Flops' Friday mini blog

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It's good to see you blogging again Sir Flopps, I've missed reading your exploits over my morning coffee.

Sorry to hear about your HDD woes... that was a bit rough. Don't these manufacturers care about customer-goodwill any more? Apparently not very much...

Ah the meeces. Yup, I too had to renew mine just a week or so ago. It was a Logi G500s, about a month short of its first birthday, but it seemed to have lost some of its responsiveness in games, although it's still perfectly fine for 'ordinary' PC tasks.

Anyway, I purchased another identical mouse. Probably should have gone for a different brand, but it feels pretty comfortable to use, and I'm happy with the button lay-out, etc. We'll see how well this one lasts. Meanwhile, the older one is still in use on hubby's PC..... after his mouse developed a fault! (That too, was a Logi, different model, but...)

Hope you get lots of good and enjoyable service from your new Steel Series Rival.

Ooh, did you happen to take any photos when you visited the classic car display..? I rather like the nostalgia of mooching around old motors. :)

Congrats, it sounds like you had a good find with the Technics turntable. Bet it's looking (and sounding) great after you worked your magic on it. (Of course, that's another photo hint.)

Looking forward to your HMS Bulwark pics too :thumb:

Glad to hear you've no impending medical appointments coming up. Always good to have a break from those, methinks... Good health to you Sir Flopps :cheers:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'll sort out some pics of the Navy Boat, Car shows and the saved turntable, gimme a while.

I’ve just realised that the mouse that died on me was a Logitech G500, not a G5 as I thought, I still have my pair of G5’s, Mk I & Mk II, in use on my main machine and on the Socket A/Win 98 computer. Oh well.

Life is a minestrone, here’s a regular dish of mine, soup made with fresh ingredients, almost a meal in itself, I often make food like this as for me it’s easy to consume with my eating difficulties and it be chock full of goodness. It also tastes pretty good.

8904d1404255552-flops-friday-mini-blog-minestrone.jpg

The Steam games sale, as usual I spent too much but here’s a summary. Mucks posted a link to some cheap games so I bought five for just under £4. Two were ok so I guess that kinda works out at £2 each which, all things considered, is pretty good value. They were:

Capsized - £1.19
Rock Of Ages - £1.39
Adventures Of Shuggy - £0.39p
Defy Gravity Extended - £0.18p
Marlow Briggs and the Mask Of Death - £0.79p

By far the best of those is Marlow Briggs and it only cost 79p, in fact it’s the only one I’ve really enjoyed playing so far. It’s old school, corny, the game engine is not the best ever invented, but it kept my attention and is quite good fun.

Capsized is also pretty good, I played some late in the evening and it showed promise, I shall return to this in a less tired and more sober moment.

The other three, imo, are a complete waste of time, all rubbish.

Adventures of Shuggy is difficult and frustrating as hell, the game engine isn’t very good and using the Microsoft Controller to play, the character always seems to overshoot your intended target. I gave it 30 minutes and consigned it to ‘mistake’.

Rock Of Ages is awful, difficult to control and the MS Controller wouldn’t work with it. And even if it did work well it’s basically a tarted up game of skittles. Not for me.

Defy Gravity Extended might have been pretty good in 1996 or in the days of the BBC B Microcomputer but on a 2014 computer it’s pretty much a pile of old tosh. Ignore.

So, that’s the cheap games. I noticed Wolfenstein: The New Order had been reduced from £34.99 in the Steam sale to £23.44 but on a whim I checked the price of the game on Amazon and they were selling a hard copy for £20.20 inc free delivery so I ordered it from Amazon and it arrived two days later. Came on 4 DVD’s, took around 90 minutes to install, the disks loaded 73% and Steam loaded the remainder.

I’ve played 8 hours so far and I have to say this is the best game I’ve played for about 3 years – it’s brilliant. There are five difficulty levels and I’ve been playing on the middle level which is ‘Normal’. There have been a few hard moments, particularly the arrival of two big robots that you have to battle together, that was quite hard, but so far I’ve managed.

