again to post # 21 where I pointed out that you need to create bootable media within Acronis and then also check Acronis can see your external drive.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
historian said:
Hello Ian.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard

At the bottom of the page see the link for DISK WIZARD that is what you need.

See this above the Disk Wizard link,

Learn more about DiscWizard

That takes you to a pdf file that you can download(highly recomended) or view.

Pay particular attention to Chapters 7 and 8. If you have both drives plugged into your pc then you can copy straight across. Make sure that the new drive has been set up and is usable before trying to transfer.
Read the manual fully before starting. At least the parts that you will need.
Half an hours reading may save hours and hours of heartache.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard

At the bottom of the page see the link for DISK WIZARD that is what you need.

See this above the Disk Wizard link,

Learn more about DiscWizard

That takes you to a pdf file that you can download(highly recomended) or view.

Pay particular attention to Chapters 7 and 8. If you have both drives plugged into your pc then you can copy straight across. Make sure that the new drive has been set up and is usable before trying to transfer.
Read the manual fully before starting. At least the parts that you will need.
Half an hours reading may save hours and hours of heartache.

happywave.gif

Hi Abarberian.
Thanks for your reply,sorry to have kept you waiting.

I have bought a new H/D,came the other day.Its a "Seagate Baracuda"
Among the things that worry me,I am a worrier,is the need to wear a ground wire and attach it to the computers caseing,I need to look for one of those.
Also my next worry is where do I get the courage to start?
I shall let you know how things go,assuming the computer works there after!!
historian :(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You don't need an anti-static strap to change a hard drive. Just touch a known earthed point - radiator pipe (bare metal) or similar and you'll be ok.

Take both sides of the computer case off.

Identify faulty drive.

Pull both cables (power & data) from rear of drive.

Remove two screws from each side of drive and slide drive out.

Reverse the procedure with the new drive.

If it's a PATA (IDE) drive make a note of the jumper position at the rear of the old drive and make sure your new drive has the jumper in the same position.

Reaction score
Hi Floppybootstomp.

I think one trouble I`m going to meet, when I get around to installing my new H/D,is the lack of SP2. Seagates manual states that the O.S windows XP needs SP2. Some one very kindly sent me a copy of said SP2 but I never did install it. The reason being that I tried to down load it via a disk from a magazine,when it first came out. But it crashed my computer,I had to get in touch with Microsoft to get me back up and running. It was,needless to say,a terrible time in my computing life.
historian. :confused:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3091856.php

Do as Flops says or take a look here for an anti-static solution.

Can you not just go straight with XP SP3 and miss out SP 2 ? I don't actually see what difference it makes as to what OS you put on the disk, are you sure you read the info right ?

Hardest part of the entire procedure is getting the sides of the case as they can be a sod sometimes.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
historian said:
Hi Abarberian.
Among the things that worry me,I am a worrier,is the need to wear a wire historian :(

I would be very wary of anyone that would be wearing a wire LOL
:lol: Zzzzz

Last edited:
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:

Can you not just go straight with XP SP3 and miss out SP 2 ? I don't actually see what difference it makes as to what OS you put on the disk, are you sure you read the info right ?

Hardest part of the entire procedure is getting the sides of the case as they can be a sod sometimes.

happywave.gif
Hello Abarbarian.
Thanks for your reply.
In Seagates manual it only mentions SP2. I don`t know if the manual is old,that is before SP3 came out,but like you I can`t see the difference between the two. But like I explained to flops` I tried to down load SP2 when it came out a few years ago and it crashed my computer,had to call out Microsoft for help.I didn`t know at the time but I should have created a restor point. I`ll do that before I down load SP3,just in case!
One thought has crossed my mind. When I bought this computer it was sold,from Mesh, as "Matrix M64 2800+" I`ve seen computers advertised as 64 or 32,but I don`t know what that means.Could "64" have an effect on down loads??

Reaction score
The main differences between 32 and 64bit are 64bit can handel more memory where as 32 bit can normally only handel 3.5gb in some cases it will work with 4gb ram. The other differences are if you have a 64bit proccessor than 32but wont use it as well as 64bit will.

As for XP, if you are using xp home then there is only one verison of this and that is 32bit, as for xp pro there are 2 verisons of this 32bit and 64bit. Just make sure that you download the correct verison either x86 bit or 64bit.

Hope this helps

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:

happywave.gif

Hi Abarbarian.
I apologise for the delay in replying.
I tried to down load SP2 to my computer,yesterday, via Microsofts web site.All was going well,I thought.It took over 3 hours to down load. At the end of it a window came up to tell me that the down load was successful,a further window appeard to tell me to restart my computer to "compleat instalation" This I did. It was at this point that my troubles started. The screen went black,a b/w text screen came up with something like "This computer is failing to respond because of a power cut or a new application has been added"ect,ect. At the bottom of the screen was a count down to start the computer normally or select 3 other options.I let it count down to start normally.It seemed to start up O.K; but then when back to the b/w screen. This time around I selected another option I went for "SAFE MODE" This left me with a black screen with the words safe mode in each corner. Before I started all this nonsense I took the precaution to make a restore point. A window came up asking if I wanted to go back to a restore point which I did.I clicked on it and,eventually,it took me back from whence I started. So I still haven`t got SP2! It`s now the third time I`ve tried to down load this program and every time the same event happens. My question is: Is there something wrong with the computer,or am I doing something wrong,but I can only follow on screen instructions. Can anyone tell me why I can`t down load it??
Sorry about the long missive,trust you were not bored.
Many thanks.
historian

Reaction score
I get the following error message when trying to open a word document:

Word experienced an error trying to open the file:
Try these suggestions:

* Check the file permissions for the document or drive
* Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space
* Open the file with Text Recovery converter.

i have tried all these and still i cannot find a solution, please help.
i have been struggling for some days now.

and my other worry is on some pc the same files does open, but
in most PCs it doesn't.

i've tried open office program and at least it opened from it, what could be the couse and what needs to be done to sort this out.

Please help

Reaction score
VusiS said:

Word experienced an error trying to open the file:
Try these suggestions:

* Check the file permissions for the document or drive
* Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space
* Open the file with Text Recovery converter.

i have tried all these and still i cannot find a solution, please help.
i have been struggling for some days now.

and my other worry is on some pc the same files does open, but
in most PCs it doesn't.

i've tried open office program and at least it opened from it, what could be the couse and what needs to be done to sort this out.

Please help

Hi VuisiS
I'd say its best to start your own thread in the right section, as this thread is about faulty hard drives, not Word..So yours is totally unrelated to this...:thumb:

Reaction score
VusiS said:
Thanks Mad, my problem is i dont know how it's done, i wanted to

Ok quick lesson..

Look at top of age where you can see " Home, Reviews,Articles,Forums"..Hover over Forums and you'll see Forums in a drop down menu..Goto "Main Index"and click it..Another page will open, once you are there scroll down to software and start a new thread under General Software...:thumb:

Ask a Question