Flops' Friday mini blog

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Brilliant read!!!

So you were a Go'ff 'er :D

Waiting in anticipation for the next episode..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes, I was gofer for a while, small price to pay to stop me boatrace getting scarred up and getting whacked at the school gates at 4pm though ;) That's life kiddo, no matter your social postion, we all gotta munch a slice of the old ++++ sandwich now and again ;) And it didn't last long, as my next text ramble will explain.

Thanks for all the kind comments folks :) I'm putting these memories together cos I figure as I've now had an illness that makes you sit up and take notice a coupla times, I'd like to leave a little of what young Anthony got up to for my kids.

What I didn't mention in my previous spouting was the soundtrack for all that thieving was probably Petula Clark's 'Downtown'. It went through my head as we travelled on the bus from dingy dull Grove Park to Lewisham High Street, all lit up with neon.

I really thought Lewisham was 'Downtown' which is a bit sad cos Lewisham is, and was, a bit of a crap hole. But viewed through the eyes of a 14 year old, that humble little London suburb may as well have been New York to me. Downtown indeed.

What a frickin' day I had today. I had to get to Sloane Square to replace a microphone that had packed up. I had a spare one so I set off about 10am to get from Greenwich to Sloane Square. The notice board thingie said there had been a signal failure and next train to London Bridge (change for Charing Cross/Embankment) would be 30 minutes.

So I got the DLR to Bank and on the way realised there was a tube strike on. Who will I blame for this? A lot of sweaty-arsed overpaid tube drivers? Or some bright-white-haired Eton-educated member of the toffs club with the unlikely name of Boris? Dunno, but given a chance at the time I'd have shot the lot of them and smiled.

There were a few tube trains running (ooh - blacklegs, shouts the 70's commie union shop steward) and after a rather attractive young Japanese girl asked me 'Which station for Big Ben?' and I had answered (I told her Greenford. Nope, not really - Westminster) I got on the train. But it didn't stop at Sloane Square, Sloane Square station was closed, all the staff were probably down the pub.

I ended up in South Kensington. No prob, I thought, I'll walk back to Cadogan Street (close to Sloane Square and my actual destination). Foiled! It was pouring down, torrential rain, and although it didn't wash away Nelson's Column like it did the coastal section of the railway near Dawlish, it was pretty bad. It was also very cold and I had not dressed apropiately, I was shivering.

Still, bloody but unbowed I had a solution - I'll get a cab! But, I didn't have enough cash :( Found a cash machine, only got slightly wet, postioned myself to hail a black cab. twenty minutes later realised this was hopeless, tube strike, raining, cabs busy. Damn.

So I gave up and started out home. After shivering away on the platform at South Kensington tube station (it's open air, not underground) I managed to get back to The Embankment and walk up Villiers Street to Charing Cross. Where I got a train straight to Greenwich, got home, thawed out and ate a huge bowl of neck of lamb stew with dumplings and pearl barley.

That wuz good :) (My apologies to all veggies for being a carnivorous beastie)

Sometimes not having a motor can be a real pain. So tomorrow morning Johnny's coming round here in his Merc and we will traverse the South Circ to Wandsworth Bridge and arrive in Cadogan Street bright eyed and bushy tailed around 9am. That is, if we don't encounter a cyclone on the way.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
how to cheer up any morning of the week ... :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
What a nightmare it must be, to get around London during rail strikes. Reading that actually made me feel cold too! lol

Good luck with today's journey Flopps. It sounds like your mate's Mercedes is going to be a much warmer and more comfy option. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have to get in the mood to tip-tappity away on me cherry keys to relate tales of villainy and derring-do from eons ago but in the meantime here's my diary for today :)

Today the sun had been shining brightly all day so, not having any pressing matters to attend to, I decided to take a leisurely stroll downtown with a view to visiting several retail outlets and possibly purchasing some of the merchandise they had on offer.

