Seeking Graphics Card advice

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi guys. I wonder if any of you kind souls could help please?

My graphics card conked-out last night. It Was 3+ years old. Anyway, I need to replace it, but am not overly confident about obtaining something that is going to fit! Before anyone tells me to "take out the old one and go compare it to others..." I'm pretty sure I will need to purchase from the interwebs, because choices are limited locally.

Anyway, the current card is: Gainward GeForce® GTX 670 2GB, PCI-Express 3.0 x 16, HDMI, Dual DVI, DisplayPort, 6-pin*2 (I think it might be this one?)

The mobo is: Gigabyte Z77-DS3H

Do you suppose it would be fairly safe to purchase this as a replacement? Asus NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti ?

Thank you in advance for any advice / guidance you might be able to offer. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Both your links just go straight to a selection page, but d not show the specific cards

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
GIGABYTE 7 series motherboards take advantage of the latest connectivity and expansion bus technologies available on the Intel platform. The 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processor platform debuts the new PCI Express gen. 3.0 expansion bus, allowing users to take advantage of the next generation, high-bandwidth discrete graphics card solutions.
* PCIE Gen.3 is dependent on CPU and expansion card compatibility.

You should have no problems with your choice.

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
You should have no problems with your choice.
Thank you - I'm crossing fingers. It should be here sometime tomorrow morning, so hoping to be properly up-and-running a bit later... providing I don't encounter any hitches. This is me, after all... :blush:

Meanwhile... big withdrawal symptoms, because I cannot play. :eek:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
What happened to it TC?
I was playing GW2 and chatting on TS3, when my monitor suddenly went blank. I also lost TS3 connection, the PC "faltered" slightly, but did not shut down.

I could see there was no signal coming through the HDMI, so I tried using an old DVI lead... which worked... but the picture quality was really not good on my 24in monitor, no matter how much I tweaked the resolution. So I decided to try the HDMI again - using a different socket on the rear of my PC. It worked!

(You are probably getting ahead of me by now, and guessed that I had switched to the socket leading from the mobo.) As the display resolution looked normal again, I tried to re-open my game. It threw up an error message that I needed DirectX 9... (a bit of a clue, because normally DirectX 11 is running.)

By this time, I'd been able to re-establish my TS3 connection, and team mates suggested that I should try updating the NVIDIA driver. However, that failed because "no NVIDiA graphics products could be found."

The "falter" had probably been due to the graphics card failing - it had always been very noisy during gaming sessions. Anyway, just to be certain, I ran a few more system checks then, including SIW, Belarc Advisor, (neither of which found the NVIDIA graphics card, only the "Standard VGA Graphics Adaptor") and the system's own "health check thingy" which came back with a graphics score of ......... 1 lol.

I guess 3 years wasn't too bad for a very whiney card. The new one should be delivered between 11 and 12 noon today (good old DPD) so planning to install it this afternoon. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
TC, I've I were you I'd seriously consider returning that card and getting a 770. Its only about £30-40 more but the performance jump is well worth the extra. :)
Thanks V_R, advice is always very welcome. Tbh, though, a new rig is on the horizon which was actually to have been purchased last Christmas, (but had to be put off for reasons of illness.) So the plan is to get a really decent "bells and whistles" card installed in the new one. Hopefully, the 750 will tide-me-over for the next few weeks or so. :nod:

Reaction score
Oh dear not good. If you are planning on throwing it in the bin. I'd gladly take it off your hands to tinker with (parts and so on?)

Reaction score
TC, Amazon Black Tuesday is coming soon and the bargins could be could then for a new PC?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I am in trouble. I have installed the new card - which fitted just fine. The only thing was, it had only one six-pin connector, whereas the old one had two. Anyway, I connected-up one of them, thinking that would be ok.

I have inserted the HDMI cable, just as before

Trying to boot up, I just have a black screen with a flashing white "dash" top left hand corner of it.

I have tried D-sub setting - still nothing.

There is a green light working on the card, so it is receiving power.

I have tried popping in the CD which came with the new card, but that is obviously not even being accessed right now.

Any suggestions please guys..?

Reaction score
Only one connector on card only means its power requirements are less than the other card TC

I'd be trying the new card and old in a different PC?
Also maybe look into checking your PSU?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
The PSU is 750W... The fans and monitor and various lights (which show mobo activity and the card itself) are "running" but no display.

I have just tried plugging the HDMI back into the Mobo... but there is no display on that now either, whereas prior to installing the new card, it was at least letting me surf, etc.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Does the old card work if you reinstall it?

If so, try running DDU and remove all traces of the driver then swap cards.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Does the old card work if you reinstall it?
No. I have just swapped them over again, and the card is completely dead - no green light, no signal.

I also tried using the Mobo HDMI port again, (which was fine before, whith a dead card) but that still won't work either. The screen lights for a brief moment, to tell me "HDMI no signal."

Ask a Question