..... FrontPage 2005

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28Crash_Gordon=AE\

Around 1982 I think.
Had it's own version of DOS.
A real powerhouse...used a cassette recorder for storage :)

| What about a Commodore 64 - that's 64KB of memory, quite a massive amount
| <vbg>
|
| A friend of mine lent me one for a few months some time ago. He was not
| computer literate and wanted to know what I thought of it.
|
| It cost $A800 and had no monitor or external devices.
| The whole device was contained in the keyboard, and plugged into a TV set
| as a monitor. Data could be read to/from cassette tapes via an interface.
|
| Ah, the good old days. I think it was the 80s :)
| --
| Cheers,
| Trevor L., WIP (Web Interested Person)
| Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au
|
| Cheryl D Wise wrote:
| > Does CP/M on a Kaypro luggable mean anything to you?
| >
| > --
| > Cheryl D. Wise
| > MS FrontPage MVP
| > http://mvp.wiserways.com
| > http://starttoweb.com
| > Online instructor led web design training in FrontPage,
| > Dreamweaver and more!
| > Next Session June 26th

| >> --
| >> Cheers,
| >> Trevor L., WIP (Web Interested Person) and Oldtimer (64 next
| >> birthday) Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au

| >> I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
| >> http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

Cheryl D Wise

That's the one.

My mother had one that I'd use for typing up papers, entry into Lotus 123
(for her, college job). When she'd take it on business trips several times
at the aiport someone would ask if she was seamstress taking her sewing
machine with her. (She was a CPA.)

--
Cheryl D. Wise
MS FrontPage MVP
http://mvp.wiserways.com
http://starttoweb.com
Online instructor led web design training in FrontPage,
Dreamweaver and more!
Next Session June 26th
message
Did it look like a portable sewing machine?

"Cheryl D Wise" <wiserways.wiserways.com> wrote in message
| Does CP/M on a Kaypro luggable mean anything to you?
|
| --
| Cheryl D. Wise
| MS FrontPage MVP
| http://mvp.wiserways.com
| http://starttoweb.com
| Online instructor led web design training in FrontPage,
| Dreamweaver and more!
| Next Session June 26th
|
| | > You people must be young <vbg>
| >
| > --
| > Cheers,
| > Trevor L., WIP (Web Interested Person) and Oldtimer (64 next birthday)
| > Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au
| >
| > Jon Spivey wrote:
| >> When did DOS 3 date from? I started in this game at DOS 6 and that
| >> seems old :)
| >>
| >> --
| >> Cheers,
| >> Jon
| >> Microsoft MVP
| >>
| >> "Rob Giordano (Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
| >> wrote in message | >> I still use DOS 3.0 for certain thangs...hey, it werks.

| > I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
| > http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

Cheryl D Wise

Sorry, we have enough 8" floppies around here already. My husband's PhD
thesis is on them.

--
Cheryl D. Wise
MS FrontPage MVP
http://mvp.wiserways.com
http://starttoweb.com
Online instructor led web design training in FrontPage,
Dreamweaver and more!
Next Session June 26th

message I'll trade you my copy of Visicalc on an 8" floopy :)

"Cheryl D Wise" <wiserways.wiserways.com> wrote in message
| Want a copy? I think I've still got it on 5.25 floppy upstairs in a
closet?

| I'm thinking it was circa 1988 but who can remember dates that far back
and
| I'm too lazy to Google for it.

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28Crash_Gordon=AE\

I have one too, in my museum (ehrm..garage) I think it has an orange crt.
...kinda cool.

"Cheryl D Wise" <wiserways.wiserways.com> wrote in message | That's the one.

| My mother had one that I'd use for typing up papers, entry into Lotus 123
| (for her, college job). When she'd take it on business trips several times
| at the aiport someone would ask if she was seamstress taking her sewing
| machine with her. (She was a CPA.)
|
| --
| Cheryl D. Wise
| MS FrontPage MVP
| http://mvp.wiserways.com
| http://starttoweb.com
| Online instructor led web design training in FrontPage,
| Dreamweaver and more!
| Next Session June 26th
| message |
| Did it look like a portable sewing machine?
|

| "Cheryl D Wise" <wiserways.wiserways.com> wrote in message
| | | Does CP/M on a Kaypro luggable mean anything to you?
| |
| | --
| | Cheryl D. Wise
| | MS FrontPage MVP
| | http://mvp.wiserways.com
| | http://starttoweb.com
| | Online instructor led web design training in FrontPage,
| | Dreamweaver and more!
| | Next Session June 26th
| |

| | > --
| | > Cheers,
| | > Trevor L., WIP (Web Interested Person) and Oldtimer (64 next birthday)
| | > Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au

| | > I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
| | > http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

| |
| |

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28Crash_Gordon=AE\

His Phd was about 8" floopies?...musta been a boring thesis :)

