=======================================

To: Geoff Lukins
From: Ron Braun

Thank you very much for your information about FreeCell #11982.

After 5+ years of playing 10s of thousands of "FreeCell" games,
I thought that they were all solvable. I was always able to figure out a
solution eventually (several seemed nearly impossible and for some
I needed several dozens tries to find a solution).

However, I (and my friends) have been unable to find a solution to #11982.

Thanks for telling us that this one may be the only unsolvable one.

Robert McMillan

According to wikipedia's article FreeCell (Windows) there are 8 unsolvable
games.

"Unsolvable combinations

Out of the Microsoft Windows games, there are believed to be 8 which are
unsolvable. They are games No. 11,982, No. 146,692, No. 186,216, No.
455,889, No. 495,505, No. 512,118, No. 517,776, and No. 781,948. This
conclusion was arrived at by the consensus of several authors of FreeCell
solvers. The solvers of both Danny A. Jones and Gary D. Campbell have been
run through the first million FreeCell games and have found solutions to all
but these eight. Several other solvers have also failed to produce solutions
to these games."

"The Lone Unsolvable FreeCell Game (#1198" <The Lone Unsolvable FreeCell