But, if you do get stuck or frustrated, you can chop and change difficulty level throughout the game as you see fit, which is pretty good. The auto-save is fair but I wish they could have provided the ability to save whenever you like. I’d recommend this game.

And, this isn’t a spoiler, but so far in the game I’ve had one instance where you go back to the original 3D Escape From Castle Wolfenstein, the pre-Doom game, and they have re-created it perfectly complete with cheesy midi music, that was really good. You can enter this level if you come across a bed and it says ‘Nightmare’ but once you die, that’s it, you can’t re-enter, and presumably you have to find another link to have another go.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengenance - £9.99 Well, I’m glad I didn’t pay the full £30 for this one. It’s ok, and worth buying cheap, but it’s more cut scene than action and the combat is largely button mashing on the controller and hoping for the best, if you’’ve played any of these Japanese offerings before – such as Bayonetta on the Xbox 360 – you’ll know what I mean.

Still, I do return to it, which must mean it’s enjoyable. I’ve often wondered why these Japanese game-makers have their in-game characters as some weird multi-racial cross between Superman and your regular Japanese male citizen. I have never seen a real Japanese fella look anything vaguely like these computer game heroes, they all look like Mr Universe USA with a vague hint of coming from the land of the rising sun. Weird.

Final Fantasy VIII - £3.39. Not played it yet.
Batman Arkham Origins - £5.74. Not played it yet.
Resident Evil: Revelations - £7.49. Not played it yet
Amnesia A Machine For Pigs - £3.37 Not played it yet

Faery: Legends Of Avalon - £5.24. This is an absolute bunch of crap, really awful. The game engine is rubbish, the graphics are rubbish, the voice acting is rubbish, in fact it’s all rubbish. It may have impressed slightly in 1997 but not now. Do not waste your money.

Lego Movie The Videogame - £5.74. Haven’t played it yet but I’m very fond of all the Lego games, great puzzles, entertaining, not too taxing and with a sense of humour. Good to relax to.

Skullgirls plus 2 x DLC - £4.97. Another take on Mortal Kombat. Not bad, not bad, quite difficult but I haven’t played it on the easiest setting yet. If you see it going for £3 or less without the DLC and you like Kombat games then buy it. Works well with MS Controller.

And finally, I saw Call Of Duty Ghosts in an 8 hour flash sale half price for £20 so I bought it. I’m only going to play the single player campaign so I figured twenty quid was worth it. I won’t be playing multiplayer as I don’t think it’s worth playing any CoD MP unless you have all the extra maps and that means purchasing the ‘DLC’ and I wouldn’t mind betting the available ‘DLC’ costs more than I paid for the basic game, so screw ‘em.

So, there we are, highs and lows and some good stuff (I hope) to look forward to trying and playing. Of course I spent far too much but I don’t go out so much these days, I’m not running a car any more and penny for penny, computer gaming is a a lot cheaper form of entertainment than visiting pubs, cinemas, music venues or your local magistrates court

Attachments

• minestrone.jpg
    minestrone.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 252

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
soup! :drool:

I do a similar sort of 'soup' meself. A bit o' chicken can go a long way with loads of vegies. :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It's really hard to beat a good home-made soup. They're tasty, hearty and very satisfying. It's a favourite meal here too, so another thumbs-up. :thumb: Hope you enjoyed it Flopps... and any chance your PCR buddies could all come over next time you make it? We'll bring beverages... :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Daughter No.2 does a really good soup if she turns up here for a few days. She gets all the veg that's on its last legs but still edible and concocts wonderful soup usually with a mild curry flavour. It's always different because the vegetables are so variable and the flavouring is just whatever she throws in.

We jokingly call it her Rotting Vegetable Soup. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hello everybody peeps how you going innit?

Big Issue! Big Issue! God bless you Sir nice day Sir.

Oops, wrong pitch.