But my main purpose was certainly to buy a greetings card for eldest offspring who this Friday on Valentines Day will be having a celebratory occasion marking the day she entered the world some time ago at Lewisham Hospital.

No sooner had I reached a destination at the furthest point from my home to which I intended to travel than the sun ducked out of sight, the world turned grey and the skies opened up with a downpour that suggested King Kong was leaning over a cloud and relieving himself after spending an evening consuming several Firkins of Whitstable best bitter.

I wasted some time in the bank, I wasted some time in the Post Office and I browsed a selection of greetings cards in a shop that one would supposedly describe as 'trendy' and which sold a range of female apparel and many items of what I considered toot but the shop staff no doubt thought were amusing paraphernalia guaranteed to raise a chuckle when bestowed upon an unsuspecting person.

I considered several cards but none seemed to suit, I think the days when you gave a card with 'Happy F**king Birthday' on the front have rather lost their impact and, indeed, their humour, it's old hat my chum, time for Hallmark to put their thinking caps on.

So I walked home and was reminded of lyrics from Band On The Run 'You've never felt the rain my friends til you've felt it running down your backs'. And guess what happened as I reached home? That's right, the rain stopped and the sun appeared again.

This has been a 'Grumpy old Englishman in the wild who loves to moan about the weather' production. Have a nice day everybody :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
We've got a new shop in Manchester called Scribbler - they have quite a good choice of cards. Looks like they've got a lot of shops in London, but you can buy them online too :) http://www.scribbler.com/birthday-cards

Hope your daughter has a lovely birthday!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
On Saturday it didn't rain, the sun came out and it was fairly mild so I went walkabout to the park, first time this year. Was surprised at how many tourists were out and about in February, mostly Japanese, American and German judging by the accents.

I've included a few pix one of which shows the people walking up the hill on the path to the observatory which as can be seen was pretty packed. Quite odd, I've never seen it like that before and I've been going to this place unaccompanied by parents since I was 10 years old.

As I reached the observatory got a phone call from a friend en route from Scotland to France whom I hadn't seen for about a year so met him at The Coach and Horses for a coupla hours, which more or less finished any useful productivity from me for the day ;)

Outside the park gates I came across a busker, very good imo

And some pix:

8785d1393375183-flops-friday-mini-blog-001.jpg

8786d1393375190-flops-friday-mini-blog-002.jpg

8787d1393375200-flops-friday-mini-blog-003.jpg

8788d1393375207-flops-friday-mini-blog-004.jpg

8789d1393375213-flops-friday-mini-blog-005.jpg

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 225
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 243
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 294
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 266
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 250

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
You've taken some very nice pics Flopps. After the recent storms, floods and general winter nastiness, a bit of sunshine is more than welcome. It certainly brought a lot of peeps out of hibernation.

Yay! Spring is not far away now. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for comments TC :)

I think it may be one of those days today... trying to buy some spare parts, conversation quite self explanatory, this around 10:30 (Yes, I know, grumpy old git syndrome on my part, but...) ;) ) :

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Shannon'
Shannon: Hello, you're chatting with Shannon, an RS advisor.

