    CPU: AMD3000+
    RAM: 1024MB PCI3200
    GRAPHICS: ATI Radeon 9800Pro

    BadHead, Feb 1, 2005

  2. BadHead

    niknik1971 Guest

    I think it is something to do with "Symantec Norton Internet security" and
    as such I would not think about disabling it.

    NIK

    niknik1971, Feb 1, 2005

  3. BadHead

    Vanguard Guest

    "BadHead" <> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > Simple question: What is the GEARSecurity service and is it safe to
    > disable it?

    So how much Googling did you do to research this process? In a search
    on "gearsecurity", the first article was:

    http://www.2-spyware.com/entry-gearsecurity.html

    I also found:

    http://www.2-spyware.com/entry-gearsecurity.html

    Gear makes the CD-RW burning software used by most CD burning software,
    like Ghost, DriveImage, Nero, Easy CD Creator, etc. You could ask in
    their forums what it is for. If you visit
    http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/drivers/index.cfm, you'll see
    "gearsec" mentioned.

    Vanguard, Feb 1, 2005
  4. BadHead

    OShah Guest

    "BadHead" <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > Simple question: What is the GEARSecurity service and is it safe to
    > disable it?
    >
    > Thanks"!

    Gear software (www.gearsoftware.com) is the programming library that Apple
    iTunes, Nero (and some other software) uses to write to CD recorders. If you
    don't mind losing CD-writing support in iTunes, then it should be safe to
    disable the GearSecurity service.

    If you set it to manual startup, then iTunes should be intelligent enough to
    start it by itself.

    oshah [shexec32]
    Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Error Reporting -> Choose Programs
    -> Do not report errors for these programs:

    Acrobat.exe
    waol.exe

    OShah, Feb 2, 2005