I made some new vinyl storage, cop a Captain Cook at this:

At around 1020 LP's and 50-odd singles I had almost run out of space.

So I went up, as them Pink Fairies were wont to warble.

The space across my 3 Expedit units and computer desk was 2.6M and the longest timber board I could find was 2.35M. I considered having a worktop cut to size but it wouldn't have been so aesthetically pleasing to me mince pies.

I used a 400mm wide piece of board for the base, uprights 33.5cm high by 300mm deep and a 300mm pice of board across the top. Where the construction crossed the computer desk I added a couple of struts for rigidity under load. I used the full length 2.35M boards then assembled a small piece to fit at the end which almost gives the illusion of continuity.

What with cutting to size, varnishing and sanding down, including some natural wood filler to cover screws, it took me a week to put it together.

I don't own a motorised conveyance but me mate Ray was visiting from St Sebastien in France and he had a car long enough for me to collect the wood from B & Q.

Only problem is I don't have a home for several plants and ornaments now.

After completion I categorised some records, from left to right in the pic below: Classical; reggae; Various Artists inc OST's; Singles and at the end 'Cheesy tosh' mainly sixties stuff like Connie Francis, Herman's Hermits, Lou Christie, Petula Clark - real cringe inducing stuff which I sometimes get a perverse desire to listen to.

836g0Hfh.jpg

7wPhJqIh.jpg

And today I bought a brand new triple vinyl LP - Abba Live At Wembley Arena November 1979 and it cost me £28. It just happens to be the concert I attended there which I've probably mentioned before.

Me mate Arfur worked security at Wembley and got me in for nothing, I certainly wouldn't have paid to see Abba at the time but to my surprise it was a very enjoyable show.

As mentioned above had a friend over for six days last week got me out boozin' five nights on the trot which is pretty unheard of for me these days but lottsa fun. On the last Thursday of every month there is a custom car show in Greenwich Market Square which we went to.

Finally left the Admiral Hardy pub at 1am but not before sorting out some Irish geezer with a young floozy. Well, she wasn't that young, apparently she was some consultant or other in the medical trade. Paddy was 32 years old and expressed a desire to talk to this lady but he was shy.

So friend Ray talked to her, invited her over and introduced them. We'd never met either of them before. As we left they were rabbiting like a house on fire, I wonder if Paddy, you know, well - did he? lol ;)

I have some snaps of Paddy, The Consultant and the motor cars and motor cycles, I'll put a few up presently.

I got paid for some work and I bought a new camera, I now own a Fujifilm X Pro 1 with a Fujinon 35mm f1.4 lens. This things built like a tank and has a great manual focus facility, which is what I've been missing in compact cameras. It's not that small though, bigger than my Fujifilm X20 but smaller than a typical DSLR.

Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, looking forward to using it. It hasn't got a flash and I'm told the Fuji EF-20 is the flash gun of choice for this camera. I got the camera on Ebay, as new, for a good price and bought the lens new from London Camera Exchange in The Strand.

I've had my Fujifilm X20 for a year now but I have barely glanced at the manual and have used it mostly just to point and shoot, which is a bit of a crime, really. I'm going to study the manual for the X Pro 1, I do intend to get proficient with this one. Not sure whether to keep the X20 for the convenience of it's compact size or sell it. I'll probably sell it, they're fetching on average about £325 on Ebay and mine has a spare battery, a case and it's as new with box.

Daughters are all ok, Lucy's racing white chariots with flashing blue lights through Cardiff; Sophie is now head of history dept at the secondary school in Bath where she teaches, which is unusual for a 25-year-old and Faye is still working in the office of a fire alarm company at Blackfriars.

Don't tell them I told you but I have to confess that as they've reached mid-twenties they are all definitely a little wider of girth. Only a little mind you ;)

Pix of people, camera, LP, cars, bikes and offspring to follow.

muckshifter

Reaction score
... as always, Sir Flops, the job's a good un. :)

I couldn't help notice you dropped some black-nd-white spaghetti behind your desk, watch out for high-rise mooses. :lol:.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
You've done an excellent carpentry job on your record storage Sir Flopps. Not only practical, but looks jolly good too. I reckon you should feel very proud of that. :thumb:

Congrats on the new camera, it sounds great; I hope you'll enjoy many hours of happy-snapping (and will share some of the results with us here on PCR, of course.)

