Freeware DVD player?

Backwards

Hello,

I got hold of a perfectly good DVD player for my computer, but it had no
software. The drivers were no problem, go those and installed them. However,
I need somethign to play movie DVDs with, and was wondering if anyone knew
of a freeware DVD player. Found lots of them on the internet but all of them
contained spyware, which of course I can do perfectly without.

Thanks in advance!

CoMa

Hello,

I got hold of a perfectly good DVD player for my computer, but it had no
software. The drivers were no problem, go those and installed them. However,
I need somethign to play movie DVDs with, and was wondering if anyone knew
of a freeware DVD player. Found lots of them on the internet but all of them
contained spyware, which of course I can do perfectly without.

VLC VideoLan
http://www.videolan.org/
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/VLC_VideoLAN_for_Windows/1034861925/1

Media Player Classic (MPC)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Media_Player_Classic_for_Windows_2000XP/1045531002/1

/CoMa

John Corliss

Backwards said:
Hello,

I got hold of a perfectly good DVD player for my computer, but it had no
software. The drivers were no problem, go those and installed them. However,
I need somethign to play movie DVDs with, and was wondering if anyone knew
of a freeware DVD player. Found lots of them on the internet but all of them
contained spyware, which of course I can do perfectly without.

Thanks in advance!

Not knowing which version of Windows you're running, I don't know if you
have the DVD player that comes with it or not.

As for freeware, the best I've found and in fact what I use is Media
Player Classic, which is listed on this page:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/

In order to use the program for playing DVDs, you may or may not need a
good codec. First try it without installing a codec pack, but if it
doesn't work then I recommend the Coda codec pack:

http://jdoe.host.sk/

although some here like the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm

I've found it to be problematic on some people's computers (mine
included). On the other hand, my experience has been that the Coda codec
pack is problem free. YMMV.

At any rate, after you get Media Player Classic installed, start the
program and then click on View/Options/Player. Under "Other", make sure
there are checkmarks by "Exit fullscreen at the end of playback",
"Remember last window position", "Remember last window size" and "Store
settingg to .ini file". Under "Open options", make sure there is a
checkmark by "Launch files in fullscreen".

The other main contender is Videolan:

VLC Media Player: http://www.videolan.org

but I couldn't get it to install properly or run on my system. You might
have better luck than I did.

I just found one called "DSPlayer":

http://www.dsplayer.de/dspweb/Content/AboutDS.htm

but I haven't tried it or seen it before. They claim that it doesn't
contain any spyware.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls.

El Gee

Hello,

I got hold of a perfectly good DVD player for my computer, but it had
no software. The drivers were no problem, go those and installed them.
However, I need somethign to play movie DVDs with, and was wondering
if anyone knew of a freeware DVD player. Found lots of them on the
internet but all of them contained spyware, which of course I can do
perfectly without.

Thanks in advance!
A post from a few days ago:

Subject: Freeware DVD players
From: "Michael Laplante" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware

The recent loss of my commercial DVD program led me on a search for a
freeware version. I know that there are periodically calls for DVD
players on this NG. Media Player Classic is supposed to play DVDs but I
find that some DVDs play choppy on it. Here are some alternatives that
might interest you.

It turns out that Win98SE itself has some "free" DVD players built right
into it as I discovered on some NGs. The following instructions may
apply to other versions of Windows, I don't know.
_______________________________________
OPTION 1:
îîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîî
It turns out that Windows Media Player -- the "old" one that comes
standard with Win98 (aka mplayer2.exe) -- can be tweaked via the
registry to play DVDs. According to the instructions I saved:

--------------------
1. This setting allows you to use Microsoft Media Player to Play and
Open DVDs.

2. Open your registry and find the key below.

3. Create a new string value called "EnableDVDUI" and set it to "yes" to
enable DVD functionality.

Settings
Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\Settings]
Value Name: EnableDVDUI
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
Value Data: yes or no

Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may
require you to reinstall your operating system. Backup your registry
first.

