What is a good freeware alternative to Micro$oft Publisher, that can read its files?

EDEB

What is a good freeware alternative to Micro$oft Publisher, that can read its files?

(And preferably save them in the same formats as Publisher so I can work on things here, and then take them into work, and use
Publisher there...)

tia

EDEB.

I Forget

In £inux there is SnocPub. Was compatible with publisher 2000 IIRC

I've tried "SnocPub" in every variation I can think of but I cannot
find anything on either Google,Yahoo, or RPMFind.
Do you by any chance have a link?

Anonymous

EDEB wrote :
What is a good freeware alternative to Micro$oft Publisher, that can read its
files?

I've been looking for one for two years and haven't found anything yet.

Ned Goudy

EDEB wrote :
I've been looking for one for two years and haven't found anything yet.

You guys need to use SERIF products.
They give you a free version of their software
to try out and BELIEVE me, their PAID version
of PagePlus 11 is as good as InDesign or Quark Express
for doing newsletters, posters, flyers, small newspapers
or even magazines. You can even make PDF files in
the paid version that you can send to any professional
printer that works with 21st century computer equipment.

Download your FREE VERSION of PagePlus SE here:
http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/default.asp

Please note: They have Photoshop like software too
on the same page. This company provides an incredible
value. I have used their PagePlus program for years and
swear by it, having formerly used Adobe Pagemaker.

So throw those Publisher files away and start making
your own custom files from scratch!

Ned

William F. Adams

Ned claimed:
PagePlus 11 is as good as InDesign or Quark Express

It's ``XPress''.

I might give you the latter as most people use it, but the new Quark 7
beta does have decent OpenType support, and XTensions are finally
starting to get back up to speed (you're surely not claiming it has
features equivalent to Kytek's AutoPage or Pianzhang), but I can't find
anything to lead me to believe it's as good as even InDesign 1:

- what H&J system does it use?
- does it support OpenType and contextual ligature substitution?
- Unicode? How's the foreign languge support?
- is it extensible?

Which isn't to say InDesign is perfect (I'm still amused by users
raving over features which LaTeX has had for decades) but there's not
much which competes with it on the GUI-front, though I wish there were.

Although they don't open Publisher files AFAIK, Ragtime Solo is quite
nice, and (for Linux) Scribus is making progress.

William

John Corliss

Ned said:
You guys need to use SERIF products.
They give you a free version of their software
to try out and BELIEVE me, their PAID version
of PagePlus 11 is as good as InDesign or Quark Express
for doing newsletters, posters, flyers, small newspapers
or even magazines. You can even make PDF files in
the paid version that you can send to any professional
printer that works with 21st century computer equipment.

Download your FREE VERSION of PagePlus SE here:
http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/default.asp

Please note: They have Photoshop like software too
on the same page. This company provides an incredible
value. I have used their PagePlus program for years and
swear by it, having formerly used Adobe Pagemaker.

So throw those Publisher files away and start making
your own custom files from scratch!

Ned

Just be sure and use a throw-away email account and provide false info
when you register. Otherwise, and IME, they spam you to death.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc, for instance. No

Susan Bugher

I'm a newbie. What does this mean??

I'll let them explain it:

From: "Patrick Connor" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:14:38 GMT
Subject: Re: Free versions of Serif software
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Though IIRC I had no end of problems when I tried to enable my
Serif programs after moving from one computer to another. IIRC the
registration was linked to a previous email address and I had to work
out what that had been (long ago) to get things working. I sure wish
you had of had a single (portable) registration number. So changing
/upgrading my computer didn't break things so easily.

The registration key is currently hard drive specific, so installing on
another computer requires a new registration key. :(

Patrick Connor
Software Product Manager
Serif Europe Ltd

</q>