Tony: In my last order I purchased Arbor 216-044 and need to know which drill bit fits it. I ordered 215-984 but that's the wrong one - it's too long.
Shannon: Hi there, Tony.
Tony: Also when are you going to be stocking 498-839 & it's 12mm version? It says 7th April and I need some now. Could you suggest an alternative supplier for these parts?
Shannon: I can't actually advise on an alternative supplier, this is the best date we can offer.
Tony: Oh, ok. Drill bit?
Shannon: I am just checking this for you now.
Tony: While I'm here, it would help when searching your catalogue online if you had a link to the next page at the bottom as well as the top. It's irritating to scroll 100 items then having to scroll back to the top to continue the search.
Tony: Plus I need a two way screw terminal pcb connector with 5mm pitch, I'm not having much success so far trying to find those.
Shannon: Thanks for you're feedback Tony, I will make sure to feel this back to the relevant department, For the drill bits would something like RS 221-579 be suitable?
Tony: That's a 3 piece metal drill set, totally unsuitable
Tony: And your website crashes using the Opera browser while I'm at it
Shannon: We don't appear to have a specific part listed for this.
Tony: The arbor drill bit is a single drill bit designed for use with the arbor I bought from you, I can't find one in your catalogue and I was hoping you, a qualified RS advisor, could help.
Tony: What? No aluminium knobs in stock, a crap website and you don't stock spares for your own products?
Shannon: Do you have an RS account Tony?
Tony: 'kin useless
Tony: Oh my goodness, I entered my account number at the start of this conversation
Tony: It's 1******9
Tony: RS has gone steadily downhill over the past six years and it's getting worse
Shannon: I can refer this to one of our engineers who can loom in to this further for you? I would need your contact details please.
Tony: You have my account number, my details are there with you. FYI there are lots of alternative suppliers, Rapid and CPC/Farnell being the most obvious. This is hopeless. Goodbye.

I had a doctor's appointment for 11:30, my Doc is 6 train stops away and then a ten minute walk. For 3 weeks I've had a pain/swelling on the side of my right foot. Looking at NHS website my symptoms don't seem to fit any ailment except maybe 'tenonitis' or an infection. But the swelling is in the wrong place for tenonitis and it don't look infected. It's very painful sometimes and I was rather hoping it would just go away. But it hasn't, so I thought best see quack.

On train platform 11am. All trains cancelled until 11:30. So I phone surgery and explain.

They advise re-booking appointment for tomorrow and I point out that each time since 1989 when I've had an appointment after 11:00 I've had to wait on average 40 minutes anyway and I could be there by noon. No dice - rebook tomorrow.

Am tempted to say foot problem means I can't walk and book home call but don't do that. Will book for appointment tomorrow.

And if anybody's interested in my last cancer checkup with Guys consultant about ten days ago, he declared me fit and well as far as he could tell and greeted me as his 'indestructible patient'. I thought to myself 'Don't tempt fate matey'.

He also said my teeth were in a bad way and I said I know that. So he's booked appointment with dentist at Guys where no doubt I'll lose some more molars from my rapidly declining stock. And it's unlikely I can wear dentures cos radiotherapy more or less killed my saliva glands so no lubrication for dentures. Bugger.

The consultant also appeared to recognise his failings in diagnosing me back in 2012 and said something like 'Yes, we should pay more attention to a patient's concerns as nobody knows their own body like we know our own'. No **** Sherlock, and you're a consultant? He is a good fella though, I like him.

We spoke of a former colleague of his and the lady who treated me for some of my brushes with that disease, Mary O'Connell, she had to retire on health grounds following a car crash and work-related stress, she was/is one of the finest human beings I've ever met and myself and the consultant both expressed sadness that she was no longer on his team.

And today, despite trains, unfeeling surgery receptionists and incompetent company chat people, is looking ok, bright sun and clear blue skies :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
That busker was brilliant! :thumb: Nice photos too, like TC says it looks like spring has nearly sprung.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
P.S. Sorry to hear about your foot, hope you manage to get an appointment to sort it at a decent time. Glad to hear the cancer checks are still ok too! :nod:

Reaction score
Good to hear news all ok with the big C.
Sorry to hear about your foot.
As for the teeth get them sorted when you can?
Will you get it on the NHS as your cancer treatment probably caused the decay?

As for the dentist i went recently as i knew i need a tooth out.
Went to a dentist i used 15yrs ago but had to go private, but what a great dentist.
She talked me through the extraction, played soothing music & let me know how it was going.
The hole is getting smaller by the day & I was on solids after 3 days!

Oh and the photos of the old navy college bought back some memories.

muckshifter

Reaction score
hey, hop-along to A&E, take a good book, I'm sure they'll see you in good time.

hold off on getting any gum strippers for as long as possible, as soon as you get them, you will loose more teef ... I know, I got none left.

