free domain names?

Franklin

Are there any decent offers anywhere for a free domain name?

I didn't get much feedback last time I asked expect from someone to say
there were usually sponsorship ads on the site.

Actually, I would like a domain name which I could point at the webspace
I already have.

I am hoping for far too much for this to be free?
(What about very, very cheap?)

:)

Boorstelt(c)

www.flexwebhosting.nl

--
Gerrit
*******

Al Klein

Are there any decent offers anywhere for a free domain name?

Are you looking for a domain name (yourname.com) or a web host
(someplace to upload your web pages)?

Unless you live in a country that registers domain names for free,
they're not free. You have to pay the registering agency to register
the one you want.

Web hosting is free on many sites, but you usually "pay" by subjecting
your users to ads. You can buy ad-free hosting for as little as
$6/month (maybe even cheaper).
Actually, I would like a domain name which I could point at the webspace
I already have.

Any host can have a page pointing anywhere - an unhosted domain name
doesn't "point" or do anything else, it's just an entry in a database.

Franklin

Are you looking for a domain name (yourname.com) or a web host
(someplace to upload your web pages)?

Unless you live in a country that registers domain names for free,
they're not free. You have to pay the registering agency to
register the one you want.

Web hosting is free on many sites, but you usually "pay" by
subjecting your users to ads. You can buy ad-free hosting for as
little as $6/month (maybe even cheaper).

Any host can have a page pointing anywhere - an unhosted domain
name doesn't "point" or do anything else, it's just an entry in a
database.

Hi Al, I am thinking of something slightly different. I am thinking
of those domain names which have been prepared and which are
specifically for pointing at a web page on another domain (such as
http://kick.me/to//FRED).

bruce317

Look there are several options if you are looking to add hosting
Network Solutions has a good monthly hosting package for 11.95 and your
domain name is only 8.05

Al Klein

Krombacher

|Are there any decent offers anywhere for a free domain name?
|
|I didn't get much feedback last time I asked expect from someone to say
|there were usually sponsorship ads on the site.
|
|Actually, I would like a domain name which I could point at the webspace
|I already have.
|
|I am hoping for far too much for this to be free?
|(What about very, very cheap?)
|
|:)

http://www.free-url-redirection.com.ru/

Dave

Franklin said:
Are there any decent offers anywhere for a free domain name?

I didn't get much feedback last time I asked expect from someone to say
there were usually sponsorship ads on the site.

Actually, I would like a domain name which I could point at the webspace
I already have.

I am hoping for far too much for this to be free?
(What about very, very cheap?)

:)
The site http://www.1and1.com has a lot of cheap deals for domains and
web space

Dave

Franklin

The advert says
2.95 UKPounds a year for ".co.uk" or ".me.uk"
8.89 UKPounds a year for ".com" and ".net"
Seems extremely cheap.

What's the catch?

The latter is offering domains at $1.99 for a .com for new
customers. Can't get much cheaper IMO :)

And that $1.99 is breathtaking. Again, what's the catch?

I'm cautious ....

Are they genuine & proper registrations?
Do they jack the price up after a year?
Are there some mandatory extras which are not so cheap?

Does the IP number - domain name go to all the root servers?
Do they work so slowly that you have to pay for speed?

Franklin

<http://www.no-ip.com/services/managed_dns/free_dynamic_dns.html> It's
free, they currently have 21 domain names you can use and their uptime
is excellent. A search for "dynamic dns" should get you a list of
similar sites.

These look good but the weird thing is that of you have your own domain
name it will cost you $15 a year for these people to maintain the
registration.

If they give you a domain name for nothing but charge $15 to look after
one you bring, then presumably they want to make something like $15
income from you at some stage to cover their costs.

Al Klein

The advert says
2.95 UKPounds a year for ".co.uk" or ".me.uk"
8.89 UKPounds a year for ".com" and ".net"
Seems extremely cheap.

What's the catch?

That's what the registrars charge to register the domain names.
And that $1.99 is breathtaking. Again, what's the catch?

See below.
Are they genuine & proper registrations?

http://www.webdingers.com. Been up and usable for a while (a few
years). I guess it's "genuine & proper".
Do they jack the price up after a year?

For new users, they change hosting price all the time. I still pay
what I've been paying all along.
Are there some mandatory extras which are not so cheap?
Does the IP number - domain name go to all the root servers?

Huh? They host my site. I really don't care how many servers it's
spread over.
Do they work so slowly that you have to pay for speed?

Try my site. Download a large file from
<http://www.webdingers.com/filelinks.html>

I've been with GoDaddy for years, so I can give you something more
than guesses and speculation.

They charge you about nothing (over the cost of the registrar's fee)
for domain registration. (No one has any control over that - everyone
but governments, who do their own registration, pays the registrar.)
Sometimes, as a loss-leader (to get you familiar with them) they'll
register a name for you for LESS than the registrar's fee (I guess
they eat the difference as an advertising cost).

The offer - but it's not mandatory (I know - I use only one of the
offered services and I've never even gotten an email offering me
others) - a whole list of services that you may want to make use of.
Just look around the site. Extra email addresses, your own server
(assuming that you use them as your host), more disk space, more usage
(GB/month-type usage), etc. In short, they offer just about as much
as anyone else does. But it's an offer, you still get what you pay
for if you don't use any of the offered services.

Getting a domain name buys you nothing but a yearly fee (from the
registrar) if you don't put it somewhere. GoDaddy has some very cheap
hosting plans. I'm still paying US$5.95/month for what would cost
about 5 times that much now. They never raised my price when they
raised prices for new users. I get the same space I contracted for
years ago, the same speed, the same up time, and the same
they-don't-make-me-feel-like-an-idiot-even-when-I-are-wun tech
support. (And I've been doing this stuff since before the internet
began, so I shouldn't need much help.)

Bottom line - and remember, I don't get a nickel for saying this, it's
just nice to have a service I almost never have to even think about -
is that I've been with them for a number of years, run a couple of
BBSs, a few database-based programs and my pages go up and down like
stock prices, and I'm still with them. If I had any complaints I
would have gone elsewhere.