Glad to hear your girls are doing so very well in their chosen careers too. :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Looks like a great job Mr Flopp's very neat and organised..:)

New camera eh and sounds very nice too, I also have just bought a new camera aswell so am in the same boat as you with getting to grips with it, but boy its a helluva piece of tech and takes some stunning images!

The girls sound like their all doing fine mate..Don't think you got any worries there..;)

For your info I listen to Abba quite a lot and the Blonde one has stopped being a recluse and has a made a new album, she still sounds pretty good too

Until next time

Reaction score
Just bough R-Kive by Genesis and chilling out to the early stuff.

FBS i really need to come up to your area sometime as it's more virbrant than my area.
Might even buy you a pint!!!

darcy

Enjoyin' the Breeze
Reaction score
blimey, ~ you have been busy!
bloody well done, sir flopps! :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Let me regale you with my tale of today. I strolled to the post office to post jiffy bags here and there and on my way back visited the local Co-op supermarket store where I purchased two pints of full cream milk, a bar of chocolate and 4 cans of draught Guinness, all vital products to contribute to a healthy lifestyle, I’m sure you’ll agree.

Perambulating homeward bound along paving stones my be-booted toe caught a dislodged square and I stumbled. As I went from upright to horizontal my vision seemed to go slo-mo and I landed on my palm, rolled over and didn’t appear to be hurt. However, I felt liquid running down my face and I thought ‘Oh no – blood’. But the liquid was cold so it couldn’t have been blood. My eyes then focused on a single can of Guinness that had broken loose of it’s co-op carrier bag, had become punctured and from that pinhole wound was spraying a jet of beer in an arc that was landing squarely on the top of my head. Phew. Relief.

I then looked up and saw a group of about six people gathered round staring down at me. They were all even older than me and were asking ‘Are you ok?’. I was lying spread-eagled on the pavement with my shopping strewn round me with a steady stream of Ireland’s finest stout raining down upon my countenance. I replied ‘I’m ok but I think my ego has taken a bit of a bashing, I am severely embarrassed.’ I stood up, jumped around a bit, waved my arms, wiggled my legs and smiled at my elderly well-wishers.

I had convinced them I wasn’t about to peg it and they melted away. I scooped up my shopping and scurried home as quick as I could realising I smelled like a brewery. Shower time. Clothes into washing machine. Why does this happen to me?

muckshifter

Reaction score
damn, it's always the good stuff that gets spilt ... :mad:

... and I was talking about the beer, just in case anyone thought otherwise. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Glad you weren't hurt Flopps - well apart from the injury to your dignity, that is... plus that can of Ireland's finest!

Your description of the event is priceless and tickled the chuckle-muscles muchly. (Heh-heh, try saying that after imbibing the remaining dark and foamy survivors of your escapade!)

:cheers:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
had become punctured and from that pinhole wound was spraying a jet of beer in an arc

Hope you had the ability to realign your head so that the said beer was describing an arc into your mouth. Wouldn't want to waste it. :D

With beer all over your head there would probably have been a strong aroma of alcohol in the vicinity - the old codgers probably thought you were drunk, lying there on the ground. :D

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Did you manage to hold a digit over the hole in the can of Ireland's finest until you got home ?:D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
For a minute there I thought you were going to say that they all thought you were a p***head covered in guinness and landing drunkenly on the pavement, like a lot of alcoholics do..:D

You do put some funny mental pictures in my mind sometimes Mr Flopps!

Priceless :lol:

Reaction score
I hope you drank what was left of the guiness as in some countries you could be jailed if you did not!

Glad your ok FBS and it probably happens to you as someone has it in for you?:lol:

Ask a Question