Once you follow the above instructions, run mplayer2.exe. (Via Start |
Run or create a shortcut to the original in the Windows directory.)
You'll now see that under File is the menu item Open DVD. . .
_______________________________________
OPTION 2:
îîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîî
It also seems that Win98SE also has a dedicated DVD player, that isn't
installed as part of the normal installation process. However, you can
do it manually, following the instructions below:
---------------
To install the player yourself, you need to extract it from Windows 98
CAB files using Winzip.
DRIVER11.CAB..........DVDPLAY.CHM
DRIVER17.CAB..........DVDPLAY.EXE
DRIVER17.CAB..........DVDRGN.EXE
DRIVER28.CAB..........DVDPLAY.CNT
DRIVER42.CAB..........DVDPLAY.HLP (French version of Windows 98)
DRIVER44.CAB..........DVDPLAY.HLP (US version of Windows 98)
P.S. Locations of these files might be in other CAB files if for some
reason microsoft decides to repackage Windows 98.
- Extract these 5 files into a folder of your choice
- Move DVDRGN.EXE into the Windows 98 folder
- Run DVDPLAY.EXE.
---------------

You're not quite home yet though, because for either of these methods to
work, you need a DVD registered driver. (These programs are just the
"front end" loaders needed to use the driver. Without a driver neither
one of these techniques will work.)

I found a free DVD codec at:
http://digilander.libero.it/frbat/software.htm#FreeDvdCodec

This one is meant to be used with MaximusDVD (see below) but it seems to
work just as well for the techniques discussed above.

I have tested both techniques above. My initial observations is that
they work superbly. However, mplayer2.exe doesn't have the navigation
control system that dvdplay.exe does. It's strictly an on/off program.

I also came across references to two freeware programs that might work
better for you.
_______________________________________
VideoLan
îîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîî
You can dl this program here.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

It is self-contained. It installs its own drivers and a front end
program. I've tested it -- it works wells, although the interface is a
little clunky to figure out and it seems capable of doing a bunch of
other things that I didn't check out. Also, once it stole my video file
associations, I couldn't seem to release from within the program
preferences. _______________________________________
MaximusDVDPlayer
îîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîîî
The original site of this freeware program seems to have disappeared.
However, you can still find it by Googling for it. I found it here:
http://digilander.libero.it/frbat/software2.htm

As I mentioned above, you have to dl and install the free DVD codec that
can be found on the same site. I haven't tested this one at all, so I
can't say anything more about it.

Hope this helps someone. . .

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
El Gee <><
Know Christ, Know Peace
No Christ, No Peace

Remove yourhat to reply
Home Page - www.mistergeek.com
Blog - mcwtlg.blogspot.com
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Helen

Backwards said:
Hello,

I got hold of a perfectly good DVD player for my computer, but it had no
software. The drivers were no problem, go those and installed them. However,
I need somethign to play movie DVDs with, and was wondering if anyone knew
of a freeware DVD player. Found lots of them on the internet but all of them
contained spyware, which of course I can do perfectly without.

Thanks in advance!
I use InterActual and have no problems with it. OS is XP.
I've had it a couple of years. There's a free upgrade but I
don't know if the program itself if still free. Accoding to
one site he's now charging for it. It requires that you
already have a DVD decoder and at least 200MHz speed.
You can find it (and others) here:
http://hometheaterinfo.com/interact.htm
http://www.mrfreefree.com/free/interactual_player_2_0/1/
HTH
Helen

Joe Silver

Backwards said:
Hello,

I got hold of a perfectly good DVD player for my computer, but it had no
software. The drivers were no problem, go those and installed them. However,
I need somethign to play movie DVDs with, and was wondering if anyone knew
of a freeware DVD player. Found lots of them on the internet but all of them
contained spyware, which of course I can do perfectly without.

Thanks in advance!

group: I'm running Windows 2000 on a Dell OptiPlex GX1 with a Celeron
1.4 processor. I've found *no* freeware that works satisfactorily for
playing DVDs - and I've tried a bunch. In fact, I've concluded that my
hardware is probably inadequate for the task without a little help (in
my case, a PCI MPEG decoder card, which, needless to say, was not free,
although it was very cheap - so forget I even mentioned it!).

I like Media Player Classic for playing audio files, but for DVDs it's
pretty hopeless, at least on my machine. Playback is too jerky to be
acceptable.

Now, those of you who recommend freeware for playing DVDs, are you
saying that these programs do a *good* job of playing DVDs? Or are they
simply the best that one can do for free, but still terrible? Would a
faster computer make the difference between a viewing experience that's
horrendous and one that's pleasant? I would have to think there are some
readers here with computers at least as antiquated as mine - but maybe
not?...

Fran

MPC has good DVD support, but it's built-in MPEG2 decoder is crap. Install
the one that comes with Coda codec pack and disable built-in decoder in MPC.

El Gee

[...]

