Graphics card issue

Reaction score
earlier this week my power supply went out, before that everything was running normally and i could play my games, now that i have my new supply in( and yes everything is connected) i cant run my games and i keep getting this error ---VPU Recover has reset your graphic accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphic driver commands. VPU Recover was unable to recover from a hardware deadlock and has switched to software rendering. To restore hardware rendering you must restart your computer. I restart my computer, it seems fine until i run my game then the vpu error comes up and it goes back to software renduring. im wondering if the chip has gone bad or what i need to do. I have the most recent drivers, im running ati radion 9500.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
This error message is just the diagnosis of a long list of possible problems, showing that your vga card has had problems and it has been restarted. Shame really, 'cos the MS BSOD is more informative.

As you have recently changed your PSU is it strong enough to run the card & the rest of the system?

What is the PSU and can you give us a few more details on the spec of your system.

:thumb:

Reaction score
Might be worth uninstalling the gfx card using driver cleaner (can't remember where I got it from) and then reinstall card from scratch.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
You can turn VPU recover off in the ATI control panel, maybe if you turn it off you will get a BSOD instead which can tell you a little more.

Reaction score
re:

my last power supply had a max output at 250 watts, this one does 350,, also on each reboot the vpu recover keeps reseting the thing, should i try a new card?

i am running Windows xp,service pack 2
512 megs of ram
1.8 ghz pentium 4
all up to date drivers
200 gb hard drive

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
You can turn VPU recover off in the ATI control panel, maybe if you turn it off you will get a BSOD instead which can tell you a little more.
Try it ... and let us know what the BSOD says exactly.

:thumb:

Ask a Question