Gericom 1580xl Touchpad

Reaction score
I bought the Gericom Laptop from Aldi last month and have been very impressed, until the touchpad stopped working. Has anyone had a similar problem and any suggestions to how I can get it working again?

Thanks for any help you can give

jim

Reaction score
You need to download the file from the below link and make a bootable
CD using NERO 6. This is because the keyboard BIOS needs to be updated.

http://download.gericom.com/NOTEBOOK/EGO-MS1003/BIOS/ - EGO.KB.BIOS.IMG

You will need WinImage to extract these files.

Follow the on screen instructions from the boot CD and you'll have your
touchpad back.

Reaction score
I TOO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY TOUCHPAD,I HAVE EXTRACTED THE NEW BIOS FILES USING WINIMAGE AND USING NERO 6 BUT CANNOT GET THEM ONTO THE BOOT DISK AS IT IS NOT AN IMAGE FILE ANYMORE BUT LOTS OF DOS COMMANDS,ANYHELP WOULD BE GREAT.

Reaction score
Hiya Folks,

I also had this problem and after trawling around the net found the answer (at least for me) on a german forum which I translated with babelfish. It gave the usual surreal translation and luckily I knew that Akku meant battery. Basically it seemed to say something about switching off and removing the battery. So this is what I did.
Switched off laptop.
Removed battery.
Went for a bath (optional!).- not sure how long to leave it but I took 30 mins!
Switched on without battery.
Eh voila the touchpad was back.
Put the battery back in.

Give that a try and good luck!

Reaction score
Gericom Radion 9700

Thank you mr german translator.

I too have a gericom radeon 9700 1580xl+ laptop form aldi £999.00 and just like you my touchpad stopped working. All the usual check revealed no problems. The idea of upgrading the bios etc seemed a little daunting. I found your message about the battery and tried it. I opted for a wash instead of a bath but after 5 minutes powered up without the battery and it worked. The touchpad was back. I switched off re-inserted the battery and powered up on battery and everything was back to normal. Many thanks.

Reaction score
once win image has extracted these files from EGO.KB.BIOS.IMG you just put them in their own folder then use Nero 6 to make a boot disk using them. then hey presto fixing touchpad is easy. though is scary when message says if bios update goes wrong you loose your waranty! bit harsh when you are doing gericom a favour by fixing it yourself rather than they having to collect and fix themselves.

gericom should have included a boot disk when they sold them to us. especially second time around knowing that is was such a common fault.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I too have had problems with a Gericom Ego from Aldi - the low battery warning went berserk. But the answer does seem to be as above - shut it down, take out the battery, wait several minutes, put it back then all's ok!

Anyone lnow where one can get a spare battery for a Gericom Ego??

Reaction score
Thanks

River Rat said:
Hiya Folks,

I also had this problem and after trawling around the net found the answer (at least for me) on a german forum which I translated with babelfish. It gave the usual surreal translation and luckily I knew that Akku meant battery. Basically it seemed to say something about switching off and removing the battery. So this is what I did.
Switched off laptop.
Removed battery.
Went for a bath (optional!).- not sure how long to leave it but I took 30 mins!
Switched on without battery.
Eh voila the touchpad was back.
Put the battery back in.

Give that a try and good luck!

I have to thank you deeply.
My touchpad went a few months back and I tried everything from re-installing drivers and using goback

I saw you had written the solution on a website, after I had trawled thousands, and it actually did work.
It has been fine since.

Reaction score
I had similar problem. The touchpad on my Gericom notebook would not work at all. Just removed and re-inserted the battery as advised. Touchpad came back straight away! How does it work? Is it the position of the battery just under the touchpad? Incidentally where can you buy a new spare battery?
Thanks for the really clever advice re the touchpad mal-function!

Reaction score
Glad I could help.

Hi Folks,

I haven't been back to this thread for some time but it's good to see that the battery trick works for others as well.

As to how it works - I believe the battery out trick is doing what is known as a 'Hard' reset and causing the laptop to revert back to its original configuration - I may be wrong - but hey it works!

Chris.

Reaction score
I had the same problem with a Compaq laptop and this little trick worked like a charm! Thanks for a great tip!

Reaction score
I also have this laptop from Aldi, has anyone had any problems with the microphone input.? It was working fine untill I reformatted it about a month ago, and now nothing.... Any help would be gratefully recieved.... Cheers then...

-J

p.s. Ill try taking the battery out and putting it in again, (I know this makes no sense, but neither does doing so to get the touchpad to work!!!)

Reaction score
Touchpad Fix

Just a few notes on the Touchpad fix, Unlike a P.C. that has been disconnected from the Mains a laptop is never truely 'off', Disconnecting the battery (with no mains backup) is the only way to do that old 'IT Helpdesk' suggestion of - Turn it off and then back on again - properly. You don't need to take a bath, have a shower or even leave the room, Disconneting the battery for 5 mins should be enough. You don't need to power up with the battery disconnected, This could cause problems, some laptops won't work at all without a battery. Why does it work? The laptop has decided (for some reason) that the touchpad is not present, doing the above makes it look for it again.

Ask a Question