Hanging Hourglass Problem

X

xfox

Hello........Lately the little hourglass keeps flashing on and off at the cursor, at intervals of just seconds which cause momentary lag at each flicker. It is so annoying, both for the lag aspect and the visual aspect is so distracting. I've tried everything I can think of to fix this. I've run my 3 antispy ware programs (AdAware, Spybot, and MS beta version from Giant). No problem with spyware.
Perhaps it's a java problem. I use Sun's Java for some on line games and use MS virtual machine java for other games. I also emptied the SunJava cache to no avail. I think this happened once before but I didn't save the answer. Someone here in the newsgroup told me to empty some folder?
Oh yes, my cache and cookies are cleaned everyday with TracksEraserPro so it's not that I don't think.
Running WinXPHome......256 ram.....P3 750.
If someone can help me with this I will forever in your debt and promise this time to write down the fix and Save It!
Thanks very much!

P

Peter

It's most likely a program that periodically polls for something.. email for example. Think back, do you have anything set to auto-update or auto-scan?
See if you can spot it in Task Manager (Ctrl-Atl-Delete) processes.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Home SP2
P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 1.0gb RAM, 160gb HD
Hello........Lately the little hourglass keeps flashing on and off at the cursor, at intervals of just seconds which cause momentary lag at each flicker. It is so annoying, both for the lag aspect and the visual aspect is so distracting. I've tried everything I can think of to fix this. I've run my 3 antispy ware programs (AdAware, Spybot, and MS beta version from Giant). No problem with spyware.
Perhaps it's a java problem. I use Sun's Java for some on line games and use MS virtual machine java for other games. I also emptied the SunJava cache to no avail. I think this happened once before but I didn't save the answer. Someone here in the newsgroup told me to empty some folder?
Oh yes, my cache and cookies are cleaned everyday with TracksEraserPro so it's not that I don't think.
If someone can help me with this I will forever in your debt and promise this time to write down the fix and Save It!
Thanks very much!

X

xfox

Thanks.......I took your advice and checked the Task Manager. Lots of stuff there, of which some I know I shouldn't touch and other's not a clue. BUT.....there was one program running........what you may ask?...
MS.......beta antisypware.....by Giant. I disabled it so that it doesn't run (AdAware, I hate to say, picks up stuff that MS ever gets) and thankfully, and thank you, I don't have that hanging hourglass anymore.
Many thanks again. :)
It's most likely a program that periodically polls for something.. email for example. Think back, do you have anything set to auto-update or auto-scan?
See if you can spot it in Task Manager (Ctrl-Atl-Delete) processes.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Home SP2
P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 1.0gb RAM, 160gb HD
Thanks very much!

G

I am also having the "Hanging Hourglass Problem" and yes it is really
annoying and distracting. I also get 'object errors" when trying use the help
and support, not in all the modules, but in a lot of them, for example the
stuff i would really need "my comptuer info." and diagnostic tools.
I have checked task manager and found that three process seem to flash back
and forth GPVSvr.exe csrss.exe and lsass,exe. Don't know if they are
supposed to or not and wondering what I should try next.
As for the Help Issues I did run SFC / scannow, but I have OEM XP sp2 so I
don't have any disks to replace the files that are required for the dll cache
to be fixed,
and I don't have a clue what the heck to do. Sony told me to just reinstall
all the original software, sure after I spent all this time installing my
stuff. I did try the restore to the last good point, but that did not fix the
problem. I just bought this machine and let me tell you I'm annoyed about
this OEM stuff. I should have known. Any suggestions? I also downloaded and
tried to run FixWinXPHelp application that was suggested in another post, but
then I got a runtime error -'2147221231 (80040111) Automation error Class
Factory cannot supply requested class. You know, I don't mind having to try
to find out problems, but coming up against this original disk thing is
really awful. I had the same problem on my old machine. I have paid for so
many windows programs over the years, that it's sickening to keep running
into this. Microsoft should find a work around for their licensing issues and
not take it out on loyal - legal - customers.

Ask a Question