The next Grand Theft Auto title has been officially announced

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Context
It's been 10 years since Grand Theft Auto V was released, back on the PS3 and Xbox 360 originally. As it made its way to PS4, Xbox One, PC, and more recently, PS5 and Xbox Series X, it went on to become one of the most successful video games of all time. Naturally, fans have been hassling Rockstar Games for information about the next Grand Theft Auto.

Rockstar Games suffered a major leak last September, that resulted in early development videos from what was assumed to be the next Grand Theft Auto title becoming public. Since then, it's pretty much been radio silence, not even an official confirmation.

It's now confirmed that the first trailer for the next Grand Theft Auto title will be released in "early December". The actual title of the game, although widely believed to be "Grand Theft Auto 6" or "Grand Theft Auto VI", has not been confirmed. 

Captain Jack Sparrow's thoughts
This will be controversial, but whatever. Honestly, I was dreading this moment. What's going to happen to the existing Grand Theft Auto - Online infrastructure? What other developer has consistently released free DLC for 10 years?

Whilst it's great that a new title has finally been announced, Rockstar Games tried to market Grand Theft Auto - Online as a gaming-as-a-service product. But I don't feel that this is feasible anymore. The next Grand Theft Auto title is expected to use a completely new version of the RAGE engine. I can't see this being integrated with the existing service, which means that EOL is immanent.

Although I've only played Grand Theft Auto - Online with a couple of friends on an "invite only" server, it was (and still is) great fun. But I think this will spell the end of GTAV/GTAO as we know it. There's massive expectations to live up to.

Source: A Message from Rockstar Games (Rockstar Games, Wed Nov 8 2023)

Competing media
Currently, Rockstar Games has a monopoly on open-world free-roam games. The only other big player was Volition. They were notable for the Saints Row and Red Faction series. Sadly, their parent company killed them earlier this year, under controversial circumstances, but that's one for another topic.

Source: Volition (Volition, Fri 1 Sep 2023)

There might be a business case here, as I don't see any major open-world games as big as Grand Theft Auto and Saints Row. If you have a game engine that can support this (no, not you Epic Games, or anything using Unreal Engine), you might be able to do it!

Last edited:

Ask a Question