Oh, and once all your teeth are gone, you cannot 'bite' you gums together, and you'll have to find alternative foods, like peanut butter instead of peanuts. :mad:

thought I'd cheer you up a bit. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Duh...! CS ain't what they used to be.

But now I'm intrigued. I don't suppose this company would have the item ( or info) you're seeking, would it..? http://www.starrett.co.uk/shop/arbors/ Also, have you taken a look at Screwfix? http://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/arbors-pilot-drills/cat5920020 Their staff often have a "trade" background, so they're usually quite helpful - at least they are in our local branch. Just taking a shot.

Ewww, doctors' receptionists... 'nuff said! :wall:

Your foot problem sounds painful, so hope you can get another appointment soon. Does your surgery have a web-booking facility yet? Last year, ours began to allow bookings through My Health Online https://www.myhealthonline-inps.wales.nhs.uk/mhol/home.jsp which is rather good. For example: ask for an appointment at the reception-desk, and the date given, will be for a week or more ahead. Go home and log on to My Health, and you can choose a next-day appointment. Very nice. Of course, it will probably not be quite so convenient when more folk catch-on to the idea and start to book that way. (Btw, if your surgery does have this in place, you'll need to speak to one of the reception-dragons, and get a short form to fill-in. You're then given an ID number to use on the website.)

Very glad to hear your cancer check-up went well, but sorry about the problem with your teeth. Would you be a candidate for implants, I wonder? They can be done free on the NHS for folk who have suffered mouth cancers - providing the treatment would be suitable, of course. Might be worth asking about options before being relieved of all your gnashers.... assuming you've not already done so, that is.

All the very best to you. :cheers:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh, and once all your teeth are gone, you cannot 'bite' you gums together, and you'll have to find alternative foods, like peanut butter instead of peanuts. :mad:

thought I'd cheer you up a bit. :)

No probs Mucks, I haven't been able to eat peanuts or peanut butter since Dec 2006, peanut butter is way too dry for me, I'd likely choke on it should I ever attempt to eat it without aid from a source of extra moisture. Nearest I ever get to peanuts is a runny Sate sauce.

I have found that people really do fail to understand eating probs caused by lack of saliva, it is, after all, something most folk take for granted. Even if folks have trouble chewing most have no probs swallowing. I have trouble with both now.

Still, could be worse, oral cancers are such that voice box removal is quite common which means some people can only take in nourishment through a permanent tube in their stomach and a pumped drip feed - great fun eh? :) So when I sometimes get down I think of that and how I'm actually quite lucky.

It does make eating eating out - and thereby travelling - a problem though, I've pretty much given up on holidays, too frightening, and even a day trip to Thorpe Park or somewhere can present problems.

I saw the doc, have had my foot x-rayed, he tells me it's something to do with my bone - osteropasis? (or whatever it's called). He also took my blood pressure and so while I was at hospital for the x-ray I also had an ECG - doesn't look good to me, we shall see what Quack says.

And he also took a blood sample to measure my cholesterol level. Well at least he's looking after me I suppose. I will look into online dating, er, sorry online appointments ;)

Finished a project I'd started in November this evening, an electronic speed controller for one of my turntables. It has fine speed control for 33, 45 & 78 and I can also adjust supply voltage, currently have it set to 230V AC.

It may be my imagination but I swear the sound is more focused, but need to do more listening. This controller was designed by a guy on a turntable forum I take part in and he had a batch of PCB's made to order which were delivered in late December last year. I'm not the quickest constructor ;)

By coincidence this fella, now living on The Isle Of Wight, used to go to one of the rock discos I used to do near Ilford in Essex. Small world eh?

