Gaming Beast! Would you buy this?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That is an incredible spec PC - I had a look at some benchmarks of the Threadripper 2990WX and it's approximately 330% faster than my current CPU (theoretically). The M.2. and RX Vega 64 put this in a different generation to what I'm running at the moment, so I'd love a PC like this :).

You are a man of many words @EvanDavis :lol::lol::lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Nope I can barely cope with doing one thing at a time. :cool:

As good as this processor is at being a uni-tasker in our benchmark tests, the Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX truly sings when you max out its multi-tasking capabilities.

While setting up the test bench to benchmark this CPU, we were gleefully unzipping a dozen folders at a time while installing a handful of applications simultaneously. Likewise, the processor happily exports some 30 odd images in Lightroom, while exporting a short video in Adobe Premiere and still delivers a solid 60fps as we play Overwatch on Epic settings.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx

An it ain't the best chip for gaming so that is another black mark against using it. :lol:

In terms of gaming, the Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX consistently matches the frame rates the Intel Core i9-7980XE puts out – this is also true compared to the older Ryzen Threadripper 1950X.

However, no one should really spend close to two-grand for this CPU just to game with it. Those looking for the highest frame rates in games would be better off picking up a mainstream processor like Intel Core i7-8700K and AMD Ryzen 7 2700X that outperform their respective HEDT cousins.

Reaction score
Ive been looking at the Ryzen 2700 for my next build
Infact I have the components in my wish list on Amazon..Can't afford non of it yet

The Case alone will cost me £150 :(

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
If you can't afford it. Don't buy it!

Never owned a credit card. Always saved for the things I want!

Yea that is good advice, if I save for it it'll just take a while before I get it. I want it right away so I have to weigh the pros and cons. I might just hold out until I have the money to buy it no problem :D

Ask a Question