Graphics Card Buying?

Reaction score
Hi, wondering if anyone can help. Im looking to buy a new graphics card I currently have a GeForce 6150 LE which is built into the motherboard (does that make sense?) Anyway I read that the fact its built in means it runs slower, so my question is for around £60-£80 what can I get that will improve on this quite a bit so I can play decent games at decent resolutions also a HDMI/DVI slot would be nice. Would I be better keeping my old graphics card in when I get a new one or disabiling/removing it? Thanks in advance

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Need to know full specs before commenting/recommending.

But intuition says - Probably not.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If you need some help finding out about your pc read this thread and follow the link to SIW .

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3048995.php

user.gif

Reaction score
Ok perhaps a bit of overkill here but nontheless:
Motherboard:
Property Value
Manufacturer ASUSTek Computer INC.
Model NODUSM3
Version 1.05
Serial Number MS1C6BS06100388

Chipset Vendor Nvidia Corp
Chipset Model C51 PCI Express Bridge
South Bridge MCP51 LPC Bridge

CPU AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Cpu Socket Socket AM2 [Socket AM2 ]
Processor Upgrade
Max CPU Speed 3700 MHz

System Slots 4 PCI

Memory Summary
Location System board or motherboard
Maximum Capacity 4096 MBytes
Memory Slots 4
Error Correction None
Use System memory
Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MBytes
-------------------------
180gb Hard Drive
1gb RAM

Hmmm is that enough. I was struggling to pick out what was important and what wasnt

Reaction score
Cool, from what I can tell it looks good, this would fit work alongside my current card? I think I may well purchase this if it is indeed a marked improvement on what I have right now. I tried playing half life 2 episode 1 last night at 1024x768 but it could hardly handle it. I have a 19" phillips crt monitor...by the way.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Yea, it'll give a good boost
but what is your PSU wattage?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
only way to do that is to take the side off your case and see what it says on the side of it

Reaction score
Anyone bored yet? :)

Ok so I opened it but couldnt see anything (it is a bit dark) however this site apparently tells you everything. But Im not sure exactly which one is mine:

http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

Im thinking of buying the graphics card soon so is the wattage going to effect which card I should/shouldnt buy?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I recon this is your mobo and it seems t be a micro-atx and if its in a small case you may not be able to get a psu powerful enough to run the 1950 card . That card needs a very good 450w or higher psu so I believe . You may think about a bigger case if your going to get the 1950 card as its pretty big and will not fit in a small case . Your mobo has on-board graphics , that is they are part of the mobo not a plug in graphics card . It looks like your mobo will accept a faster cpu so swapping to a bigger case and getting the 1950 is not a bad option as you can upgrade the cpu at a later date . With AMD prices coming down that may be a good move .

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...c=en&product=466107&lang=en&docname=c00757531

user.gif

Reaction score
Cheers, thanks alot for your help so far. The case is pretty small. One more question then. Is there another option as in. Perhaps If I decide I can now spend say £100-120 on a graphics card opposed to buying/fitting a new case/cpu. If however the combined money would be less to buy a case and cpu and its relatively easy to fit it all Im happy to go with the 1950 and a better cpu. 'Second' question is what cpu? :)

Ask a Question