Freeware DVD player with no ad/spyware?

dvdguy

I'm about to order a DVD-ROM drive that is OEM and won't come with any
software. So I need to find a freeware DVD player. I run Windows 2000, and I
want a freeware DVD player that does not have any adware or spyware in it.
Any recommendations? Thanks.

Hubert Taler

U¿ytkownik (e-mail address removed) napisa³:
I'm about to order a DVD-ROM drive that is OEM and won't come with any
software. So I need to find a freeware DVD player. I run Windows 2000, and I
want a freeware DVD player that does not have any adware or spyware in it.
Any recommendations? Thanks.

I think that Media Player Classic plays DVD and it's very small, and
ad-free. Get it at
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id=84358
Hubert

John Corliss

I'm about to order a DVD-ROM drive that is OEM and won't come with any
software. So I need to find a freeware DVD player. I run Windows 2000, and I
want a freeware DVD player that does not have any adware or spyware in it.
Any recommendations? Thanks.

You might want to look at BSPlayer:

http://www.bsplayer.org/index.php

NOTE:

"Why BSplayer connect to the internet at the startup?

It doesn't connect to the internet, but to port 8765 on localhost
which is WinLIRC server.
If you don't use WinLIRC then go to Options->Preferences->General and
check 'Don't use WinLIRC' option."

Semi Head

Group: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Thu, Aug 19, 2004, 2:03am (CDT-2)
From: (e-mail address removed)# (John Corliss)
You might want to look at BSPlayer:

http://www.bsplayer.org/index.php

Mr Cortiss your post reminds me.
I never could get bsplayer to run on my Win-98se puter.
Never found out what the prob was however from what i read in their
forum, last year (i think), many other '98 users had similar problems.
i can't remember exactly what the defect or bug was.
anyway, i do remember it simply would not run when clicked. sorry for
getting off-track.

S_H

Joe Silver

I'm about to order a DVD-ROM drive that is OEM and won't come with any
software. So I need to find a freeware DVD player. I run Windows 2000, and I
want a freeware DVD player that does not have any adware or spyware in it.
Any recommendations? Thanks.

Depending on the processing power of your computer, you might achieve better
results with an MPEG decoder PCI card. I learned this the hard way! :) I
have an old 400 MHz PII, and I figured that enabling it to play DVDs would
be as simple as buying and installing a DVD-ROM drive. This turned out not
to be the case.

Although I find Media Player Classic to be an excellent program for playing
various types of media, it did not work well for playing DVDs on my
computer. After doing some research on the Web and Usenet, I decided to buy
a Sigma Designs Hollywood Plus card. These can be found dirt cheap on eBay.
I bought and installed one, and it made a huge difference. Note, however,
that this card can't be used with Media Player Classic, or any software DVD
player other than Sigma's DVD Station, which can be downloaded from their
Web site.

You can also connect the Hollywood Plus card to your television set, and
play DVDs on your TV. All in all, I'm very satisfied with my Hollywood Plus
card. Sigma also has a newer card called Xcard, which has additional
features and is claimed to have superior playback quality, but I wasn't able
to find the same sort of deep discounts on it that can be found on the
Hollywood Plus.

John Corliss

Semi said:
Mr Coriss your post reminds me.
I never could get bsplayer to run on my Win-98se puter.
Never found out what the prob was however from what i read in their
forum, last year (i think), many other '98 users had similar problems.
i can't remember exactly what the defect or bug was.
anyway, i do remember it simply would not run when clicked. sorry for
getting off-track.

Not at all off track! You're discussing the program I recommended and
that's about as on track as it gets. I wasn't aware of this problem. I
wonder if they've fixed it since then?

Well at any rate, here's another one that's fairly well rated at
Snapfiles. I haven't used it, but it looks good. It's called "ViPlay":

http://viplay.cjb.net/

By the way, please call me John. Most of us here aren't big on formality.

Bill in Co.

mike555 said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote in message

=== there is a bunch of good ones but I like "Media Player Clasic "
that comes with " K-lite pack full " , from .....
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm =====

Is there any disadvantage to installing that codec pack? I assume it may
overwrite some existing ones w/o warning, and perhaps "up the RAM memory
usage" by the media player.

Is there any option to choose which codecs in the pack you want to install?
Or is it all or nothing? I didn't see any info on that at the site.

Bill in Co.

Bill said:
Is there any disadvantage to installing that codec pack? I assume it may
overwrite some existing ones w/o warning, and perhaps "up the RAM memory
usage" by the media player.

Is there any option to choose which codecs in the pack you want to install?
Or is it all or nothing? I didn't see any info on that at the site.

Correction - on rereading it, it appears to be customizable in terms of
which ones you can install.

Brian

I'm about to order a DVD-ROM drive that is OEM and won't come with any
software. So I need to find a freeware DVD player. I run Windows
2000, and I want a freeware DVD player that does not have any adware
or spyware in it. Any recommendations?

Windows 2000 has one built-in. Click, Start, Run, then enter: dvdplay

Biz

Brian said:
Windows 2000 has one built-in. Click, Start, Run, then enter: dvdplay
It has a dvd player FRONT END built-in, but it requires mpeg2 codecs to be
installed like from WinDVD or PowerDVD to actually play dvds.

Phil

Adrian Boliston said:
I think you find this simply fires up wmplayer.exe which is heap of c**p.

Hi,

Win2K has a "simple" dvdplayer program. To be more specific, it's located in
<System Drive>:\WINNT\system32\dvdplay.exe

It's very basic dvdplayer without much "extra" features.

Bill G

Is there any disadvantage to installing that codec pack? I assume it may
overwrite some existing ones w/o warning, and perhaps "up the RAM memory
usage" by the media player.

Is there any option to choose which codecs in the pack you want to install?
Or is it all or nothing? I didn't see any info on that at the site.

It's generally a bad idea to install a complete "codec pack" since
some may overwrite or conflict with what you already have. It's
usually best to install just the codecs you actually need.

Bill in Co.

Phil said:
Hi,

Win2K has a "simple" dvdplayer program. To be more specific, it's located in
<System Drive>:\WINNT\system32\dvdplay.exe

It's very basic dvdplayer without much "extra" features.

You can also use WMP 6.4 (with updated codecs). No bloatware there
either.

John Corliss

JoeA said:
I used the old .86 version on 98SE. I never tryed the new version1.0?

I'm using Ver. 1 RC 1. That version has very few bugs and works great
on my system, so I never upgraded.