I use Media Player Classic and while it is not as good as commercial
software, it does what I need it to. We used to use Dell Optiplex PC's
at work, but no one was ever satisfied with the video performance with
the cruddy on-board (integrated) video cards we had. 1.4 ghz should be
fine if you have a good video card.

Maximus has been suggested by many but I have never gotten it to work on
any machine I have had, so maybe my hardware was not up to snuff.

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

El said:
I use Media Player Classic and while it is not as good as commercial
software, it does what I need it to. We used to use Dell Optiplex PC's
at work, but no one was ever satisfied with the video performance with
the cruddy on-board (integrated) video cards we had. 1.4 ghz should be
fine if you have a good video card.

So perhaps a video card would make the difference? This brings up once
again the fine line that can sometimes separate freeware and non-freeware.

Some months back, I was chastised by some here for suggesting a DVD
playback solution that involved an inexpensive MPEG decoder card
combined with free software that can be downloaded from the
manufacturer's Web site (which, by the way, works *great* for me; if
anyone wants to know what I use, please search this newsgroup or e-mail
me, as I do not wish to incur the wrath of the freeware police!).

Media Player Classic + video card = freeware
MPEG decoder card + proprietary free software = not freeware

????????????

Joe Silver

Fran said:
MPC has good DVD support, but it's built-in MPEG2 decoder is crap. Install
the one that comes with Coda codec pack and disable built-in decoder in MPC.

Been there, done that. Thanks anyway!

jmatt

Opp's the link is dead for my post .
Here is the info .

Then the reason is probably that your IDE drives are in PIO mode
instead of DMA! Remedy? Enter the device manager by right clicking
"my computer" and choosing "properties" and then
"hardware".

Double click on the "IDE primary drive" and then "advanced
settings". There you can see the current setting for the master and
the slave drives on the primary IDE channel. There you can select
transfer mode. If it is set at "PIO only", then select "DMA if
available" instead and reboot!

If the computer persists on having only PIO after reboot even though
the hard drive is a flashing super-duper ATA133 and transfer mode set
to "DMA if available", then you have to do the following:

Remove the primary device in the device manager and reboot! Voilà, now
the harddrive should be running in DMA mode.

Repeat on the secondary IDE channel if necessary.

Joe Silver

Joe said:
Been there, done that. Thanks anyway!

Fran, I owe you an apology. It must have been a *different* codec pack I
tried a while ago; I can't remember offhand which one. I just installed
Coda, and although for some reason the "Open DVD" menu command produces
the message "Failed to query the necessary interfaces for DVD playback,"
I am able to open a .VOB file from a DVD I've ripped to my hard drive,
and the playback, which a notch below that of my preferred solution in
terms of quality, is perfectly acceptable. (Unfortunately, playback
directly from a disc is still jerky.) I'll fiddle around and see if I
can get the "Open DVD" command to work.

Joe Silver

...Then the reason is probably that your IDE drives are in PIO mode
instead of DMA!

Actually, no. I just checked, and both my drives are already set to "DMA
if available." However, Fran's advice to download Coda codec pack helped
somewhat. Thanks for the suggestion!

El Gee

So perhaps a video card would make the difference? This brings up once
again the fine line that can sometimes separate freeware and
non-freeware.

Some months back, I was chastised by some here for suggesting a DVD
playback solution that involved an inexpensive MPEG decoder card
combined with free software that can be downloaded from the
manufacturer's Web site (which, by the way, works *great* for me; if
anyone wants to know what I use, please search this newsgroup or
e-mail me, as I do not wish to incur the wrath of the freeware
police!).

Media Player Classic + video card = freeware
MPEG decoder card + proprietary free software = not freeware

????????????

Joe, someone chastising you for mentioning something other than freeware
could be handled differently, but I cannot comment since I do not
remember that thread. Yes, hardware is technically OT here, so if you
car to write me or any other person who has experience to keep the OT
police at bay, please do.

I have a lot of friends world wide who write me rather that post to NG's
because of the flame factor involved. --
El Gee // www.mistergeek.com <><
Know Christ, Know Peace - No Christ, No Peace
Remove .yourhat to reply

Backwards

Sorry about that... after I posted I found another post asking the same
thing... should have pushed new postings one more time...

Lordy

I use Media Player Classic and while it is not as good as commercial
software, it does what I need it to. We used to use Dell Optiplex PC's
at work, but no one was ever satisfied with the video performance with
the cruddy on-board (integrated) video cards we had. 1.4 ghz should be
fine if you have a good video card.
Also reducing the number of colours on the display may help.(from 32mil to
16mil?)