"Cheryl D Wise" <wiserways.wiserways.com> wrote in message | Sorry, we have enough 8" floppies around here already. My husband's PhD
| thesis is on them.
|
| --
| Cheryl D. Wise
| MS FrontPage MVP
| http://mvp.wiserways.com
| http://starttoweb.com
| Online instructor led web design training in FrontPage,
| Dreamweaver and more!
| Next Session June 26th
|
| message | I'll trade you my copy of Visicalc on an 8" floopy :)
|

| "Cheryl D Wise" <wiserways.wiserways.com> wrote in message
| | | Want a copy? I think I've still got it on 5.25 floppy upstairs in a
| closet?
| |
| | I'm thinking it was circa 1988 but who can remember dates that far back
| and
| | I'm too lazy to Google for it.
| |
| |

Cheryl D Wise

My memory is nixing my some of those early machines I cant remember if ours
was amber or green. The first law office 1 worked at after passing the bar
used 8086 based Kaypros. as well.

FWIW, I believe my mothers is still in my father's attic.

--
Cheryl D. Wise
MS FrontPage MVP
http://mvp.wiserways.com
http://starttoweb.com
Online instructor led web design training in FrontPage,
Dreamweaver and more!
Next Session June 26th

message I have one too, in my museum (ehrm..garage) I think it has an orange crt.
...kinda cool.

"Cheryl D Wise" <wiserways.wiserways.com> wrote in message
| That's the one.
|
| My mother had one that I'd use for typing up papers, entry into Lotus 123
| (for her, college job). When she'd take it on business trips several times
| at the aiport someone would ask if she was seamstress taking her sewing
| machine with her. (She was a CPA.)
|
| --
| Cheryl D. Wise
| MS FrontPage MVP
| http://mvp.wiserways.com
| http://starttoweb.com
| Online instructor led web design training in FrontPage,
| Dreamweaver and more!
| Next Session June 26th
| message |
| Did it look like a portable sewing machine?
|

| "Cheryl D Wise" <wiserways.wiserways.com> wrote in message
| | | Does CP/M on a Kaypro luggable mean anything to you?
| |
| | --
| | Cheryl D. Wise
| | MS FrontPage MVP
| | http://mvp.wiserways.com
| | http://starttoweb.com
| | Online instructor led web design training in FrontPage,
| | Dreamweaver and more!
| | Next Session June 26th
| |

| | > --
| | > Cheers,
| | > Trevor L., WIP (Web Interested Person) and Oldtimer (64 next birthday)
| | > Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au

| | > I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
| | > http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

| |
| |

I got a Commodore 64 in my "museum" too, complete with its own monitor
monitor and 5.25 floppies. -:)

Thomas A. Rowe

I have a fully function Morrow with CP/M Plus ver 3 and a orange monitor.

WebMaster Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.

It’s nice to see that you brought an argument (and some info about the
release date with Longhorn) to this thread, I enjoyed reading the casual talk
but here at least I have something about FrontPage to respond to!

I’m not too sure about the “Notepad†argument though, yes people are still
using bicycles too, but I don’t think you would want to ride one on your
daily commute to downtown! I didn’t put three Gigabyte of RAM in my puter to
use Notepad as HTML editor on it!

True, some old software are still being used (and I’m using a few myself)
but we’re talking about a software dealing with web design, the most dynamic
media ever.

I don’t think I want to put this type of software next to some other
applications that are a lot less important to many web designers and even
casual users.

Longhorn is due around April 2006 according to a website I saw recently. Or
has it changed?

-
-

Cheryl D Wise

Last report I saw which I think was on Cnet said October 2006 but who knows.

In reality there are many professional web developers who use nothing more
than glorified text editors like UltraEdit or Homesite to create their
websites and always will. While I could write a site with Homesite, TopStyle
Pro's HTML Editor or any of a number of text editors I don't choose to do so
on a regular basis.

FrontPage is only a tool. A tool I happen to like and think does some things
well and other things less well but it is only one tool in my toolbox. It
will never be the only tool.

FWIW, there are also people who ride bicycles on their daily commute. I see
them going to the Houston Medical Center and even downtown every day. I also
see people riding their bike to a commuter rail station which maybe an even
better comparison.