Here's just a few pix of it:

8795d1393718303-flops-friday-mini-blog-516.jpg

8796d1393718316-flops-friday-mini-blog-490.jpg

8797d1393718326-flops-friday-mini-blog-494.jpg

Attachments

• 516.jpg
    516.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 240
  • 490.jpg
    490.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 226
  • 494.jpg
    494.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 211

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Are they valves I see in there Mr Flopp's..

ECG's are always scary looking, take it easy Flopp's I'm sure its probably fine.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Nearest I ever get to peanuts is a runny Sate sauce.
err, that be peanut butter after you nuked it for 5secs, add a few chilli flakes before nuking. Fact is, many "recipes" use peanut butter instead of crushing roasted peanuts. :lol:

dry mouth :( I can relate to that, but it's only temporary, usually after me afternoon kip, asleep with mouth wide open ... a glass of Don Simon's apple juice is a quick way to re-energise my saliva glands, it's just pure crushed apples, the acidity makes one drool.

I love the look of that "speed controller" the volt meter & valve make it look a little 'steam punk Victorian' ... great job. Do you turn it of, or leave it on? I read/heard somewhere (RAF?) that valves do there best if never turned off, and last longer.

:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've only ever made my own sate sauce, with peanut butter, I'm not that much of a purist and if it works then do it. Here's a recipe including the sauce details, was always a favourite of my three girls, this one:

Spicy Pork with Sate Sauce

This recipe is in two parts, the meat preparation and the sauce.

Can be made with either pork tenderloin or chicken breasts, ingredient quantities not critical, adjust to your own taste.

The combination of the sauce and the marinated meat is quite sublime.

The meat:

4 boneless chicken breasts or the same amount of pork tenderloin (Pork is best)

The marinade:

3 tablespoons dark soy sauce (Kiko is best)
3 tablespoons water
4 cloves crushed garlic

Cut the meat into bite size pieces, combine marinade ingredients, mix both together and leave in container for at least 8 hours, preferably 24 hours.

The sauce:

4oz Crunchy peanut butter
One medium onion, chopped finely
Oil to fry onion with
About a one inch slice of creamed coconut or about one third of a tin of coconut milk
One tablespoon dark soy sauce
One tablespoon lemon juice
Half to one teaspoon chilli powder, depending on taste
2 teaspoons brown sugar.

In a saucepan fry onion gently til soft
Add chilli powder, sugar & peanut butter
Slow heat & stir then add coconut
Slow heat and stir, add water if too thick
Cook meat in a wok on high heat until ready

Add soy sauce and lemon juice to sauce, stir, simmer a couple of minutes.

Serve meat and sauce with plain boiled rice or plain noodles.

I e-mailed my Doc ECG result and he phoned me today and halved the dose of my daily beta-blocker pill and asked me to see him in 4 weeks. It would seem he is of the opinion that I'm not about to peg it in the next month then.

In the pix of my speed controller above, btw, the valves in the lower part of the pic are part of my headphone amplifier and between that and the controller is a shelf, 2 completely different items. Today I fitted 4 x 22mm knobs replacing the 4 x 16mm knobs as I think they look better and they help hide the bright silver metal of the pots' nuts and shafts.

8807d1394058238-flops-friday-mini-blog-dscf1560.jpg

On the day I took the footage of the busker, after that I walked up to the observatory and there I received a phone call from my mate Ray who was driving home to central France from Scotland, having worked on doing some building restoration work on a castle near Stirling, apparently.

So I met him down the pub and we had a couple and that, for me, was pretty much the end of a useful day ;)

Now, shield your eyes, here's me down the pub that afternoon and I've also put a pic here of some people that I know, including Ray on the left. I've known Ray, btw, since I was about 14 years old.

8808d1394058256-flops-friday-mini-blog-faceachepic800.jpg

8809d1394058284-flops-friday-mini-blog-800_002.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1560.JPG
    DSCF1560.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 195
  • Faceachepic800.jpg
    Faceachepic800.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 800_002.jpg
    800_002.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 206