Freeware to open and edit MS Publisher files in Open Office?

Discussion in 'Freeware' started by Anonymous, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Hi Everyone,

    I want to open and edit MS Publisher files in Open Office (or any other
    freeware) and then save the Publisher file as a webpage. Is there a
    freeware converter or file-filter that will allow me to do that?

    I'm doing a website for a .org client and I would LOVE to dump my legal
    and registered version of MS Office in favor of avant-garde freeware of
    some kind---but my client uses Publisher to create their monthly
    newsletter. They need me to convert that newsletter into a webpage and
    post it on their site. The only reason I'm still using MS Office is
    because of Publisher.

    Does anyone know of ANY freeware editor-program that will open and edit
    (and save as a webpage) MS Publisher files?

    Thanks!

    Anonymous, Jan 20, 2006

  2. Anonymous

    Craig Guest

    Anonymous wrote:
    > Hi Everyone,

    > Does anyone know of ANY freeware editor-program that will open and edit
    > (and save as a webpage) MS Publisher files?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Hi;

    Two of the open-source/freeware product that I use for this kind of work
    are openoffice.org and nvu.com. Open office can save & edit basic html
    files, Nvu can do more advanced html/xhtml/css markup.

    It appears MS Publisher saves to html so, in theory, you'll have no
    problem. <ahem>

    hth,
    Craig

    From MS' website:

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP051241461033.aspx

    Craig, Jan 20, 2006

  3. Anonymous

    El Gee Guest

    "Anonymous" <> wrote in

    > Hi Everyone,
    >
    > I want to open and edit MS Publisher files in Open Office (or any
    > other freeware) and then save the Publisher file as a webpage. Is
    > there a freeware converter or file-filter that will allow me to do
    > that?
    >
    > I'm doing a website for a .org client and I would LOVE to dump my
    > legal and registered version of MS Office in favor of avant-garde
    > freeware of some kind---but my client uses Publisher to create their
    > monthly newsletter. They need me to convert that newsletter into a
    > webpage and post it on their site. The only reason I'm still using MS
    > Office is because of Publisher.
    >
    > Does anyone know of ANY freeware editor-program that will open and
    > edit (and save as a webpage) MS Publisher files?
    >
    > Thanks!

    IIRC OO.o does not open MS Publishers default format. Nothing I have
    found does so far. MS is very good at keeping things proprietary.

    El Gee // www.mistergeek.com <><
    Know Christ, Know Peace - No Christ, No Peace
    Remove .yourhat to reply

    El Gee, Jan 20, 2006
  4. Anonymous

    Craig Guest

    El Gee wrote:

    > "Anonymous" <> wrote in
    >

    >>Hi Everyone,
    >>
    >>I want to open and edit MS Publisher files in Open Office (or any
    >>other freeware) and then save the Publisher file as a webpage. Is
    >>there a freeware converter or file-filter that will allow me to do
    >>that? >>

    > IIRC OO.o does not open MS Publishers default format.

    Publisher saves to a number of formats including ms word and html. OOo
    can handle those no problem.

    fwiw,
    Craig

    Craig, Jan 20, 2006
  5. Anonymous

    Even Afwezig Guest

    Op Fri, 20 Jan 2006 06:01:17 GMT, Craig <>
    schreef:

    >El Gee wrote:
    >
    >> "Anonymous" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>>Hi Everyone,
    >>>
    >>>I want to open and edit MS Publisher files in Open Office (or any
    >>>other freeware) and then save the Publisher file as a webpage. Is
    >>>there a freeware converter or file-filter that will allow me to do
    >>>that? >>

    >> IIRC OO.o does not open MS Publishers default format.

    >Publisher saves to a number of formats including ms word and html. OOo
    >can handle those no problem.

    I think the OP wants to open .pub files....
    --
    Even Afwezig

    Even Afwezig, Jan 20, 2006
  6. Anonymous

    RGreen Guest

    "Anonymous" <> wrote in message

    >> I'm doing a website for a .org client and I would LOVE to dump my legal

    > and registered version of MS Office in favor of avant-garde freeware of
    > some kind---

    This is the must RIDICOLOUS thing I'd ever read in my whole life. I would
    like to dump my well working Nissan to have some avant-garde cool bicycle,
    which may be worse, but, hey it's COOL, isn't it?

    RGreen, Jan 20, 2006
  7. Anonymous

    El Gee Guest

    Craig <> wrote in

    > El Gee wrote:
    >
    >> "Anonymous" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>>Hi Everyone,
    >>>
    >>>I want to open and edit MS Publisher files in Open Office (or any
    >>>other freeware) and then save the Publisher file as a webpage. Is
    >>>there a freeware converter or file-filter that will allow me to do
    >>>that? >>

    >> IIRC OO.o does not open MS Publishers default format.

    > Publisher saves to a number of formats including ms word and html.
    > OOo can handle those no problem.
    >
    > fwiw,
    > Craig

    I think the Orig Poster wants to open .pub files, which IIRC OO.o will
    not do. I understand that MS Pub will save as other formats, but if I
    have .pub files only, nothing that I know of will open them except MS
    Pub.

    El Gee, Jan 20, 2006
  8. Anonymous

    granpaw Guest

    "Anonymous" <> wrote in news:OLadnWDHtOmE_U3eRVn-
    :

    > Hi Everyone,
    >
    > I want to open and edit MS Publisher files in Open Office (or any other
    > freeware) and then save the Publisher file as a webpage. Is there a
    > freeware converter or file-filter that will allow me to do that?
    >
    > I'm doing a website for a .org client and I would LOVE to dump my legal
    > and registered version of MS Office in favor of avant-garde freeware of
    > some kind---but my client uses Publisher to create their monthly
    > newsletter. They need me to convert that newsletter into a webpage and
    > post it on their site. The only reason I'm still using MS Office is
    > because of Publisher.
    >
    > Does anyone know of ANY freeware editor-program that will open and edit
    > (and save as a webpage) MS Publisher files?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I take my old .pub files (newsletter pages) made with mspub win3.11 and
    just copy all of the elements to a good html editor (eversoft) and layout
    the pages like I want.

    Maybe helpful, maybe not, hope so.

    granpaw

    granpaw, Jan 20, 2006
  9. Anonymous

    chrysolite

    Joined:
    May 30, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0

    Check out LibreOffice 4.0.Libre Office has a new Publisher conversion add-in option.
    and another option is a free file conversion site, Zamzar.

    chrysolite, May 30, 2013