Power supply adivice needed

Discussion in 'DIY PC' started by Ray, Feb 4, 2011.

  1. Ray

    Ray Guest

    I have a ASUS P5B-E mo, a GeForce 9500 GT video, 4 sata hard drives (with
    sata and Molex connectors) and 5 usb peripherals and need a power supply to
    run it. The GF9500GT video card wants 18 amps so I am thinking of getting
    one of these supplies:
    1. OXZ OCZ500MXSP
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016&Tpk=OCZ500MX
    SP
    2. CoolerMaster RS-460-PSAR-J3
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171046&cm_re=RS-460
    -PSAR-J3-_-17-171-046-_-Product
    3. CoolerMaster RS-500 PCAR-A3-US
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031&Tpk=rs-500pc
    ar-a3-us
    I like the idea of the modular wiring with the OCZ supply but was wondering
    if the relatively low -5v (.3a) is a possible problem. This one is more
    efficient too and has lots of connections but, of course, costs more.

    My question is: Which one is the best fit for my computer? Or if you think
    there are better choices with about the same cost, what would you suggest?

    Thanks,
    Ray

    Ray, Feb 4, 2011

  2. Ray

    GMAN Guest

    In article <iihuet$13s$>, "Ray" <> wrote:
    >I have a ASUS P5B-E mo, a GeForce 9500 GT video, 4 sata hard drives (with
    >sata and Molex connectors) and 5 usb peripherals and need a power supply to
    >run it. The GF9500GT video card wants 18 amps so I am thinking of getting
    >one of these supplies:
    >1. OXZ OCZ500MXSP
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016&Tpk=OCZ500MX
    >SP
    >2. CoolerMaster RS-460-PSAR-J3
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171046&cm_re=RS-460
    >-PSAR-J3-_-17-171-046-_-Product
    >3. CoolerMaster RS-500 PCAR-A3-US
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031&Tpk=rs-500pc
    >ar-a3-us
    >I like the idea of the modular wiring with the OCZ supply but was wondering
    >if the relatively low -5v (.3a) is a possible problem. This one is more
    >efficient too and has lots of connections but, of course, costs more.
    >
    >My question is: Which one is the best fit for my computer? Or if you think
    >there are better choices with about the same cost, what would you suggest?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Ray

    Your MB and every other item attached to that system does not require the -5V
    line. Thats just for older motherboards that required it. -5 is obsolete.

    GMAN, Feb 4, 2011

  3. Ray

    Paul Guest

    Ray wrote:
    > I have a ASUS P5B-E mo, a GeForce 9500 GT video, 4 sata hard drives (with
    > sata and Molex connectors) and 5 usb peripherals and need a power supply to
    > run it. The GF9500GT video card wants 18 amps so I am thinking of getting
    > one of these supplies:
    > 1. OXZ OCZ500MXSP
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016&Tpk=OCZ500MX
    > SP
    > 2. CoolerMaster RS-460-PSAR-J3
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171046&cm_re=RS-460
    > -PSAR-J3-_-17-171-046-_-Product
    > 3. CoolerMaster RS-500 PCAR-A3-US
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031&Tpk=rs-500pc
    > ar-a3-us
    > I like the idea of the modular wiring with the OCZ supply but was wondering
    > if the relatively low -5v (.3a) is a possible problem. This one is more
    > efficient too and has lots of connections but, of course, costs more.
    >
    > My question is: Which one is the best fit for my computer? Or if you think
    > there are better choices with about the same cost, what would you suggest?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ray

    The second one, the RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W $29.99 is a "LOL". Read
    the reviews on Newegg. Pop, smoke, OV, etc. Fun.

    The RS-500-PCAR-A3-US 500W #39.99, the reviews report a "bad ground"
    and some DOAs.

    The review here for the OCZ supply, says it is manufactured by "HighPower".
    There are still some DOA reports on Newegg. And one report of coil whine,
    and a single report like that, doesn't mean it's a common complaint.

    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/973

    HardwareSecrets also has a review for your 460W choice. Apparently
    (unbelievably ?), it's made by FSP.

    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Elite-Power-460-W-Power-Supply-Review/1005

    "Ouch! This unit has the same secondary as the 400 W model!"

    "at least it didn’t burn or explode"

    "Efficiency was above 80% when we pulled between 150 W and 300 W
    from this unit. Not bad."

    It also passed testing up to 393 watts.

    Seriously, keep shopping. Keep your eyes out for sales on end of line
    supplies. I got a couple nice Enermax supplies that way (which are normally
    too expensive here, to even think about).

    *******

    As for the 9500 GT, normally I'd get numbers from Xbitlabs, but I can't
    find the result I'm looking for.

    Second best, is a guesstimate here. These tend to be on the high side.
    And your card is rated 50W. If the card doesn't have an auxiliary PCI
    Express power connector, that's a decent upper limit (12V @ 4A from the
    motherboard slot power pins). When they need more 12V than that,
    then they stick the first PCI Express 2x3 on the end of the card.

    http://www.gpureview.com/GeForce-9500-GT-PCI-E-card-574.html

    You don't say what your processor is, so I can't say anything more.
    The RS-460-PSAR-J3 may indeed be enough to do the job (if you
    aren't the kind of person to let reports of DOA put you off).

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 4, 2011
  4. Ray

    Paul Guest

    GMAN wrote:
    > In article <iihuet$13s$>, "Ray" <> wrote:
    >> I have a ASUS P5B-E mo, a GeForce 9500 GT video, 4 sata hard drives (with
    >> sata and Molex connectors) and 5 usb peripherals and need a power supply to
    >> run it. The GF9500GT video card wants 18 amps so I am thinking of getting
    >> one of these supplies:
    >> 1. OXZ OCZ500MXSP
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016&Tpk=OCZ500MX
    >> SP
    >> 2. CoolerMaster RS-460-PSAR-J3
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171046&cm_re=RS-460
    >> -PSAR-J3-_-17-171-046-_-Product
    >> 3. CoolerMaster RS-500 PCAR-A3-US
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031&Tpk=rs-500pc
    >> ar-a3-us
    >> I like the idea of the modular wiring with the OCZ supply but was wondering
    >> if the relatively low -5v (.3a) is a possible problem. This one is more
    >> efficient too and has lots of connections but, of course, costs more.
    >>
    >> My question is: Which one is the best fit for my computer? Or if you think
    >> there are better choices with about the same cost, what would you suggest?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Ray
    >>

    > Your MB and every other item attached to that system does not require the -5V
    > line. Thats just for older motherboards that required it. -5 is obsolete.

    I don't see a -5V on the label here, only -12V @ 0.3A.

    http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/17-341-016-16.jpg

    And I bet you'd have trouble, finding a modern power supply
    design, that still has a -5V. Normally now, there is one
    blank pin on the 20 or 24 pin connector, which is where that
    -5V pin used to sit. If you see a main connector with a
    pin missing, that isn't a design defect.

    http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

    "The -5 volt line on pin 18 was made optional in ATX12V 1.3 (introduced in 2003)
    because -5 had been rarely used for years. Newer motherboards virtually never
    require -5 volts but many older motherboards do. Most newer power supplies don't
    provide -5 volts in which case the white wire is missing."

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Feb 5, 2011