Dying 9800pro...? :(

Reaction score
Hey.

Well i think my 9800pro may well be on it's way out. Just want to know what you all thing.

1) Telling me (and beeping at startup) that it had no power going to it. Checked and power was fine. Wigled it, same problem. Wiggled the cable again and it decides to work.

2) Artefacting in windows increasingly often at speeds that formerly it would take fine.

3) I refit Arctic Cooler and used Arctic Silver 3. I try to bench on stock speeds and every time at some point through the sequence i get the VPU Recover and it goes into software rendering mode. Very VERY strange.

Do you all think it could be dying? At the end of it's life... Ready to replace?

Sad if it is, served me well :(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It could be... I'm guessing it is overclocking related though. Does it work in games at standard speeds at all?

The no power problem is particularly strange!

Reaction score
It could well be Overclocking related, as it has the R350 (9800pro) core as opposed to the R360 (9800XT) core like Reef has.

I will give it some flight sim in a bit, but neither 3DMark2001SE OR 3DMark2003 work at stock speeds.

Yeah, the no power one is intriguing. Powered off Saturday morning, all fine. Went to Kent. Came back at 2pm today, turned on...

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP YOU HAVE NO POWER TO YOUR 9800PRO etc etc...

I thought the cooler may have come loose, so i refitted it, and removed part of the warm air ducting plastic that looked like it was stopping the cooler from being seated properly as it was pressed up against a little silver electronic doofer.

And it has Arctic Cooling so i dont see what the problem could be - i don't think it is heat?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
This is a long shot, but still worht trying. Try setting your AGP aperture to 128, ya never know it could work.

If it doesnt, its a sad day :(.

Reaction score
Right.

I played flight sim for half an hour on stock speeds, then benchmarked 5 times in a row with no problems at all. It's now running fine, overclocked. No probs.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: I don't get it.

Kye

Reaction score
I like pc's that do random things that fathom us like that. it gives the pc character and personality.

maybe it is a BIO's or software related?

Reaction score
haha thats a new way of spelling BIOS!

I don't know, my computer has problems only after its not been on for more than 24 hours strangely enough.

Ask a Question