Hard Drive Clicking

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

With regard to hard drive clicking:
I am now reaching the end of my tether in my saga of trying to install SP2 or SP3. I`ve tried twice more in my attempt to install SP2 and once SP3. and all attemps have failed. No way can I get these programs to install. Every thing seems to be O.K. as they install. At the end of the installation the computer shuts down and restarts, goes on for a few seconds then a screen comes up to tell me that an error has occured. There is a count down,which at the end of it the computer starts over again,and again,and again.The only thing I can do is go into safe mode and then into restore point,which I created before I started to install.But of course when I go back to that point it`s as if I never started.Everyone on this forum has been very kind in giving me advice etc and I thank them very much,but I still have the problem. Why oh! why can`t I get this program to install. I`m using XPHome with SP1------I wont SP2!!!
historian

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Why not just do a fresh install on your new hard drive then.
nod.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The hard drive I swapped my primary one over to has now failed... grrrrrrrrr! Typing this from my laptop, and I'll be straight off to Aria tomorrow to get a new drive. I moved across another drive to my primary (about 2 years old), but thankfully I've got backups of everything! :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks folks, I'll check these out when I go visit them :D

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Why not just do a fresh install on your new hard drive then.
nod.gif

Hello Abarbarian.

Thankyou for your suggestion.

This is a very radical suggestion I feel. I`ve never done this before.
Now for the questions.
Do I use the disk I have here with XPHome on it.Then try and install SP2. Then move over,from my external H/D,the image I created with all the programs from the old internal H/D??
The only trouble I can see, is what happens if SP2 fails to install on my new internal H/D. I think if that happens I`ve a good mind to dump this computer and get a new one.Because believe me I`m really fed up.
historian

Reaction score
historian said:
Hello Abarbarian.

Thankyou for your suggestion.

This is a very radical suggestion I feel. I`ve never done this before.
Now for the questions.
Do I use the disk I have here with XPHome on it.Then try and install SP2. Then move over,from my external H/D,the image I created with all the programs from the old internal H/D??
The only trouble I can see, is what happens if SP2 fails to install on my new internal H/D. I think if that happens I`ve a good mind to dump this computer and get a new one.Because believe me I`m really fed up.
historian

What programs are you wanting to transfer..? Do you not have the disks or were they download programs...?As far as I can remeber you can use the image you saved once you have done a fresh install..I might be wrong though..

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
What programs are you wanting to transfer..? Do you not have the disks or were they download programs...?As far as I can remeber you can use the image you saved once you have done a fresh install..I might be wrong though..

Hello Madxgraphics.

I have all the disks that came with the computer. The image that I have created will surely have them all on it----no?
I shall have to give it serious thought.
historian

Reaction score
historian said:
Hello Madxgraphics.

I have all the disks that came with the computer. The image that I have created will surely have them all on it----no?
I shall have to give it serious thought.
historian

OK cool, if you have all the disks, then do a fresh install and load everything fro the disks you HAVE. fORGET THYE IMAGE YOU HAVE...

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
OK cool, if you have all the disks, then do a fresh install and load everything fro the disks you HAVE. fORGET THYE IMAGE YOU HAVE...

Hello Madxgraphics.

The reason that,when and if,I put in my new H/D all the e-mail settings both for my AOL and of my daughters Yahoo e-mails,will be on that Acronis image.
Now for another question.This new H/D of mine is of 500gb.I know that that is not the final amount as the computer keeps some of it for it self. Is it better that it be split up into,say three partitions?
historian :confused:

Reaction score
I`ve at last taken my courage in both hands and taken out my old hard drive and relpaced it with my new one. All that part went smoothly. The other part,that of getting the computer to see my new H/D wasn`t smooth at all. In fact it never got anywhere. I inserted the "Acronis" Media disc I had down loaded,but that came up,after a time,with "E000101F4 Seagate DiscWizard has not found a hard disc" And that was it nothing more.

I went into "BIOS" and got to the boot section. It showed the floppy drive and the CD drive but no H/D. So how do I get the computer to see my hard drive? There is no where in "BIOS" to insert a hard disc name or number or what ever.
historian

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
It is always best to split up a hdd into several partitions, IMHO, I always do so and have my "C" partition about 50 to 60 GB.

Give us full details of your new hdd.

Is it a SATA hdd ?

Is it SATA 2 ?

What is your mtherboard ?

Is it capable of handling SATA 2 or is it only able to handle SATA 1 ?

Give us this info as I feel this may be where your problem lies.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
It is always best to split up a hdd into several partitions, IMHO, I always do so and have my "C" partition about 50 to 60 GB.

Give us full details of your new hdd.

Is it a SATA hdd ?

Is it SATA 2 ?

What is your mtherboard ?

Is it capable of handling SATA 2 or is it only able to handle SATA 1 ?

Give us this info as I feel this may be where your problem lies.

happywave.gif

Hello Abarbarian.
Thanks for your reply.
I`ve checked on the mother board and it`s a:
ASUSTeK
model: K8V-MX
version: Rev 1.05
I could not see any hardrives mentioned that I can see,what do I look for.
The new H/DD is a Barracuda and it`s a SATA2 16mb.
The one in the computer,at the moment, is a SCSI ATA
Does this help?
Many thanks
historian
P.S On taking off the side of the computer I can see two connections for ATA drives,one for the one I have in the computer and a spare one.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'm almost sure that your mobo only has SATA 1 support and your new drive is a SATA 2 .

Download this PDF file,

www.wdc.com/en/library/eide/2579-001037.pdf

On page one, look at Figure 2, highlighted item 4.

This will show you where to put the jumper you need to make your new drive work in SATA 1 mode.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
I'm almost sure that your mobo only has SATA 1 support and your new drive is a SATA 2 .

Download this PDF file,

www.wdc.com/en/library/eide/2579-001037.pdf

On page one, look at Figure 2, highlighted item 4.

This will show you where to put the jumper you need to make your new drive work in SATA 1 mode.

happywave.gif

Hello Abarbarian.
Thanks for your reply.
I`ve taken a look at that PDF site.
As far as I can see, on my new H/DD, there are no jumper pins,at least not like the ones on the PDF site. On my H/DD next to the data cable there is a small connector of four pins in a row and that is it.
historian

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Does your Seagate drive not have a sticker on it giving you instructions ? Mine does.
happywave.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Does your Seagate drive not have a sticker on it giving you instructions ? Mine does.
happywave.gif

Hello Abarbarian.
It does indeed have a label with vague instructions about using the four screws to secure the H/DD. Then it goes on to talk about the BIOS.Goes on to say about preparing the H/DD within the O.S,etc,etc. But no mention of jumpers.
Do you think Seagates web site could help?
historian

Ask a Question