Aldi Laptop and the verdict is.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
As a now proud ower of the latest Aldi Laptop - Gericom EGO 1580XL( or is it a 1780XL...more of that later)

I've have read the posts from a previous thread "Aldi laptop any good?" with great interest and mixed feelings:(... :confused: ...:)

Flapjack's post was most informative and the links were a good tip.

I for one, am more than happy with mine. I'm no Laptop Ace but it looks in immacculate condition and works fine. The spec for is £799 is great value and the bundled software is the icing on the cake.

Not everybody seems to have had the same experience, and I was bit concerned to hear stories of DVD writers actually being ROMs. Refurbed equipment ect.

I had a small glitch with access the Internet with my ISP. There seemed to be a conflict. Wasn't too sure what the prob was so I phoned Gericom Helpdesk. I have to say they were below average. Got put on hold several times and passed to different people. As it happens it resolved itself :)

Another very small thing the Laptop is branded as a Gericom EGO 1580XL, but underneath mine its got a 1780XL sticker? Anybody got an explaination for that, cos I can't find any record of a 1780XL?

A bit concerned if something does go wrong, how good will the helpdesk be? Saying that Aldi have a good customer service and have been know to give you a full refund have a few months of use.

So, how hit and miss is this Laptop?

Am I just lucky or will things take a turn for the worse very soon?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
hi= me got 1 as well model 1003 ego seems to b ok so far so good try to keep u posted c ya

Reaction score
I picked one of these a few days ago and have been very impressed. I had some scratches on the protective film covering the outer case, but apart from that it looked like untouched. No issues so far.

btw, the makers of these laptops are MSI. This is an OEM version of MSI 510C laptop.

www.msi.com.tw for more info.

Last edited:
Reaction score
wizy said:
I picked one of these a few days ago and have been very impressed. I had some scratches on the protective film covering the outer case, but apart from that it looked like untouched. No issues so far.

btw, the makers of these laptops are MSI. This is an OEM version of MSI 510C laptop.

www.msi.com.tw for more info.
Yeh, my Laptop's top cover was covered in scratches. Thought bloody hell!! Then realised it was just the protective film...phew!!

Very impressed with it so far, hopefully it will remain so....

Thanks for the post.

Reaction score
why would you buy a laptop from Aldi?

it's not even as though it's cheap. buying a technical device from a non-technical shop is asking for trouble. i think your money would have been better spent on a well known brand like IBM/Dell/Toshiba etc.

but we'll see, good luck and let us know how you get on.

j

Reaction score
Techy said:
why would you buy a laptop from Aldi?

it's not even as though it's cheap. buying a technical device from a non-technical shop is asking for trouble. i think your money would have been better spent on a well known brand like IBM/Dell/Toshiba etc.

but we'll see, good luck and let us know how you get on.

j
I take your point, but Aldi have a proven track record of sell good quality electrical goods at very reasonable prices.

The Medion and Tevion brand is well recognised as delivering reliable quality equipment.

With regards to the Gericom laptop, this is a rebadged MSI Laptop. All the components are good quality and sourced from reliable manufacturers. I have yet to find a similar equipped Laptop for less than the price I paid of £799(see previous threads\posts for full spec). All my mates have commented on what a good deal it is.

Clearly a few people are going to disgruntled with their purchase due to faulty goods it happens. You gonna hear their voices cos they are pi$$ed off and rightly so!! If you are happy, you'll tend to say nowt, unless you asked.

If you go to Dell\PC World you can still by crap i.e getting fobbed off with some low grade Packard Bell Laptop\PC and pay over the odds.

Bottom line is you should try and do some research on any major purchase and get some feedback. I did and in the main its positive, and I'm very happy with my fairly top of the range Laptop with good software bundle and 2 years guarantee + free insurance cover all for £799.

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have had my Gericom EGO 1780XL approx 4 months now. Purchased from Aldi. Reason I bought was price for spec compared to other makes. Aldi customer srvice is better than most so I was buying with confidence...if thats possible. It had to go back because the dvd drive was intermittently faulty. It was turned round in 4 days by air(dhl). Overall i am impressed with the build quality and function of this laptop. I previously had a custom built XP2000/512 DDR/GF3ti and the 3D-mark of this laptop easily matches my old machine so it will play most games aswell and the wireless internet is spot on.

Reaction score
I got one the day it came out back in september last year, it is a great laptop, but has some bugs.
Watch out because there are lots of cases, happened to me, where the touchpad just stops working.
I was frantic reinstalled drives, switched of and on, wiped my system back a few days. Then on the net I found a solution.
Take the battery out
Plug laptop into mains and turn it on
The touch pad now works
You can shut it down and re-insert the battery
Everything is fine

Reaction score
hi..all,, yes me got 1 too..still going good (touch wood) using speed step to run cpu at full.. on battery ,,,msi site looks like this laptop.. ya ..all

Reaction score
In reply to Techy - I would never buy a laptop from Toshiba - I spent £650 on a fairly top spec laptop from Toshiba and it didn't even last 21 months - I took it to a local repair shop and he told me not to buy from Toshiba (they may be good at making TV's but they don't know what they're doing when it comes to laptops and apparently I was lucky to get 21 months out of it!!!) so it doesn't always pay to go to a well known brand. All the electrical goods that we have ever bought from Aldi have been good quality and lasted well.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
lynne72 said:
In reply to Techy - I would never buy a laptop from Toshiba - I spent £650 on a fairly top spec laptop from Toshiba and it didn't even last 21 months - I took it to a local repair shop and he told me not to buy from Toshiba (they may be good at making TV's but they don't know what they're doing when it comes to laptops and apparently I was lucky to get 21 months out of it!!!) so it doesn't always pay to go to a well known brand. All the electrical goods that we have ever bought from Aldi have been good quality and lasted well.

Quite frankly, you're talking tosh.

Toshiba make, possibly, the best laptops.

Real experience gained from Bro-In-Law buying several hundred over the last few years for clients, he's a director of an oil exploration company with a huge turnover and supplies laptops for free to all clients to keep in touch.

He tells me Toshiba simply blow the competition away and hears Acer are possibly the worst.

Aldi don't even enter the equation.

This thread is 3 years old, what the hell would you be doing waking it up unless, maybe, you had a vested interest?

Possibly one more reply then this thread is locked.

If there's one thing gets my goat it's erroneous or falsified buying advice.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I agree - Toshiba are excellent laptops :nod:

As regards the original thread though - I bought an Gericom Ego from Aldi around the same time and its still going strong :thumb:

Reaction score
No vested interest - this forum was top of the list when I typed in tevion laptop in google - didn't even check the date just trying to let people know not to pay extra for Toshiba laptops that do not last as long as cheaper versions - Toshiba didn't offer a three year manufacturers warranty like Tevion do which just confirms the fact that they don't have as much confidence in their products lasting this length of time!!! All this from personal experience.

Reaction score
lynne72 you are sadly talking complete crap!!!
Your "personal experience" really can count for much, can it, as you seem to knock one of the best laptop makers!

May be locking this thread & stopping lynne72 (a 3 post wonder) from spouting anymore of her wise knowledge!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
lynne72 is entitled to give a personal opinion regardless of whether folks agree or not......however I am locking the thread anyway as its gone way past its sell-by date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question