As far as ram goes, I put 2 gig in my tablet so I can run multiple apps
simultaneously and PhotoShop without bottlenecks.

--
Cheryl D. Wise
MS FrontPage MVP
http://mvp.wiserways.com
http://starttoweb.com
Online instructor led web design training in FrontPage,
Dreamweaver and more!
Next Session June 26th

Trevor L.

Cheryl,
Interesting you should say that (i.e. what tools profressionals use)

At the moment I have open UltraEdit32 and TopStyle Lite (CSS Editor).

It is a bit like riding the bike to the railway sation. ie. horses for
courses.

Ultra Edit does a great job of editing HTML and JS, higlighting keywords and
comment code
TopStyle Lite is good for editing CSS and seeing hte optiosn available
FrontPage does a good job of automatic updating (e.g. Date last Edited) and
publishing

--
[...]

yep...I use Photoshop for some things, Xara X1 for others, Illustrator, Irfanview...nothing does everything the way I want it to so I use lots of different tools. Same with real tools I have 3 or 4 different pairs of wire cutters all basically the same thing only sometimes I have to use the one with yellow handles rather than the red ones because it just welll feels right.

> [...]
| >>
| >> I'm not too sure about the "Notepad" argument though, yes people are
| >> still using bicycles too, but I don't think you would want to ride
| >> one on your daily commute to downtown! I didn't put three Gigabyte
| >> of RAM in my puter to
| >> use Notepad as HTML editor on it!
| >>
| >> True, some old software are still being used (and I'm using a few
| >> myself) but we're talking about a software dealing with web design,
| >> the most dynamic
| >> media ever.
| >>
| >> I don't think I want to put this type of software next to some other
| >> applications that are a lot less important to many web designers and
| >> even casual users.
| >>
| >> Longhorn is due around April 2006 according to a website I saw
| >> recently. Or
| >> has it changed?
|

| I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

Kevin Spencer

Hey now, the bike-riding thing is not a good analogy. At my age, riding a
bike extends your lifetime!

Typing, on the other hand, is not known to stimulate the cardiopulmonary
system.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Ambiguity has a certain quality to it.

BUMP!

OK, it's
October ... and I am beta testing Vista and we all know where Office 12 is

So, any new news on FrontPage? to me 2007 is way too late for improvements?
Even some new interim free Components from MS would have been good.

I am "not" a web developer in the sense of doing HTML like I knew DOS (I'm
2.1 circa from my PC jr. Days!). Anyway, I use FrontPage more as a "web
author than developer. What I am concerned about is Macromedia has had a
stream of upgrades already since FP2003 ... by 06/07 how many will move over
to Dreamweaver / Studio. I have taken a few DW classes, but have contrary to
some others preferred FP.

So, I am as anxious as some on this thread and am hoping that 4 months since
this thread started may bring a more enlightening update on potential
features, beta and gold release dates, etc. :blush:)

Come on MS … We’re hungry! …

T.

Murray

Macromedia has had a
stream of upgrades already since FP2003

FP2003 and DMX2004 were released about the same time. Since then, the only
new release has been DW8, released last month. That's a pretty 'trickly'
stream.... 8)

Your link does not work ... I get ... "We’re sorry, but there is no
Microsoft.com Web page that matches your entry"

Can you post it again??

Thanks, T.

OK Murray, you have a point ... but ... (you knew there was one!)

Hhere's a comparison of FP vs. DW releases since '96 ...
** Score: FP = 5 ... DW = 10 **

Since 1996 ....
** DW skipped years '96, '01 & '04 **
** FP skipped years ''98, '00, '02, '04 & '05 **
--------
FrontPage 97 Standard Edition 12/26/1996
FrontPage 98 Standard Edition 12/25/1997
FrontPage 2000 Standard Edition 6/27/1999
FrontPage 2002 Standard Edition 5/31/2001
FrontPage 2003 11/19/2003
--------
Dreamweaver 1.0 December 1997
Dreamweaver 1.2 March 1998
Dreamweaver 2.0 December 1998
Dreamweaver 3.0 December 1999
Dreamweaver UltraDev 1.0 December 1999
Dreamweaver 4.0 December 2000
Dreamweaver UltraDev 4.0 December 2000
Dreamweaver MX May 2002
Dreamweaver MX 2004 September 10, 2003
Dreamweaver 8 September 13, 2005
--------

So ... maybe not a trickle, but certainly not a wave! ... I guess I am just
a bit anxious for something more ... :blush:)

Thanks, T.
--------